1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving Skills for life - a Ford initiative

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by anoop, Sep 19, 2011.

1. anoop

anoop Superiore

Ford have been conducting 'Driving Skills For Life' (https://www.drivingskillsforlife.com/) program in many countries and now they have started doing same in India also.

When they started, they were giving the classes to the bus drives in ford factory, cab drivers of fleet operators who brought Ford cars and Ford customers, but last week they did their first reach-out session for members of Team-BHP community.

As a Team-Bhp member, I was eligible and I promptly registered and attended the course.

Since the theme was drive safe, and the message of drive safety is very relevant, I am sharing the pointers here:

The whole session was well organised - the venue was Metro Ford (St. Marks Road). The organizers restricted the class number to 35 so that the program will be more effective, the venue had 2 LCD TVs and 2 microphones so that every one can see and hear what is being discussed and the participants were provided with Pens, Notepads, manuals, bottled water and a very decent pizza lunch from Dominos. For the practical session, the venue was NICE road - the transpiration was arranged in a bus and we had a Fiesta Classic and a Figo for practicals.

The trainer Mr.Kaushik was a down to earth and funny fellow and he is a part of this program for about 2 years now. The program centered on a magic triangle - Safe, Economic and Eco Friendly driving.

The PPT slides were good, peppered with video clips to re-iterate the points. Many of the clips really served to show the practical aspect of the training.

(Mods: Breaking down into small posts to aid readability)
  2. anoop

anoop Superiore

The main points discussed were:

Effect of slowing down\driving slow. When you travl 50 kmph, you are covering 13+ mtr in one second. Just calculate how many seconds you need to start action and how many seconds you need to stop your car, and multiply with 13 - you will roughly get an idea how much distance your car will cover before you can come to a stand still.

The more fast you drive, the less your peripheral vision is.

Wear seat belts - not only the driver, but urge your co-passenger and those who sits in rear seat to buckle up. Seat belts can really save lives.

Avoid Distractions: it takes only 3 seconds to lose your complete concentration. Please say no to attending calls on mobile, texting or other distractions. A big NO-No to drink and drive.

The car is NOT a cupboard. Stop piling up things in car. 20 kg of extra weight will decrease fuel efficiency by 1%. Please do not put stuff on the rear parcel tray. Under hard breaking, things on rear tray can fly and injure you. Do not leave loose objects, bottle etc on the car floor. They can roll down and can even jam the pedals. Just imagine a Pepsi can which got lodged under your break pedal after rolling down from rear seat.
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

Use 1500-2500 RPM or the green zone to maximise economy. Do not hesitate to up shift. Use RPM wisely and it will increase your mileage. 30 to third, 40 to fourth and 50 to fifth gear.

Turn off the ignition when you are in signals which are more than 60 s. Turning off and turning on ignition will not decrease the life span of yoru starter motor.
    Let me share something I learned from a fellow T-BHPian and Fellow TFI ian (Sorry - I forgot your name :( ) - He drives a Fiat Linea and he tried measuring his mileage when he switch off at signals and when he do not switch off at signals. On a tank full, he was able to travel 145 km extra in Bangalore traffic when he switch off his car during signals.

Keep 3 seconds time between your car and the car in front of you. If it is raining, keep 6 seconds gap.

If the road is clear and you are sure that you have to stop, coast to a halt.

Take your foot from accelerator if you are anticipating a stop - the idle speed will keep the car moving.

A car in idle for 3 minutes consume roughly safe fuel when you travel 1 minute in 50 kmph (which is slightly less than 1 km).
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Hey anoop thnx for the sharing this & you must've enjoyed too.Nice initiative by FORD I must say.All manufacturers should think alike.BTW where was this held??
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

Keep the RVMs open all the time. Use all three RVMs when drive.

A liter of petrol produce over two kilograms of carbon dioxide.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you can - you may not be able to change the world, but try to change yourself and try to change one fellow driver at a time. Small drops of water makes the Ocean (Ok, I admit I made this up :p )
  6. anoop

anoop Superiore

After the theory, it was time for practical sessions. We were carted off to NICE road in a small bus.

We had a Ford Fiesta with ABS and a Figo with ABS in our disposal.

The practical session had three sections:

Breaking - two volunteers were chosen for each car (one driver and other guy to make sure that the driver does not exceed 50 kmph) and they were instructed to drive and reach a spot marked by two warning triangles on the road at a speed of 50kmph, and when car reached the marked spot, they were instructed to break hard.

Rest of us were asked to guess the distance they will take to stop the car.

Even though the circumstances were under control - closed road, driver know where to break - different guys took different distances to break.

Moral: Slow down, you cannot always guess how much distance you need to break.

Breaking when you follow another car - again, 2 set of volunteers were chosen and 2 cars started simultaneously from a point A. the lead car can break any time he decides - the other car have to second guess and stop as soon as first car stops.

On all the tests, no one was able to stop the second car as soon as first car was stopped. Now imagine you were doing one car behind another instead of driving parallel - it would have been a sure tail ending.

Moral : keep a safe distance - at least 3 seconds - between your car and the car on the lead.

Keep that foot off accelerator: the volunteers were asked to reach a speed to 50 and take their feet from all pedals. The car rolled on and on under its momentum and using idle speed. When not in need, do not rev, just let the car drive under idle RPM.

Moral: when nearing a red light, or when you are anticipating a stop, use the momentum of the car - it will save fuel.
  7. anoop

anoop Superiore

Sharing the screen shots of the manual handed out by Ford:
    (PS: the screen shots are taken by the user @uday.ere at Team-BHP. I have obtained his permission before sharing them)

IMAGE_393.jpg

IMAGE_396.jpg

IMAGE_397.jpg

IMAGE_398.jpg

IMAGE_399.jpg

IMAGE_401.jpg

IMAGE_402.jpg

IMAGE_403.jpg

IMAGE_404.jpg

IMAGE_405.jpg

IMAGE_406.jpg
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

Yes Aaron - It was a good refresher course.

the course were held at Metro Ford (St. Marks Road), Bangalore on 18th September.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Basics but very important tips.
    So true, so many people (including my friends) always close the passenger side ORVM, so make ~200 rs glass safe. But actually it risks the body scratch from that side.
  10. jubthomson

jubthomson

Bangalore
    Thanks Ravi, very nice and informative. Though we know lot of this rules, no body bothered to follow. Let me try what all I can follow from today onwards...:cool: