1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving on Low rpms in MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Tarun, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    @ MODS - i wasn't able to fine a thread relating to my query so making the thread, if there is already a such thread plz merge ..

hi members.. i have a query here, I like to drive my 1.3 MJD punto on torque to get high mileage even in city driving :rolleyes: ... while doing so car hovers arnd 1000 RPM. My question is, is it safe to drive the car at low RPM, keeping in mind tat engine don't stalls, cuz atleast i know in what speed range i should use which gear... was just worrying about the negative effect on engine :confused::confused:
    Please enlighten me :)
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    1000 is too low buddy. It'll be lugging the engine.

Try and keep it above 1500rpm or near the rpm where the max torque is produced. But, keep in mind that turbo diesels don't always like to be driven sedately. Once in a while do make a 5-6km trip keeping rpm's above 2000. The engine and the catalyst would appreciate that.

Gurjinder.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey Tarun, even I am following 1500rpm as the minimum I drive at. I downshift if my needle is below 15 mark on the tacho.

Alao, if you have to upshift, go to 2000rpm and then upshift so that you are at 1500rpm in next gear.
  4. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Keep it above 1500Rpm as suggested by others. 1000Rpm is low, and the up shifts should be made above 1700Rpm so that to avoid lag..
  5. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    thanks all ..
    @ Gurjinder .. yeh bro i have to drive almost a 250 kms one a Week ..
  6. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Tarun, by the way, what is your driving pattern? Highway and city Kms per month etc.

On highways, you can even extract 25kmpl over provided there are not many slow downs required and you don't go above 80kmph even once. Stay between 60-80kmph.
  7. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey Tarun, whats your driving pattern and usage? Highway vs city, monthly run, road conditions and traffic etc?

Whats the FE you are targetting?
  8. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    @ paddleshifter
    well bro as i said i take a long trip in every week atleast, travels arnd 300kms updown ..
    i always target to achieve arnd 19-20 mileage .. i always drive arnd 100 though .. u knw just can;t control when u have such engine in hood ..
    and in city i shifts to 3rd or 4th gear ASAP.. and let the torque pull the car by itself .. though as suggested by u guys i won't do tat again ..
  9. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    A good idea is to keep the instant consumption display on in the MID. If your rpm falls too low and you are lugging the engine, the mileage will drop. Same way, if you rev it too much the same will happen. In short, the ICC will force you to drive the car economically and help you extract the best mileage.
  10. RollingIce

RollingIce Amatore

Pune
    Hi Gurjinder,
    In city driving, the only time I go above 1500 rpm is on a clean flyover or if I am just too lucky.Mostly the torque pulls the car.
    Anyways thanks for suggesting it,Henceforth I will try to go above that mark; but I am not sure if I can.

-Srijit