1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Drive to Harihareshwar, Shrivardhan and Dive agar

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by rajeev_pillai, Jun 8, 2011.

1. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Planning for a family trip for long, initially planned to visit my cousin at Ahemdabad on Easter holidays, but was dropped later as they are travelling to Bengaluru. Searched online for a weekend destination that is not so far from Mumbai. But we were late in planning so, stay options in most of the destinations were unavailable. Again on a web search, came across this site http://www.konkanyatra.com/, which was giving itineraries and details. Based on which Harihareshwar, Shrivardhan & Dive agar was selected. :)

Contacted my friend Ranjith, who also showed interest in the trip. Stay options were also searched from that site and booked at Lambe resorts initially, but later came to know that one of our family friend’s cousin has a house which he rents out at Shrivardhan, so contacted him immediately and booked for 22nd April, 2011. :clap

We had packed our luggage well in advance to avoid any kind of delay. We were planning to start by 5.00 am. But last minute delays pushed it to 6.00am. Route selected was Dombivili -->Shilphata ->Kalamboli-->Panvel-->Pen-->Vadhakal naka--> Mangaon-->Harihareshwar. Reached Pen at 8.00 am and found a nice hotel for B/F. It had a good parking space and the food was really tasty. Vedant and Niranjan were playing in the courtyard. But while playing Vedant fell down and got a scratch near his left eye. We left Pen around 9.30am towards Wadhakalnaka, and took the left turn from there :steering

The condition of NH17 was good, but it's single line and doesn’t have divider and one may find it difficult to overtake a slow moving, loaded trucks. There were traffic on some narrow bridges but we were able to pass through. Took a right turn at Mangaon after the ST depot towards Shrivardhan. Stopped somewhere in between for our first photo session.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Then it was a non-stop drive, the roads were in good shape, also there were signboards (though some may confuse). There are few hair pin and S shaped bends in the ghat section, but Punto handled it very nicely. No complaints about loss of power on incline that too with A/C ON. Reached Harihareshwar at 1.30pm, had Darshan at the Kalbhairav temple and tried to complete the ‘pradakshina’, but due to high tide, so couldn’t complete it. (For information: The path for pradakshina is halfway through sea.). Had lunch from a nearby home for Rs.70 for a veg ‘thali’. Food was really nice also we were starving.

Picture 007.jpg
    Harihareshwar temple

Picture 006.jpg
    Harihareshwar beach

Picture 012.jpg
    With Kids

Picture 014.jpg
    Harihareshwar pradakhina pathway

Picture 019.jpg

Picture 025.jpg
    With Niranjan

Picture 017.jpg

Picture 021.jpg

Left Harihareshwar by 3.00pm towards Shrivardhan, which is 18Kms away, but the journey took around an hour due to my sedate driving style after the lunch. Reached Shrivardhan, checked in to the room. After resting for a while went to the beach. Beach was clean and not crowded, so we could easily find an empty space to build a castle. Vedant was not interested in the construction work, so he changed the group and joined some biker boys from Pune to play football. I started roaming around and clicking pictures. Wanted to take the sunset picture, but there was a cliff in between. Managed to get only these.

Picture 030.jpg
    Shrivardhan beach1

Picture 072.jpg
    Shrivardhan beach2

Picture 033.jpg

Picture 051.jpg
    Shrivardhan beach3

Picture 049.jpg

Returned to the lodge at 7.30pm, fully exhausted. Had a refreshing bath and a konkan style dinner, chit-chatted for a while and before sleeping.

to be continued.........

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice, some really breadth taking pictures.
  3. Aanand

Aanand Amatore

This is delightful.
    Yeh dil maange more...
  4. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Ravi sir & Aanand sir,
    Thanks for your comments, Yes, more photos are waiting to be published.

5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Day2 had a lazy start, got ready by 11am and drove to Dive Agar. First plan was to go to Dive agar Ganpati temple, then to beach. The drive from Shrivardhan to Dive agar is unforgettable due to nature’s beauty. Stopped at many places for photographs and even posed with dry fishes. ;)

Picture 090.jpg

Picture 106.jpg

Picture 113.jpg

Picture 115.jpg

Picture 116.jpg

Picture 122.jpg

Picture 127.jpg

Picture 132.jpg

Picture 138.jpg

Picture 155.jpg

Picture 160.jpg

Picture 162.jpg

Picture 180.jpg
    Fishing boats

Picture 196.jpg
    Dry Fish

Picture 202.jpg

Picture 236.jpg
    He missed all the fun on the way

Roads were narrow but the surface was good and traffic was very less. But when passing through villages, the road becomes crowded with children, cyclists, cows or hens and they are not comfortable with vehicles intruding into their territory. Also the only transportation method, the tum-tum rickshaws doesn’t follow/know :confused: any traffic rules and are unpredictable.:boxer

While crossing a village, on an incline one fiesta came very fast towards us. I was climbing the incline and there was a tar mixer on my left so I didn’t have chance to negotiate for space at left. The ORVMs of both vehicles collided and my driver side mirror fell down :( pulled over to check, but the other driver didn’t even bother to stop and check the damage. :hit

Continued the rest of the journey and reached Dive agar by 12.30pm. Had ‘Darshan’ of the golden Ganpati idol. Visit to the beach was dropped as it was really hot outside.

Picture 249.jpg

We left Dive agar at 2.30pm and drove towards Mahshala skipping lunch. This road is really good with less number of hairpin bends and one may tempt to speed up here. We saw a Mahindra Xylo toppled on a bend, consequence of speeding on a vehicle with high body roll :eek:.

By the time we reached Mangaon, everybody was feeling hungry, so halted there for a tea break. After that it was a nonstop drive till Kharghar. It was very difficult to overtake with no driver side ORVM. Reached Kharghar by 8.30pm. Had dinner from Cochin Arc, Kharghar which is famous for mallu non-veg food and reached home by 10pm.

It was my first long drive after the A/C upgrade and second service, and there is a remarkable difference in the a/c performance.:clapping

Total distance covered: 415 Km
    Economy: 12.8 Kmpl (100% A/C)
    Satisfaction: 100% :p
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Great Trip done Rajeev, and sorry to hear that ORVM fallen down due to the impact, might be the other guy got scared of stopping and watching the impact to his car, but sure he will repent the impact after having a look i think.
    Take care
  7. drarvindc

Great pics rajeev., Still using the default seatcovers? Pardon me, but what do you mean by A/C upgrade? Missing ORVM can be a pain especially when one is used to it.
  8. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks Tony and Arvind,
    @Arvind: Yes...still having the default seat covers.
    A/C upgrade by FIAT for all petrol cars. Details here
    Actually the mirror came off from its holder, I fixed it back just by pushing it, but I need to replace it as it is broken...

9. Aanand

Aanand Amatore

Thanks Rajeev.
    The drive (latter half of 12 kms) from Shrivardhan to Diveagar is truly picturesque.
    Suggest visit the Diveagar beach next time, either in the morning or in the evening.
    And, have lunch at the Bapat's.
  10. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks Aanand sir for the comments and pointers,
    Next time I'll try the ferry route to Dhighi.