1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Drive Shaft Change Required

Discussion in 'Technical' started by vista7155, Oct 8, 2015.

1. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    Hi,
    I require a quick suggestion about the drive shaft Change.
    My car met with accident 2 months back and was repaired by Vecto ASS but now i am getting KAT KAT sound when car is climbing from left side and steering is locked full on the left side but when we do the same exercise on the right side there is no issue.
    SA from ASS Aadya motors(opp to my office) told there is slight bent in drive shaft and change is required so can i go back to vecto and claim it under warranty or should i pay for the service? and also Aadya told they will be charging the service charges for this kind of replacement my car is under warranty till 2016 sep.
    Please help me out as the charges for replacement is costing about 8K around.

Note: Mod please merge it other thread if it is Existing
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    No charges at all.. It should come free to you.
  3. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vista7155
    do check before installing whether it is due to some hit or corrosion .you can just check whether the cover boots are torn or not.if its due to corrosion then you can definitely insist for warranty claim.also check the end connection of shaft if they have developed any play it will lead to bend.so do a thorough inspection yourself before proceeding
  4. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    hi,
    Thanks for the suggestion i have doubt on the ASS SA technical knowledge and skills so i have decided to go to FNG and get it checked personally and get the shocks aligned as ASS are big failure in aligning the Left drag issue.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vista7155
    Did you changed the drive shaft ? I'm experiencing the symptoms of kat kat sound while steering towards left.
    What's the life of drive shaft ?
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Its noise of CV joint possibly. Please verify.
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Ganges : please also check whether the rubber boot on the axle (CV) has some cut? if it's cut, all the wax inside will mix with dirt and becomes hard. if your car wobbles at particular speed then yes , you need a drive shaft replacement. the life of a drive shaft varies on the usage, i had to replace the RHS drive shaft after 80k. (in i10)
    but as per my knowledge, if you hear any noise while turning the steering it will be mostly associated with the tie rods. if drive shaft joints are gone bad (inner CV and Outer CV joint) you will hear the sound even on a bad patch.
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @asimpleson
    I can also feel vibrations at slow speeds, the vibrations are felt on car floor. Precisely, car shakes at slower speeds. At higher speeds vibrations are reduced slowly.

@Deepak
    I didn't see any fluid leakage from CV, will get checked on ramp once.When asked with FASS Kolhapur, said that drive shaft has problem and need to replace. Still want to get assured about the drive shaft problem.

Currently, for vibration and shakes in car will replace with new tires, as tires are due to change. if still the problem not solved then will take a call to replace drive shaft.
    The ODO is now @1,86,000 Kms.So I'm prepared for long term mechanical part changes. Lets see how pocket bomb sounds :D
    PradeepM, asimpleson and Deepak like this.
  9. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Actually it won't be a fluid inside the CV joints, its more kinda wax type. If the fass has said drive shaft change, I hope they have found out it's LHS shaft or RHS. In some cases it's difficult to find which drive shaft has gone bad. In your case I think it will be LHS.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    Ganges likes this.
  10. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    @Ganges
    I didn't change the drive shaft.
    In FNG we put the car on the ramp and closely inspected we found the coconut shell struck near the LHS wheel and that was causing the sound and also found boot clamp was missing and got it fixed.
    The so called qualified SA was trying to fleece and make some quick buck.
    Ganges likes this.