1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Drive shaft Assembly & A-mounting bracket damaged

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by fiatlover, Apr 5, 2013.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    My Punto that till now used to listen to me, has now started making a big hole in my pocket.

After replacing the clutch kit at KHT recently, it is giving me a chain of worries. After taking delivery of the car after clutch replacement, my car was giving a metallic noise when releasing the clutch and pressing the accelerator. KHT asked me to get the car back to check up the issue. They acknowledged that there is an issue. They told me to leave the car for a day as it needs 7 hours work to open the clutch and gear box. End of the day I contacted Bharat to know the status. He told me that the car has gone for a test drive and will give me a call back in 10 minutes. He didnt call me back. I called him again after half an hour, says, No sir, the sound is till there, we need some more time, we will surely resolve the issue by tomorrow and deliver the car. This happened yesterday.

I called him again at around 12.pm today to check the status, he said they are still working on it. At 4.30, I called again to know whats happening. He tells me they have gone for a test drive and will call me back five minutes. Even after half an hour, no call. I call him again, he says, Sir, the noise issue is is resolved now, but there are two other issues.

1. Right drive shaft is damaged, and it is very unsafe to drive the car.
    2. A-mounting bracket damaged
    I asked him how come that you did not notice these issues until now?He says, this, that, blah, blah...
    I now even doubt whether they hot somewhere while doing the test drive to damage these two parts.
    I am disappointed and irrittated. Cursed the moment I decided to go to KHT for the work.

He quotes around 10k to replace these two parts, including labor. He says in advance that there is no guarantee that these will be covered in extended warranty.

I have already spent 10k for clutch and suspension replacement. That makes it 20k in two weeks. Now after I replace these two parts, I dont know what will be the next issue that will pop up.

All I have to say now is to pray "MERCY on me FIAT".
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
  2. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fiatlover,

Infact my car too is having this problem of Left drive shaft or CV joint making noise,which is coming from the broken balls in bearing inside the CV joint.When i turn my car on extreme left then only am hearing that slight ""KAD KAD" noise.TASS gave me estimate of 6k for the left AXLE with labor My left rear suspension needs replacement too.

Secondly boot rubber also need to be changed for my other CV joint.Any idea if boot rubber comes as a spare????.TASS here refused for boot rubber some time back to me and said please put new axle,there is no separate boot rubber available.:evilsmile:evilsmile
  3. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

I didn't understand what is CV joint. But as you said if there is a kad-kad noise when you rotate the steering wheel to either extreme ends then it is certainly the drive shaft. I had this problem in my Wagon R and MASS told me that if the kad-kad noise comes when rotating the steering wheel to right then its the left drive shaft gone and vice versa.
    By boot rubber if you mean to say the Axle boot which is the coned rubber part located at the wheel and drive shaft joint, then yes, axle boot can be replaced as a spare. It comes with a grease pouch which is filled into the boot while fitting. Got it recently done under warranty on my Punto's RHS front axle boot which was leaking. If out of warranty it wont cost more than Rs. 350.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

What is the Odo reading of your car Varoon?
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    since you live in blr i would strongly advice you to visit Mr Harish to get a second opinion.
    These service guys sometimes give us advices that are best ignored.
    Please get another opinion and then take the next step
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Some update:
    Went to KHT today to see the state of my Punto. One of the three bearings of the drive shaft is damaged and the drive shaft needs to be replaced. I have no clue how this happens this early at 29k kms on the odo. It is covered in extended warranty, but I am worried of what reasons they would find to deny warranty.
    Another thing is the engine mounts. The beading rubber inside the mounting bracket had started breaking off. If it was ignored now, it would have lead to disaster anytime.

What irritates me and frustrates me is that the technicians at KHT had to dismantle and refix the clutch and gear box twice to find out that the noise issue I reported was because of the damaged drive shaft.
    At the same time, I appreciate them noticing the breaking engine mount.
    engine mount broken.jpg

New engine mount after replacing
    replaced mount.jpg

I left the car at KHT on Thursday 4th. Only on Friday evening they discovered that the noise was because of the damaged drive shaft. Only on Saturday they requested for the extended warranty, which will be processed only by Monday afternoon, which means, if I am really lucky, I might get the car back on Tuesday.

Another thing, when they told me on Friday that drive shaft and mounts need replacement, I told Bharath clearly, NOT to replace these damaged parts until extended warranty is approved. I wanted to see the damage myself before the part is replaced. But when I went there on Saturday, they had already replaced the mounts and the damaged drive shaft, and showed me the parts supposed to be replaced from my car. He told me they fixed the new part and everything is fine. The car will delivered only after the warranty is approved or the payment is made from my own pocket. I dont understand why did not wait for the warranty approval/denial. I have to believe that the damaged part shown to me is actually removed from my car. I have no other choice.
  7. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Akshay bro,

my car has clocked 53,000 kms..

@ Fiatlover,

Drive shaft,CV joints are very much covered under warranty before 40,000 kms.Fight for it and get it done under warranty only.

@ Platinum shine,

Constant-velocity joints (aka homokinetic or CV joints) allow a drive shaft to transmit power through a variable angle, at constant rotational speed, without an appreciable increase in friction or play. They are mainly used in front wheel drive and all wheel drive cars. Rear wheel drive cars with independent rear suspension typically use CV joints at the ends of the rear axle halfshafts, and increasingly use them on the propshafts.
    Constant-velocity joints are protected by a rubber boot, a CV gaiter. Cracks and splits in the boot will allow contaminants in, which would cause the joint to wear quickly.Coming to boot rubber,yes they are the same which you have got changed.Thanks for telling they are available as spare.

One of the reasons for drive shaft and CV Joints to go bad is the torn rubber boot,get your rubber boot check after every 3000kms or whenever car goes for alignment.Small cut in rubber boot invites lot of dust and grim inside the joint,joint is always lubed and coated with grease inside the rubber boot and captures dust so easily and this dust plays the role and gets contaminated with the grease inside and spoils the bearing balls and leads to Kadd-kadd noise. front_cv_axle.jpg
    In my case my one of my boot was torn and learnt that later,though it was replaced with a new boot but dust did trick and kadd kadd is coming.If your car goes over lot of bad roads then you boots are much prone to get cut or torn.I drive on lot of bad (Kachha) roads with stones and pebbles when i visit Himachal.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    Ganges and platinumshine like this.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Yes he agreed that drive shaft and joints are covered in warranty when I showed him the extended warranty manual.
    In my case, the boot was NOT torn or cut, but the balls had come off from the bearing.
  9. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fiatlover,

that means you are getting it changed under extended warranty,If that's the case i think am also eligible for the same but i have clocked 53,000 in my odo.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    That is what I hope. Unlike concorde, KHT people always says "we will present it for extended warranty, if it is rejected, you will have to bear it". I never understand this statement. A part that is covered in extended warranty fails, we go for extended warranty claim, and it gets rejected! Then what is the use of extended warranty?