1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Door Locking - First time wrong!!!

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by shikhar10882, Aug 23, 2012.

1. This started yesterday morning, when I received a call from my Office Parking saying that my Linea was unlocked :shocked...
    I was quite sure that I had locked the Linea before leaving the parking. However, I rushed back to my Linea and pressed the 'Lock' button on the remote... and lo, here comes the second surprize... the car does not lock itself (locks and unlocks with flashing parking light).
    Before touching the car, I take a thorough round around the car looking for any irregularities - to find none.
    I opened and closed the driver-side door and tried locking again, thru remote and the car locked. :).
    Weary of the incident I came back to office and got busy for the rest of the day.
    The car normally unlocked itself in the evening and almost forgetting the incidence, and blaming myself for not closing the door properly, I drove off.
    But... as I parked her at home, and locked her, same problem re-occurred. This time I was even sure of having shut the door properly. when the car did not lock even in multiple attempts, I re-opened the driver side door and shut it again, it locked itself. After this I went thru the cycle of unlock -> open -> close -> lock -> unlock cycle multiple times, and with different doors, and all the operations performed just the way they should first time right.
    Had taken car for a spin at night and then came to office today morning.
    The finding is - if I park the car after a drive and then lock, the car wont lock the first time, but for once it has been locked, any amount of time the locking - unlocking cycles after any amount of gap of time is as smooth as ever.

WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS? :A

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

REQUEST TO MODS:
    It seemed like some electrical sensor issue to me, so I am posting the thread here. I am not sure if there is a mechanical device that confirms the proper closing of the door. Under this Dilemma, I am posting this thread in 'Electrical System'. You are the better judge if it is appropriate to keep it here, or to move it to Minor Issues, or some more appropriate place. Request you to do the needful please.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. hello shikhar
    had similar problem in my punto
    maybe one of ur door lock actuator might not be working.
    get them checked at fiat and if in warranty it will be replaced without any cost.
  3. Thanks for the pointer @Pulkit... Am gonna get it checked for sure during my next service if the need does not arise before that...
    For now, what I have done is, I have reset the remote (by removing and re-installing the battery)... And the car successfully locked herself when I parked her after return from office.
    Had got this idea from a colleague who drives a dzire and tells that he frequently needs to reset his system by pressing the lock and unlock button together for a couple of seconds...
    Let me track the performance for sometime and if the need arises, I will get it checked earlier or it gets added to the list of things to be attended to during the first service.
  4. And it's seems the pleasure were short lived... Had the same problem again today evening... And instead of a need to reopen and close the door... Mere re-pressing the lock button did the trick...
    By the way... More than 50 views and a single response???
    :anyone
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey Shikhar, how old is your car? This might not seem a very useful tip but try changing the battery of your remote key. It's a very simple DIY and the key uses a coin shaped battery.

Just rotate the screw slightly to the unlock position, and open the cover and the battery comes out with it. Screw is located somewhere here.

Photo seen below has been taken from Google Images. Copyright respective owners. :D

screw.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  6. lol .. thanks @paddleshifter...

I had tried taking out and re-instituating the battery.. and the things seemed to start working normally..
    Also, Just for checking - rechecking... i went thru a rapid lock - unlock cycle for ten times.. and (i do not know if that comes from Fiat as a feature list or what) but on the eleventh press of button, the car stopped responding for good ten seconds... and after that everything was normal as ever.. this put my doubt on battery as well..

However, the fact that nullifies this logic is.. the remote is actually sending a command to the power lock to lock the car everytime i am pressing the button... the lock function is not completing the job in full is a different story, but.. remote is doing its job.. and this fact is lifting the doubts from the remote and skewing it more towards the actuators, as pointed out by @pulkit here.

However, In a hope that the problem is not with the actuators, (and keeping my fingers crossed for that), I shall try with a new battery first!!!

Is there any DIY that could help me identify the cause of the problem?

@Pulkit: could you share the problem that you had faced... may help me in confirming / removing speculation and reduce the list of possible causes!!
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    also guys could this issue also come because instead of "Closing the doors" , People generally "Bang the doors close" ?
    Could this also upset the electicals ?
    I'm asking this because i'm very frugal in letting the door close but not my family and i almost always yell at them for banging the doors.. I just want to know if this can also cause issues like sensors not working properly?
  8. I am not sure of it upsetting any electrical / sensors..
    the door 'thud' (as the FIATIANS call it) is by mechanical devices...
    However, the banging the can loosen the hinges and other mechanical fittings and (in cars other than fiat) start causing rattling!!!
    Closing the fiat door by the same force with which you close the door of a suzuki car, will result in an unclosed door 80 times out of 100!!!

---------- Post added August 25, 2012 at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was August 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM ----------

@Pulkit: I found your thread.. yeh .. the problem is quite similar... and this sinks my heart.. as it seems in 3 months, of ownership, they will be opening the door assy.
    Do they have any mechanism to to identify which actuator might be causing this problem?
    My other worry is.. that my actuators (if it is a problem with the actuator) work 19 out of 20 times.
    and..
    additional pointer..
    the problem started after the first rains.. so... could it be mended with some oiling greasing with any of the external parts?
  9. [/COLOR]@Pulkit: I found your thread.. yeh .. the problem is quite similar... and this sinks my heart.. as it seems in 3 months, of ownership, they will be opening the door assy.
    Do they have any mechanism to to identify which actuator might be causing this problem?
    My other worry is.. that my actuators (if it is a problem with the actuator) work 19 out of 20 times.
    and..
    additional pointer..
    the problem started after the first rains.. so... could it be mended with some oiling greasing with any of the external parts?[/QUOTE]

actuator failure could be coz of rains. v also hav heavy rains here in doon. but it is still good to go at TASS for gettin it checked as if u get stuck outside smwhere then u r really in deep trouble. At TASS they will check ur door one by one but will only open the door that will hav any problem. so no worries about gettin your all doors being opened.
    And regarding ur actuator working most of time u can explain them that it sometyms work and sometym dnt. they will understand. hope u hav good relations with on of the service supervisor. i doo give in a bit extra to them and give my car extra care at TASS.