1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Door damping for Punto

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by me_at_fiat, Dec 30, 2014.

1. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    I was using the stock music system in my Punto for quite a long time and was literately fed up of it. I am a causal listener but still the stock speakers were so pathetic that they never satisfied my bare minimum need. So, finally I decided to upgrade the speakers. From the very start i was sure that i didn't wanted to spend much on the upgrade and just wanted a basic upgrade. At the same time 3-4 Pune Tfiians were looking for upgrading the stock speaker. We auditioned some entry level speakers and somehow most of us were happy with Blaupunkt CX 130.

IMG_20131224_141534.jpg

Rare door
    IMG_20131224_162753.jpg

Jugaad for rare door :p
    IMG_20131224_174714.jpg

I upgraded all the speakers and it made huge difference. I went ahead with all 4 component speaker and I was really happy with the output. But, now there was some another problem consistent door rattling!!! I continued with the same setup for almost more than 10 months and then one fine day I had enough of it. I started searching for the damping options which will stop the door rattling completely. As I had a very very basic setup I straightway ruled out damping options like Dynamat or Dampmat. The other damping options which I got to know from various forums were as follows,

1. Wurth damping material
    2. Yogamat
    3. American dynamat
    4. And few other xyz brands

When I spoke to installers and few Pune Tfiians they told me that Wurth damping material is very heavy and it’s difficult to install as it’s difficult to bend it. About yogamat, actually it’s not a damping material it’s just gap filler which absorbs/reduces the vibration from plastic door panel. So I ruled it out.

When I was searching for other options one of the advertisements from TBHP classifieds caught my attention. I straightway picked up a phone and called them up and after a 20 mins of a discussion with them, I was convinced that it will definitely work for me and will give me a satisfactory result. Hence, I quickly placed an order with them. On very next day they shipped my shipment and after another day I received the damping material.

After receiving the damping material I was really excited hence, called up my installer and quickly fixed up an appointment. Finally after the installation there was big smile on my face, the current setup was really sounding good for my liking. I was very happy with each and every penny spent.

Uploading the pics taken during installation.
    IMG_20141213_132953.jpg

IMG_20141213_135138.jpg

IMG_20141213_135546.jpg

IMG_20141213_140117.jpg

IMG_20141213_140404.jpg

IMG_20141213_145745.jpg

IMG_20141213_161733.jpg

IMG_20141213_184319.jpg

IMG_20141213_184329.jpg

IMG_20141213_190621.jpg

IMG_20141213_210026.jpg

Pros about damping material used:
    · Material used was similar to other leading brand
    · Found it worth for its price
    · Work well for basic setup
    · Quantity provided
    · Uncut sheet, we can cut it the way we want it.

Cons about damping material used:
    · The top layer of damping material, which is normally a metal foil was almost missing. The gauge of metal used was extremely thin. This was a major let down. But, it did a decent job for my current setup.
    · Definitely won’t make sense for a proper system upgrade.

Whats next?? Definitely next time, when I will upgrade the system, I will not stick to basic upgrade(basic Speakers and damping material) and will go for a full fledge upgrade for sure. It’s always good to progress in steps.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    rider16, abhinav_nani and ramjn like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
  3. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    while posting the thread I actually tried to find out the link on TBHP but couldn't locate it anymore.:( Hence didn't post anything. The brand name is self damp. I think its listed on ebayindia as well.
  4. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
  5. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hai all, I am planning four door damping only below the door plastic pad and planning to by the product online and do a DIY.

Can anybody please advise how much sqft of damping material we need for this purpose.
  6. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Common guys. Give some info.
  7. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    Hey Pdash,

if you see one of the link which I had shared it says,
    "22 Sq Ft SelfDamp PRO Damping Material Sound Deadening Bulk Pack 84 x 39"

Hope this helps!!
    pdash likes this.
  8. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for your reply. Today I have already placed the order for 2 sheets of 14 sqft each. I think extra material if any, I can put in the hatch door.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Do share pics of actual product and feedback. Am in the lookout for same too.
  10. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Received the product yesterday and installed yesterday by auto sound guy, I had to skip the DIY due to time issue.

The product I ordered is http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Ca...or-/181702175218?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IN:3160.

I have ordered two piece of it, which is 28 sqft. That much is sufficient is for all five door on both inside and out side of door pad. Almost 4 sqft left with me.

The material is not like typical damping tar sheet.

It is very light weight, one portion of shining material followed by think foam and very light tar kind of black gum.

After installing I was having issue with the Driver side door lock as it is blocking the lock switch operation, but after removing a little portion behind the switch resolves the issue.

When I started the music it was like WOOOOOW, I could not believe that is is my cars's music system, initially I thought the AutoSound guy did some setting change with the system,, but it was nothing like that.

Outside traffic noise has been drastically reduced inside cabin. Engine noise still entering from the dashboard.
    Haven't tested for high speed wind and road noise.

Initially after seeing the product, i was not very satisfied with the product, But I must say with this budget, it serving its purpose.

Will post the pics soon.