1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Dombivili to Dapoli

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by rajeev_pillai, Mar 19, 2013.

1. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Disclaimer: This is not a comparison between two car brands/drivers. It is just a simple trip log of two 4 families in two different cars.

The Plan
    One fine day received a call from my friend Ranjith asking about a trip to Dapoli - Murud. His brother and wife are coming from Kerala, so they want to visit some nice place nearby. My obvious response is ‘Yes’, however I wanted to check my job schedule. I wanted to be there only for enjoying the drive and sea food.:p At last, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Feb 2013 was selected for the trip. We were taking 2 cars (Punto and Ritz), so invited my brother-in-law and wife also. Now there are 8 adults and 2 kids. Ranjith came up with some quotes as he’s already been there in 2010 and know some of the resorts. However we used my wife’s Marathi speaking skills to negotiate further and we got a bungalow accommodation at Saaj Resort, near Murud beach for 3500 for a night.:up

Considering the road and traffic condition, we decided to leave by 5.00 am on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Feb to cover 220 KM in 7 Hrs. Bag packing and car cleaning were done on the previous day itself to save time in the morning. My plan was to start earlier than Ranjith, so that I can pick up my brother-in-law from Kharghar and join Ranjith at Panvel.

--Rajeev
  2. puneet mehra

puneet mehra Amatore

Dear Rajeev.

Where is the Travel log mate? We are waiting for more:)

Regards
    Puneet
  3. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    On 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Feb, we could start by 5.15 AM, my son Vedant was in deep sleep. So we took him without waking up and reserved the back seat entirely for him. Stopped at the Ganpati Temple near Dombivili station for prayers and drove towards Kalyan-Shilphata Road. Filled petrol from HP Katai, and drove towards Shilphata.:redcar Toll was not paid at the Katai Naka toll plaza, we took the extreme left lane, flashed two three times and the attendant opened the barrier. :twisted: At Shilphata, took left to join NH4. The road condition was not that great, so I was driving very light footed. There was not much traffic on NH4. Turned right towards Kharghar after RPF and reached at place at 5.50 AM. Shyam and Reshmi were waiting in front of the building. Loaded their bags in the boot and started from there at 5.55 AM, stopped at nearby ATM to withdraw some cash and drove towards Sion-Panvel Express Highway. Meanwhile Ranjith was on NH4, so we asked him to cross Panvel and wait for us at the starting of NH17.

Finally we reached at the starting of NH17; however we could not find Ranjith’s Ritz there. So we called him and he said he’s waiting for us at the starting of NH17.:confused: I was very much sure that I have not seen his car anywhere en route. So I asked him for landmarks, and then came to know that he is at Kalamboli and waiting there thinking that it is NH17. So now we are in commanding position and asked him to reach where we are.:D He took another 15 min to reach us; we exchanged some snack and hit the road towards PEN. Crossed Karnala Bird Sanctuary and saw some monkeys on the road. Only some slow moving trucks were on the road. Reached Wadhakal Naka around 7.00 AM, took the left turn to stay at NH17 and stopped for Tea. After the break, hit the road again and this time it was a non-stop drive. Crossed Kolad, Mangaon and reached Lonere phata from where we had to leave NH17 and take state highway. The road widening process on NH17 is going in full swing and the road is coming up in good shape.

some photos

535869_10151309738982956_870061544_n.jpg
    11111 after 3 years

555909_10151309739552956_290817001_n.jpg
    Tea break

65541_10151309740027956_694271274_n.jpg
    Ranjith inspecting Punto.

--Rajeev
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  4. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    After Goregaon, there are some ghat sections where I was following the Ritz, however it was not climbing smoothly and was giving us trouble. The road surface was also irregular. So I decided to overtake, down-shifted to second gear and zoomed. I was honking at all curves, and there are no vehicles coming from the opposite direction. However on a hair pin curve when I was descending, a State Transport bus suddenly appeared and was occupying the full lane.:eek: To avoid collision I took the car off tarmac, but the height difference was too much and there was a stone which hit the running board. I checked the underbody and there is a small dent to the running board.:( Thanked God, cursed the S.T. driver and continued. :cool: By this time, Ranjith was far behind and we were going through no network coverage area. We crossed Mandanghad and waited for them at Kelshi phata, where the boards were indicating to take left for Dapoli and navigation was asking to go straight. Even after 5 min there is no sign of the other party, so we decided to move. We took the left turn as instructed by the sign boards. After some time the navigation also recalculated the route.

48104_10151309739307956_714305330_n.jpg

We reached Dapoli at 11.10 AM and took the road towards Murud. This time we were entirely dependent on the navigation. Finally we reached a toll collection center by the Panchayat of Murud and asked the attendant about the ‘Resort’. He said we are on the right track go ahead and the ‘Resort’ is on our right side. However that road was very narrow and only one vehicle could pass at a time. Luckily no vehicle came from the opposite side. Finally we reached at ‘Saaj Resort’ by 11.30AM. Ranjith arrived after half an hour. He took the other route as instructed by the navigation and stopped in between for photographs.

395743_10151309763807956_2144620205_n.jpg

--Rajeev
  5. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Great to Hear, hw was the ritz feeling on the Ghat section.
    Some more photoshoot of the Punto and the Ritz would have decorated the Post....
  6. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    The rooms were basic but very clean, and airy and they had some hammocks in the backyard to rest. The place is overall ok for the amount that we paid. Beach is very near to the property and they had a private path to access the beach. However we got the first blow when we asked about the meals. There is no fish available in Dapoli as the fishermen were on strike to protest against the price hike for diesel.:A All my interest in this trip went down.:sad: I was even ready to go back to Dapoli to check if it is correct information. I had the numbers of some other resorts, so we called them to recheck this. It was true; the fisher men were not going to sea for 2 days. So we ordered for chicken thali and some sol kadhi. Food quality was average.

At 4.00 PM we went to the beach, there were many activities like jet ski, speed boat ride, banana ride and atv ride. I was not feeling well so I decided to stay back with kids while others went for Banana Ride. After that we had ATV ride on the beach. Then we played football and badminton till everybody got tired finally had dinner from nearby resort and went back. Got freshened up and again played badminton till late night.

71870_10151309743327956_1553505820_n.jpg
    The Bamboo plants on the way from resort to beach

485146_10151309743572956_1900916118_n.jpg
    Remainings of desi tourism - a common sight in most of our tourist spots

543664_10151309743432956_573180550_n.jpg
    Murud beach

31906_10151309744807956_1611225005_n.jpg
    Preparing for Banana Ride

66148_10151309744662956_1978688072_n.jpg
    Into the sea

285202_10151309745172956_1090029620_n.jpg
    Yours truly

--Rajeev

- - - Merged Post - - -

Next day got up at 8.00, Nobody was not interested in sighting dolphins, so stayed back at the resort itself. For breakfast, we ordered Modak and Ghavane (Neer dosa) and chutney. Left the place by 12.00pm. Drove up to Dapoli, filled petrol and went to withdraw some money from a nearby ATM. There was a big queue and there were many people inside the ATM also. Most of them seems to have no business with bank and just got in there to enjoy a/c.

Enquired a few places about good eateries there and they told us about Jagdish Lunch Home (Non-Veg) and Sanman (Veg) both were inside the market and adjacent to each other. I already had information about these from some other forums. So we parked the cars and went there. It’s a 100 meter walk into the market where we found a small restaurant where people are patiently waiting for their turn. But we were not in mood to wait so went to Sanman for a veg lunch. Ordered Veg Thali, Misal Paav, sol kadhi. The food was excellent so we were able to compensate the loss there.

Finally started back at 1.30pm. This time Ranjith went ahead and we were following him slowly, however somewhere near Ambet village we took a wrong turn. The navigation recalculated through some isolated places. We realized that very late, however went ahead as the road was going to Mhasla (near Dive Agar). I know that route and we took Mhasla – Mangoan road. This road was far better than the other road; however we drove around 30KM extra. By the time Ranjith reached Pen and we were only at Mangaon. We asked him to wait at Panvel, from there we were planning to go to Malvan Katta, Belapur for dinner. Ranjith was trying to find the place in his PND, however he was entering wrong name so it was not showing.

We took the JNPT road to reach Palm Beach Road avoiding Panvel and SION-Panvel Exp Highway. We reached there at 8.30pm and Ranjith by 9.00pm. The food was tasty however service was pathetic. They took same order multiple times, mixed up veg and non-veg, got confused between prawns and chicken (Kolambi and Kombdi).

After dinner, Ranjith and family went straight to Dombivili. We went to Kharghar, dropped shyam and Reshmi and went back to Dombivili. Finally we reached Dombivili home by 11.50 PM.

--Rajeev

- - - Merged Post - - -

I think, I have completed it except the statistics. :rolleyes:

I did not ask him about that, however following it was not giving me confidence.:eek:
    Let me check the hard disk for more images.

Rajeev
    1 person likes this.