1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Does additives are required with engine oil

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by sungoa2010, Sep 29, 2011.

1. anoop

anoop Superiore

@jino: During run in period, mineral oil helps because friction is more. Synthetic oil have more lubrication, and wear and tear for engine si good during run-in period. That is why mineral oil is preferred during run in, and synthetic, after that.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Source buddy?? AFAIK cars like Lambhorgini,Ferrari etc all are filled up with fully synthetic oil from day 1 in their respective factory.Why dont they fill mineral oil?? There's always more friction in a new engine irrespective of oil used only the protection matters :)
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

Aaron, the cars like Ferrari and Porsche have very tight tolerant engines and because of that, the initial break in by wearing out the peaks in piston does not really happens in them like that happens in engine which are manufactured using conventional methods.

I will NOT suggest to change a factory filled synthetic oil to mineral during run in period - the manufactures know better. But generally, when we are talking about less sophisticated engines, conventionally, it s preferred to finish the run in using mineral and then change to synthetic oil.

Please go through couple of my sources:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-breakin.htm

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/saturday-mechanic-blog/how-to-break-in-a-new-car

Now, if you ask me what I advise is to stick with what factory recommends. I was not recommending to Jino to use mineral oil for run in -I was only giving the popular and conventional logic behind using mineral oils during run-in. :)
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. I second your point Anoop, if you take example of Vista running with same engine comepltes run-in period ~3-5K kms but punto takes little longer mine took almost 15 K kms(may due to be addtitive).
    I gave this feedback to Narendra Shrama of FIAPL.
  5. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    FIAT engines always open up late.This is the italian way of engineering.FIAT engines better with age and drive gets better as u clock the miles!! Nothin to do with ur engine opening up at 15k its perfectly normal :) Selenia is still good for our FIAT's.Mineral's would break down faster resulting in faster wear n tear if u dont pay attention.Always insist on semi or fully synthetic engine oil.Best eg would be maruti vehicles,their vehicles enter the service station every 5k kms,it's bcuz they use mineral oil made by Servo which hardly costs Rs300/- p/litre not at all good for the engine IMHO.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. anoop

anoop Superiore

Agree with you Bro - the mineral oils break in fast than synthetic and that is why the cars which use mineral oils have an oil drain period of 5000 kms. Synthetic oil gives better protection too.
    AFAIK, the Selenia we use for our Puntos are not purely synthetic but semi-synthetic.
    Pure Synthetic oils like Mobil1 Shell helix ultra etc costs about 800~1K per liter.