1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Does additives are required with engine oil

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by sungoa2010, Sep 29, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I am servicing my Punto 1.4 today. T.A.S.S people were recommending additives along with engine oil.
    Is it needed?. According to the manual it is not needed. Thanks in advance.
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @sungoa

Dont fall for this scam.They would recommend Nulon and other such crap.Your engine oil already has lots of additives and detergents to keep ur engine clean.DONT FALL FOR THIS SCAM!! AVOID IT.
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Service centers are making money by using these crappy additives. Even at 2 wheeler service center they are forcing customer to use it.

Selenia oil has eveything which is required to heart of the car. :)
  4. I had used additives, it will only help lengthen your run-in period, what you will get is car that has run 15K kms still having a harsh/tight engine.

Also while it reduced some engine noise only to get it back after 2500 RPM, at those levels a car without additives will sound less harsh and refined.

I would recommend not using them at all as the selnia oil is very good, I realized it after my second service where i did not go a additve and car's engine is butter smooth.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks lot for quick reply. I called and instructed not to use any extra additives in engine oil. Funny part was that the person who attended was arguing that punto uses mineral oil. I will give details of 2nd service in the appropriate thread once I recieve the car.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    One request:

Confirm what engine oil he used in your Punto...Selenia or Mineral oil. As both Punto and Vista get serviced under one roof they have to kepp stock for both Mineral as well as Selenia oil. May be there is possibility that they used Mineral oil as he was arguing that Punto use mineral oil.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    They were telling that seliena K is mineral. So I hope that they will use seleniaK. Then I went to a senior fellow and he told that it is synthetic.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    ooohh the debate was for Selenia (is it Mineral or Synthetic) I thought :)
  9. A quick question. In most of the run-in guidelines i've seen the advice of not to use the synthetic oil. What does TFI recommend?
  10. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @sungoa

First of all Selenia K is Semi Synthetic.If the guy on the other side is arguing that its mineral then tell him "OK So pour in the mineral oil im happy with it" Only make sure ur there while the oil change is carried out.Just to make sure they dont pour in castrol mineral and bill u for Selenia.Or buy the Selenia cans from the spare's section and give it to them.

@Jijo

Buddy oil is always a consumers choice.A fully synthetic oil will protect ur engine better in the long run and give u more KM's and has a long drain interval.Selenia being a semi synthetic is also good.Im using from Day 1 and no issues till date.Im against minerals cuz they dont last long and dont protect the engine as fully synthetics or semi synthetic do.I would always recommend Fully Synthetic for better performance and increased engine life.