1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Does 1.6 MJD bring in volumes to FIAT?

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by bharath, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Its catch 22 situation with Fiat in India.
    Till they are able to sell respectable numbers with current line-up, Fiat will not approve new models. And if Fiat doesn't bring new things in market, increasing sales number unlikely to grow :).

However, with sedan market, they must bring 1.6, even if volume remains same. Otherwise with current engine line up, Linea may be history sooner than later.
    3 people like this.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    A couple of images of the strategies from this thread

Now as per the Fiat initially released around the same time last year show us the couple of things.

1. The Linea classic and the facelift (major model change in Japanese terms) will occupy the C and C+ segments

2. Punto refresh too slated to come based on similar lines to the Linea facelift

3. The most important of the lot, the CUV/SUV/MUV/LUV or whatever name they give to the Pseudo SUV in the C segment price range.

Now this gives the current Fiat dealers an opportunity to rake up decent numbers to survive financially and in turn increase the overall sales for FIAT. Out of the 4 cars that Fiat plans to sell, one already a dud (read as Linea Classic), so invariably its the Punto, Facelift Linea and the CUV that will keep the dealers as well as the market interested. However, there is every opportunity to rebrand some of the jeep models too under Fiat.

The Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler are the brand builders for Jeep and the B and C segment SUV will be the ones which will generate numbers.

I dont see why Jeep and Fiat cannot co exist under the same dealership.

1. Firstly more outlets to sell their products.
    2. Keeps the dealers interested as there are 8 models to deal with.
    3. Since neighter of the models would cannibalize each other, it should not hurt them. In other way, its ultimately their products that sell. Cross shopping will sure happen.
    4. No new substantial additional investment required by the dealers.
    5. A separate dealer development organization would not exist which in turn is a marginal cost saver to the Fiat-Chrysler group.

Some questions that needs to answered
    1. Are the dealership infrastructure capable enough to handle the volumes?
    2. Are the dealership personnel capable enough to provide quality service and have sufficient troubleshooting skills.

With all these, I still see Linea could actually sell a decent 750-1000 units if the pricing and 1.4 Tjet, 1.3 and 1.6 engine options are available to the Linea. This will enable them to cover a larger price range. Then can still consider replacing the Linea classic with the Sienna and its hatchback version and renaming it with a complete different name. This will enable them to compete at B, B+, C, C+ and the Pseudo SUV markets which more or less covers the mass seller segments.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    5 people like this.
  3. bharath

bharath Regolare

Sad to see that Fiat management does not have a person like Krishna ! We ppl have only one choice - Hope for the best to happen!
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Considering Jeeps are notgoing to be sold from Fiat dealerships, I have always thought that one of the ways to resurrect Fiat brand in India could have been to launch couple of higher end cars like Viaggio and Freemont in CKD versions just to park in the showrooms and help in changing Fiat's perception in common man's mind. Thats how VW, Nissan etc expanded their India portfolio. They launched their costly cars first which were noticed by many but everyone couldn't afford. That spread the impression that these foreign brands make costly cars. So when they started selling more affordable cars in India, those in B+ and C segments, people readily bought them without thinking much!

Common man still thinks of Fiat as an Indian company which used to make padminis which closed down long time back in India and started selling cars again couple of years back.
    Thats the primary reason Fiats don't really figure in the common buyer's list.

Brand makeover is the primary requirement at this stage for Fiat. Not that they haven't tried to address it but much more needs to be done!
    Improved A.S.S., more products etc are market driven requirements which they anyways can't afford to ignore.
    3 people like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Everything you say is perfect..! Most importantly both brand awareness and A.S.S and good spare parts availability in open market will need to improve simultaneously and tremendously.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. Why Skoda or Nissan or Renault,Toyota,GM,FORD are not able to sell cars like Honda,Vento or Hyundai?

I hope some one question why toyota , i just added it there to fill a missing product from them.
  7. C_S

C_S Amatore

Fiat need to understand the buying process of a common man. When I mean common man someone who does not understand much about cars(technicalities) and bring in models or position Fiat to appeal to such people. Whomever i have met at the service centers are very well informed and this set will not bring in numbers for Fiat.

Fiat needs to position to a segment who do not understand cars but who buy based on what they hear/perceive from others. They need a model that will bring volumes, if it calls for quality levels(low) maintained by competition so be it, no point in having great cars but not selling them. They need to give what the market demands. I guess that is where Suzuki is good, they have their volume sellers and also cars to appeal to specific segments. I guess even Hyundai are learning this trick of positioning vehicles at different price points.
  8. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Why Toyota? - My take is that most people don't want to buy a car which has an image of a "Cheap car" , the Nano , Linea Classic and the Etios twins to some extent are prime examples of such failures. Honda and Hyundai have a great brand image, no matter what they launch they will sell. FORD need to price the Fiesta right, give it a little more bump under the hood and give it beige interiors before they can sell more of it :).
    1 person likes this.
  9. Toyota and cheap? I am speechless.:ugeek:
  10. shams

shams Esperto

etios and liva :)