1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Does 1.6 MJD bring in volumes to FIAT?

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by bharath, Dec 8, 2013.

1. bharath

bharath Regolare

Coimbatore
    Is there any confirmation on 1.6 or just your wish ;-)...CAI dealers clearly told me that it's only 1.3 again :-(... Any good news about this will make me happy !
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Its just my wish for the moment. If Fiat decides to dump the 1.6, they are shooting themselves and the dealers in their foot as the sales will be back to double digits :A
    1 person likes this.
  3. OT,
    C2 segment sales is shrinking from past few years, even if they bring 1.6 and price it at 12.5 or 13 lakhs as OTR, they will just find few takers for it.Crossovers seem to have dented/pushed back the C2 segment cars.
    Even with all it's might how many Vernas hyundai is able sell ?
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    An OT reply :)

The premium sedan C+/C2 (whatever it is called as) consisting of Linea, New Fiesta, Sunny, Scala, Rapid, City, Vento, Verna has sold 129185 units for the 11 month period (Jan - Nov) and annualizing it the market size is around 140000 units.

In this, say the petrol sales constitute of 12% (an assumption) gives a sales of 35k units a year and the remaining 100K would be from the diesel cars of these.

A bit of data to support the claim

Read numbers as Car - 11 months sales - Monthly average - Petrol/diesel split
    Linea - 2169 - 197 - 260/1909
    City - 21560 - 1957 - 21560/0
    New Fiesta - 1426 - 130 - 171/1255
    Sunny - 10916 - 992 - 1310/9606
    Scala - 6203 - 564 - 744/5459
    Vento - 21240 - 1931 - 2549/18691
    Rapid - 13431 - 1221 - 1612/11819
    SX4 - 5058 - 460 - 607/4451
    Verna - 47212 - 4292 - 5665/41547

On the question of Verna, Hyundai is able to sell on an average of 4,292 units per month in 2013 as of November 2013. This is no way a small considering the shrinking segment and holding approximately 36% is no joke. If one sees these numbers, there is an opporunity to rake up numbers for Fiat subject they price it where the market cannot ignore it. Fiat can definitely increase from the avg sales of 200 to atleast 600-750 which is quite decent given Fiat's past baggage.

Now for the source of the sales numbers - The month sales thread from teambhp.
    4 people like this.
  5. If you see the chart other than Verna,vento and city no body else is making great numbers.
    Look at combined sales of Of bolero,scorpio,Duster/its sibling,Xuv and ecosport.with advent of X4 XUV will be in price range of C2 segment sedans.
    Other than force 1 anything brought to market seem sell like hot idli and vada.
    Many people who talk to me about FIAT ended up buying one of the above considaring the price overlap.
    Fiat or it's dealers will not make money by selling 600-700 cars a month.
    These are IMHO,not backed by some teamxxxx:)
    1 person likes this.
  6. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Some more numbers. The table shows the c2 segment as you call it has not grown like the Pseudo SUV market, but neighter shrinked alarmingly as you claim. However, the D segment is a complete different story, they are on the decline year on year.

Comparison.jpg

Agree that the Indian market loves the Pseudo SUVs, but the thing that needs to be observed is that segment is growing by completely not eating away the sedan market. Though there would cross shopping, both segments would exist, but the Pseudo SUV market is consistently growing with more options being introduced in the segment. But still wondering how many people who wanted to buy sedans ended up buying Boleros, I for one haven't come across any statistical backing for this.

The number have models have increased in this segment and the market has simply growth with some astonishing numbers with the introduction of XUV5OO, Duster and Etriga in the Indian market.

Comparison1.jpg

The dealers make money with the service which is far more lucrative than the thin margins with the sale of new cars. In case of Fiat, the new network already has base of 150000+ (a rough guess) cars (Punto, Linea, Palio variants) running on roads for the dealers to survive. The introduction of 1.6 is not going to do any harm to the dealers financials or Fiat's financials as Fiat would only be giving what the market wants and which is currently lacking. The numbers can only increase from the current 1000 mark to around 1500 mark. Of course, a few more models introduced wont do any harm more so in the Pseudo SUV segment.

By the way what I posted earlier too is my own opinion backed by the numbers which is more or less accurate as the source to the other forum is SIAM who can't publish some random numbers and not just by talking to few people which is too small a sample size to draw any conclusions. The source was mentioned since you anyways ask for it and I was just being proactive ;).

Probably we can have a new thread and carry this discussion forward in case you want to and leave this thread to document my Linea ownership :up
    6 people like this.
  7. Let us take this to it's own thread.it is getting interesting.
    Question is other than Verna which og other cars have booking period?
    As per your own post 2012 saw explosion in sales of SUV or it's look alikes.277% is where my friends ended up in.
    No doubt i got a feeling C2 segment is shrinking.
    That is the kind of sales what FIAT and its dealers need other wise cant just introduce a new product in the segment which is not growing.
  8. Can FIAT make a dent to Honda,Hyundai and VW with just 5 year old Linea body and 1.6 MJD?

I think FIAT should introduce a Crossover with 1.6 MJD at affordable prices as that segment is growing, why would any manufacturer want to invest in stagnated segment.

SUV/Look alike killed D1/D2 segment already(read XUV 5OO) now Ecosport and Duster/Sibling are are doing the same for C2 segment with price war.Why would a customer buy a car when he can get SUV at the similar price?
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  9. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    On a lighter note - Bringing the 1.6MJD with 190mm GC would classify the Linea as a SUV as per govt taxation laws ;) . Having said that I really believe Fiat needs something new both in terms of engines and interiors to bump up the sales in the short term. In the longer term Fiat needs a couple of new models either in the MUV segment ( I am still dreaming of the 500L :)) or a Jeep SUV in the 20L price bracket, they should definitely click.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    I do believe 500L, viaggio, ottimo will do the wonders in India. I really do not understand why FIAT is hesitant about launching such products in India.
    In past FIAT India launched product which were technologically ages ahead with competitors in India and now they are not bringing models which would compete with competition.
    :A

I believe, they have addressed the service center issue to some extend. Now its time for them to bring products which would bring customers to showroom.
    Only changing engine will not bring customers for FIAT. To improve the brand image more exciting products
    should be made available to customers.

Even launching Grand Siena in entry level sedan category, Palio Weekend with different name surely bring more foot falls to showroom.