1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Do we really sense bad road condition on steering wheel in Punto?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sageeshr, Jun 6, 2015.

1. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Not sure it is only a doubt or I really feel it? Off late at 32000K I have started feeling a sense of the bad road conditions on steering wheel in my Grand Punto Sports(90HP). 3rd periodic service has done about 3 weeks ago at 30K Kms from FASS,break pads were replaced and a lathe work(forgot the single term) was done on disc as they were damaged a little.Wheel balancing and alignment also was done.

I have just started feeling this doubt from last 5 days only at low speeds,it disappears as soon speeds up.Not sure how was the behavior before? from beginning? Is it only a suspecting? Or t is real? Not sure.

Should I really worry and get checked? Could some one please advice?
  2. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If I am not mistaken you have 2014 model Punto (as the picture shows) and the symptoms you are facing are that at low speed the steering does not have any vibration and at high speeds you have vibration on the steering and every potholes is felt on the steering. Please correct me if I am right and will give you the details to check accordingly.
  3. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @KKAUL, You are partially correct. It is 2014 March registered(manufactured in Oct 2013) Punto 90HP. The identified vibration comes mainly in low speed and reduces in high speed. I have taken it to FASS yesterday. As per their version it is because of a bend in one of the rim for which I have to take to there again in coming week as it was heavy rush on Saturday.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @sageeshr They are absolutely correct . even I also knew from your description that you had this problem on day one. Since you have already got the hard pill I will give you the details . Your Vehicle might be having graphite grey alloy. Don't worry they all will bend over a mileage of about 40K. The alloy are too cheap that they will not with stand the weight of the car in motion. Do not go by service station version check all the alloys outside through some good tyre shop. If you want to check without opening the tyre then run your hand on the surface of tyre and if you find humps then the alloy is damaged.
    If you have bend alloys do not run the vehicle as it will cause more damage to bearing and then axle.
    magnan likes this.
  5. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    I had same issues with OEM tyres once I crossed about 30k kms. In my case it was resolved after changing tyres to Yoko S-drives. I had done about 20k kms after the change and this hasn't surfaced again. Also you could check whether all the tyres are properly inflated. Over inflated tyres also would give this issue.
    magnan likes this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    if there is bend in the alloy,then it can be felt at high speeds too.Try once above 80kmph.A small bent can be removed,at the sametime the alloy is loosing its property and the span of life.Removal of alloy bend is very costly near about 750Inr.
    @sageeshr low speed vibration in which gear ?
  7. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    It can even be the Tyre Wearing out unevenly. 30K+ kms is the time you will feel such issues with the tyre.
  8. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I have given it to FASS as told,it looks the issue is different from initial diagnosis.Thanks for the support I will keep you guys posted on updates.
  9. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Sorry for the delay to update here,I have got the car delivered 2 days back. It looks the issue has got resolved a little. I still feel it a little though reduced. The root cause which FASS shared with me is 'it was due to the lack of lubrication on shock absorbers and we have taken them down and lubricated well' and the remaining level of issue is because on the tyres worn out and slight bend on alloy wheels.It will even reduce when you replace the tyres and change the alloys(which may not be recommended in Bangalore road conditions).

What ever it is,I do not feel the comfort and confidence what used to feel before these issues comes up.Moreover feeling bad when thinking it is the bench marked steering stability which was one of the main attraction for me to stick on the choice:(

Eagerly waiting for your suggestions....what to do next? Go for a second opinion from other FASS? Or wait till the tyre change?
  10. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @sageeshr

If you are a regular driver and your car runs everyday then I don't think the shock pin joints and the bearing joints need to be lubricated even if you live in humid area because the mechanical movement will prevent jamming of these joints. This case happens where car sits in 1 position for days and years. Moreover if they suspect that it is the shock then buy a can of WD40 spray from any shop and spray it on the shocker joints and steering rod joints. You will see a good difference.

Secondly you might be running on stock tire Goodyear duraplus. They are worthless and I think Fiat got it Free from Goodyear because they will give you all sort of noise and jerky feel when on the run.Ride handling will certainly improve with change in tires. If you have any bend rim then replace it with a new one but do not put old tire in it.

Also I read that the SC guys did facing of your brake rotor but I think facing is not recommended in fiat disc. If facing is not done properly it will lead to shuddering when braking hard or disc breaking into 2 part worst.

No need to spend time at SC just drive around till you change tire and then comment on the drive.
    PKMohan likes this.