1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Do we need covered parking for Linea?

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by ravi_linea, May 24, 2015.

1. ravi_linea

ravi_linea Timido

Delhi
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Guys, here I am again. I have a quick query. I live in a low rise building colony and while there are many advantages of living in one, one disadvantage is that we don't have ground floor parking or covered parking. I have parked my bread and butter Zen for 12 years out in the open parking space. Never thought of this aspect until now when it hit me that if I buy a C segment car, I will have to park that outside as well. Do we have any members here who have parked their cars out in the open, exposed to sun? How does if affect your car? I am talking about Delhi weather and the car is going to be exposed to the elements all the time as both office and home parking spaces are open.
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Daily heating and cooling will lead to faster aging of paint, plastics and interiors. If you have covered parking your car will look better for longer and last longer. Else it will bring down the life. How much will it reduce the life - I believe nobody can give a definitive answer for that question.
  3. Calvinv

Calvinv Timido

Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    The above is true.
    If you've got a watchman who will cover/open up your car for you daily (for a reasonable fee), I recommend buying a car cover. Not having to deal with the inconvenience helps :)
    During the monsoon, only cover up when the car is completely dry.
    A Teflon coating once a year would be great (twice a year even better)
    From what I've observed, Tree Resin/crowshit does more damage to the finish as opposed to just plain sunlight.
    Hope that helps
    Cal
  4. ravi_linea

ravi_linea Timido

Delhi
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. Well, I guess we cannot have everything.
  5. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    I am parking my linea in open space since purchase. I am using the Fiat genuine car cover. It takes hardly a minute or so to remove it and put it again. But it definitely saves the paint from bird dropping and dust.
  6. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @ravi_linea,
    In our office campus, I keep telling my colleagues not to park directly under a tree for the same reason that Calvinv mentioned. I park it in the shade cast by tree just beside it and not under it. Anyway this doesn't apply to your present case, as you may be having a fixed place for parking. My suggestion would be to erect a temporary shade there if possible, because even after putting a car-cover over it, heating will not reduce greatly, though the paint would be protected from bird-droppings and dust. Even a tarpaulin sheet that blocks sun for major part of the day may be used. However, this may spoil the look of surrounding. Temporary shade is usually not prohibited at common land area. Jus a suggestion that I have implemented for my Premier Padmini, years ago.