1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Do we have a DIY for putting on a Laptop in a car

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by funkykar, Jun 2, 2011.

1. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Guys,

I have a 4-5 year old laptop that I dont use. I am not sure if what I have in mind is possible. My question is, can I use my laptop as a carputer?

Is it possible to separate the LCD screen and extend the wiring of it and place it somewhere in the car and place the bottom part of laptop elsewhere and stay connectected to the system via a wireless USB keyboard.

I know many of you would find it whacky and stupid, I dont mind. I felt I still would ask it out here :D
  2. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Yes you can,

1. Get a 7inch or 10"inch LCD/TFT touch screen
    2. Connect it to the VGA out of your Laptop
    3. Connect a wireless mouse/trackpad and keyboard

When you stop the car, put the laptop in sleep mode from LCD Screen, next time when you start the car, just touch the tft screen and it will come live again :)

I do have second laptop available, just wondering where would i place the LCD :p
  4. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
  5. HarishSegar

HarishSegar

Mumbai
    Viny's solution is a lot more sensible. Sticking a contraption like the one in the picture is definitely a safety issue. One suggestion if you do manage to put in a laptop in the car - please change the hdd to a ssd. Hdd in movement is not a good idea especially with indian roads :)
  6. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Thanks guys for the suggestion. I will probably try the TFT option some time soon.
  7. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Karthik,
    You can try the in dash monitor from iRide. (Read less modifications to the dash).
    And you can search in youtube for tapping the power switch of the laptop to be used inside a car.

Rajeev