1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY'ing on Oem HU (strictly for/with proffessionals in electronics)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jayadev, Aug 11, 2011.

1. The DSP is definitely worth it, thats my opinion. I'll point out the reasons:
    1. Sound staging: The beauty is that you can make the speakers sound as if all the speakers and the sub are surrounding you. It all depends how you want the music to be not what it decides.
    2. It takes care of the flattening the signal from the OEM HU and then sends to the amp.
    3. Its a one time investment. You can keep changing cars and ICE equipment and still retain the DSP.

Why the Alpine?
    There are others available which are bloody expensive viz. Audison Bit One, JBL MS-8 and RF 3.Sixty.2 and the recent 3.Sixty.3. All of them are above Rs. 30k and have so many settings that it just baffled me. I'm not a sound engineer that I can play around with it :p.

Nothing much as of now gurjinder, but we will sure update it.

Coming to your point of budget. If you plan to spend 10~12k for the amp sub combo, I would suggest, donot go in for the DSP. DSP will make sense only if you go for the medium or high end equipment. If you have plan to upgrading later, by all means buy one.
    If you are really interested in listening to good music, do this according to me.
    1. Change the OEM speakers and an amp for them.
    2. Buy and DSP and tune it.
    3. Buy an amp and a sub and retune it.

Trust me, its intoxicating the way it stages the sound. I never believed that it could be so wonderful.

Coming to the warranty aspect.
    Firstly, the company can void warranty on anything for any reason. The can even void warranty if you connect an amp. By all means and you just cannot do anything about it. What Jayadev did also will void warranty, isn't it?
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Anna is tamil word. chettan is malayalam word for same. I am a malayali.:)

I am not at all an ice guy. I can design ,build and play a setup but i have no clue about market products because i am not into it. i was short of time so i ahd to buy sony monoblock amps else i would have built it myself.

Yes Raj has done it excellently , you can follow the same methods.

mine is diy thing and it will remain diy forever. i can make whole setup vanish with no trace from my car within 30minutes. keeping in mind that in case of an emergency situation of any electrical or electronic issues , Fiat guys will blame ice setups against warranty.
  3. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ jayadev 22ji....great work done.

one old Sony music system, ancestral transistor,my very old Walkman,i make sure if i come to kannur,i must carry all the above mentioned electronics items.:drinks:drinks
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

with all the permutations and combinations that i have tried in my emotion pk i have concluded the following. i am writing them in descending order of sound quality.

1. Changing the head unit - even a basic player with 3 preamp outs and nice crossovers sound better. but problem here is blue and me and steering controls.
    2. Getting a DSP - ultimate way to make the head unit play better than what it is. but problem is the cost.
    3. Hacking out RCA - this is also a better way as you get a flat preout signal which can easily be used to amplify. but problem is warranty.
    4. Using a High low converter- these units cost between 150rs each to 5500rs. i have used many types of these. but this sounds very bad as the head unit itself sounds bad.
    this should be the very last resort. a person who loves music and understands music will never live with this. very vague way to integrate oem hu.

what i am going to try-

1. hack rca - if this sounds great as per my satisfaction i will be very glad.
    2. if option 1 fails i am going to buy a DSP with time alignment. i love a front sound stage. i will buy this when i go to US. they are damn cheap there.

by hook or crook i am going to get rid of those high low converters spoiling the game in my car currently.
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Italia-linea , please do not take my posts as discouraging ones rather take it positively.

You cannot recreate front sound stage unless you place the sound radiator in front of you. DSP can provide time alignment that said it only to correct time delays like that of rear speakers or subwoofer which has its own limitations. i.e subwoofer itself have dynamic time delays due to phase shifts at varying frequencies. you cannot recreate an accurate sounding ICE in your car (present fiat or punto) unless you add front full range speakers facing your ears and discard all other speakers.
    in the Audio world there is no magic ,hearing is believing you can never produce the reality and truth of simple sound system against a complex digital processors.
    best and notable examples are sound from computer sound card compared to a dedicated CD player. It is same as your wrist watch remains more accurate and reliable than your computer time even though you have plethora of options.

In cinema theaters like imax they have serious consideration for front sound stage (they have to) L-LC-C-RC-R behind the screen.which is left, left centre, centre so on...with a huge subwoofer.Most of the time they run without processors but from original sound track of cinema. the digital media produces digital like sound which is not very pleasant for an audiophile though manufactures and contemporary world compel them to use complicated circuits but cannot satisfy ears.

I have great respect for your likeness towards music and very much appreciate effort you would like to put for it.
    as you mentioned, hi low convertors are cheapest and dirtiest solution in audio field which should be avoided at any cost. Adding a hilo convertor between your dedicated amp and hu is like spending a million rupee subwoofer to listen all india radio news.
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    This is sound related thread so I am taking liberty to add bit of OT stuffs too just for an info.

Below pic is my listening room set up
    it has 2 X15 inch jbl pro subwoofers enough to shatter walls and windows of mine as well as neighborhood. i dont play loud or listen loud but i cannot compromise on sound quality hence I had to go to the extreme limits. all the stuffs like wooden enclosure ,electronics room treatements,design and fabrication are handmade by myself and my younger brother.

These speakers need raw power fed directly from source like cd player . any alterations like that of time alignment or digital enhancement kills the real purpose and effort put.
    I have a dedicated digital processor which can control everything to everything but I use it only to decode DTS or DOLBY digital signals from dvd. They all sound flat to flatest of our imaginations yet there is lot of room for improvement, no sound enhancement helps here .

Why I am saying this is anybody Including myself can fall prey to modern buziness terminologies ad features like single speaker surround sound,theater effects,ambience effect,rock ,jazz. hoping for the best we invest our hard earned money . Psychologically we may even feel whatever they said are true and feels are recreated but end of day what happens is we loose interest to listen music it becomes more annoying than soothing to listen good music with such systems.
    we try to blame our day to day life tensions and maturity for all those but not most of the time it is due to ear fatigue and sound shifts which instead of soothing frequency due to shifts plays something undesireable let us not go into OT details. and stick to fiat fun.
    thanx and cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Wooooow, you could go to war with those speakers and kill the opposition just with sound. The size of the kid actually gives a very good perspective of the size of the equipment. Kool stuff.
  8. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Everything is very nicely explained!! Par mere palle kuch nahi padha! :D Kyu ki meri electronics bahut tagdi hai!! :) hehe!!
  9. I would kinda disagree here regarding the sound staging bit. After installing the DSP and setting the time delays and experiencing it my personal view point would be slightly different. The speakers are placed in the stock position and the DSP was tuned to stage the sound for the drivers seat. While sitting on the front passenger seat one can really not enjoy the music as it seems to come from different directions. That doesn't mean that it sounds horrible. Where as the same song when heard from the drivers seat sounds fabulous. It feels as if the speakers are mounted around the driver at the ear level. Having said that it doesn't mean that the passengers cannot enjoy the music but once experienced from the drivers seat, it just doesn't sound the way its supposed to.

That is what took my by surprise and I cannot understand how. When the speakers are placed lower on the door how is it that the sound is reproduced in that way only for the drivers seat?
  10. I would put the DSP as the first one.
    Changing the head unit as it is would cost money. Yes, it will cost a lot more than a new HU for sure. But it can be taken as something which can be with you forever and in any car. Rs. 18~20k spread over around 10~15 years atleast isn't a lot is what I think.
    Also, it comes in handy if someone wants to sell off the car later on. The new owner gets a 'stock' car :). As for your DSP, it goes into your new car :D.