1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY'ing on Oem HU (strictly for/with proffessionals in electronics)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jayadev, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    yes on most of the head units from blaupunkt, this connector is the preamp RCA out with remote amp on wire. i also saw these iso connectors online.
    but there is a note written that this may not work on OEM head units and these pins are not connected to the board in many cases.

next time if you open your head unit can you make out from the board connections if these pins are active on out head units? they are not connected from the power IC.
  2. @Jayadev: I appreciate the effort that you've put in. I hope the output is good as well. I know the joy and pleasure of a DIY is something completely different. No doubts on that. Its a sense of achievement.

But frankly guys, just get a DSP.
    Advantages:
    1. It does the sound staging for you depending where you want the sound to be best depending upon the acoustics of your car. That too, automatically.
    2. The sound quality is far far superior to what the OEM DSP can process.
    3. Tuning is a piece of cake. Anyone with a laptop, a camera tripod and 30 mins of patience can do it.
    4. You can either have an active or a passive setup. Whatever suits you and your budget best.
    5. No wiring cut, no electronics, nothing involved.

Disadvantages:
    1. Cost. It costs somewhere around 18~20k.
    Nothing other than that.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Diy thing Is just for guys like me. I dont think anybody else would be dared to touch oem HU which will be deprived of warrenty in case of failure. i just passed the knowlledge what was in my head.

DSP has its own advantage no doubt about it.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Linea-Lover: I will talk to you about getting an Emotion Pack amp'ed without any fuss or wire cutting someday. While you have a set which isn't affordable for a common man. :p But, I think adding a DSP for 20k to a sub amp combo worth 10k is manageable.

It would be a good idea if you have a separate thread on your ICE set up in the ICE section.
  5. fiattucine

fiattucine

Ahmedabad
    @PaddleShifter pardon me, but that was uncalled for.That a suggestion you do not agree to or like is rather rudely dismissed. I do not see Linea Lover 'talk down' or boast about his set-up, do we? He was just mooting an idea that he thought was right! If someone does not subscribe to an idea, fine, don't buy it. No one forces down anything down anyones throat but then no one has the liberty to be rude or sarcastic either, do they?
  6. As I said, DIY has its own kicks and sense of achievement. ;)

If you go through my post once again properly, I have appreciated his effort. I liked the way he took the effort to go all the way to achieve his goal.
    For a budget setup get something like an Infinity Ref 475 amp. It takes high level input and has output for mono amp as well.
    So its not that I suggest everyone to go in for the DSP. Its just a recommendation not a rule. If you have a budget, great and if not, there is a solution for everything.
    There are a million ways to reach one goal. Its not necessary that mine is the only right one.

Being a 'moderator' you should be aware that the ICE setup for my Linea has already been posted. I don't need to start a new thread for it, do I?
  7. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Both of you calm down. Don't misunderstand my post. I have already read about the ICE set up of your T-JET but didn't remember that it was in your dedicated thread rather than your ownership thread. And being a medical doctor apart from being a moderator here limits my long term memory about everything related to this forum.

I am planning to open 5-6 threads for which I am already working hard. It's a tough job typing so much on touch screen keypad of Galaxy TAB. I don't have a PC at my new location yet.

One of the thread is on ICE. I will be posting a guide to ICE the Emotion Pack variant within 20-40k as this is the max. one usually spends on ICE. ICEing E pack is hard as the rear connectors are used up by blue me interface. So the amp stays on as seen by earliest of Fiat owners at TeamBHP when TFI wasn't there. Then a DIY was to add on-off switch or wire amp to ignition. I am writing an easy guide for new members and it will go to the data base as a locked thread. I am looking at various alternatives like these:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i331_line-out-converters.html (Line out converters).

I just now read about your DSP and thought maybe I will talk to you and get more idea about DSP as I am myself looking to amp and sub my Emotion Pack. Problem is no one knows in Chandigarh if it's possible to make the amp switch off along with the ignition. :(

My budget for sub plus amp is not much. Maybe close to 10-12k. I just want an 8" sub that fits below the front passenger seat itself as every inch of boot space is valuable to me. But I can go for a DSP if I feel its worth.

I hope you got it. Thats what I said that I will talk to you regarding this DSP thing. And that a 20k DSP with 12k sub amp seems manageable.

Regarding opening up a new thread, I never meant that you are hijacking JD's thread by the way. Raj90hp's thread made be search about line out converters and I thought it would be good if you can add a thread about DSP as well.
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Even i misundertood you were being rude here ... :lol.

English is so funny sometimes.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    LOL at the whole mashup caused by the post.

Linea Lover & Fiattucine i'm sure Yashik meant no disrespect to either of you two as i know him personally as well. And he's a gentle soul.

Cheers guys.

@fiattucine - long time no post in the ownership thread. I absolutely enjoy reading your posts because of your diction. So do update soon!
  10. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    JD anna, coming back to the purpose I had come here was that I might have to go to Rohtak for a 15 days programme and it's quite close to Delhi. I wish to visit some good installer in Delhi to get my GP doors damped and add a sub+amp. I am not an ICE enthusiast and don't want a 12" sub either. As boot space is important for me. I want an 8" sub as I have said above so that sound does not diatort when I play hip hop/rap. Problem is fitting the amp.

If you find time, please go through the page 9 of this ICE considerations thread. My problem remains exactly it was back then in Jan 11:
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/showthread.php?1455-ICE-Considerations/page9

Your RCA hack is ruled out here so all I am left with is the Line in converter/high-low converter or the DSP that I have come to know above. I am reading about it on Google as of now.

Can you give me a rough idea as to how should I proceed with the install? My plan was to get a 4 channel amp and route 2 channels to front comps while the other two channels can be bridged to feed a small 8" sub. I am planning to use the line in converter (high low converter) used by Raj_90hp.

Any ideas?

Also, can you mail me the pics of amp used by you? You had once posted the photo of your amp showing input taken by the amp from the back of HU to snuff whether it is on or off. That way, it can switch on and off along with the HU. I am PMing you my mail ID.