1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY with Exotica Red on my Punto evo

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Anoop M Scaria, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Anoop M Scaria

Anoop M Scaria Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi All,

I have recently completed a DIY on my red Punto evo. Looks like it was successful:facepalm:. So thought of sharing it in this forum if it helps someone.

Scratch was caused by some unknown firend while my Punto was parked on the road near my apartment.Looks like those naughty kids who frequents on the road with their half cycles caused it:cat:. Anyways the fact is there was a neat and well visible scratch which left my heart broken.
    Here it is- IMG_20150714_181235835.jpg

IMG_20150714_181251000.jpg

After lots of research I finally made up my mind to do it myself with com paint value pack. Ordered the same in Amazon.com and paid Rs 750/- for Com paint exotica red value pack which has a paint, thinner, 2 emery pads ,filling paste and the final finishing paste. IMG_20150713_185601597.jpg IMG_20150713_190121046.jpg
    So the D Day

Chosen an early morning hour to do the task as it will not be too hot and the dust will be less.
    Started with cleaning the scratched portion of the car with a hand wash:happy: and wiped it well. Waited for sometime to dry completely.

Please note: Carry few sets of soft cloth. I have used my old jockey vests:facepalm::happy:.

Okay now I have applied the com fill paste on the scratched portion with the applicator. If it is a minor scratch then you can skip this process. Mine was a bit deep with metal part visible. IMG_20150715_071922587.jpg

I think here I applied a little too much:facepalm: and Now I feel it is better to use your hands than the applicator as you can use exactly the adequate quantity and also I had some black dust shed out from the black applicator which caused a problem in the final result.

Next process was to wait for about 30 mins for the com paste to dry up.Once it is dried wet sand with emery pad 400. Please make sure before sanding both surfaces are wet and mild and equal pressure is applied during sanding process. Sand till the surface is super smooth. Now ensure both the above processes ie filling paste and wet sanding is done with top perfection to get that ultimate result. Her is how it looks after wet sanding- IMG_20150715_075729171.jpg IMG_20150715_075734996.jpg

Now once the surface is ready, the painting starts. But before that there is an important work to do. masking!. I have used news papers with 3m masking tape. Make sure the this part is done well to avoid an future hazards. IMG_20150715_080610727.jpg

guys please note: while masking do not do as I did, give space while masking else you will have marks where the paint touches the paper edges.So to avoid that leave enough space.

Now we can start painting , spray 1-2 pumps in the air to create the flow and then hold the can around 25 cms away and start with light sprays moving your hand. Do not do spraying by keeping your hand steady as it will cause paint to sag and run.Spray 2-3-4 light coats:cat: with gap of 5mins between coats. Immediately after painting, spray a light thinner coat for the paint to merge, Do not spray too much it will loosen the paint. Remove the mask and wait for the paint to dry. Now here is the result. IMG_20150715_081725696.jpg IMG_20150715_081739208.jpg IMG_20150715_080825868.jpg

So that is it. It was a good result but not as good as showroom painting.Again the idea was to
    remove the mark and cover the exposed metal part which was done successfully.

One more process is pending- to sand and smoothen the surface with emery pad 2500 and apply com rubbing material for shiny finish. That can be done only after 72 hours so waiting. I will post the final pic after that. Hope this would help some fiatian's who would like to try a paint DIY job.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    Aniket, Naughty, Deepak and 9 others like this.
  2. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    calls for real guts to to a DIY paint job. congrats on the work..
    really nice finish and colour matching. a top notch job!!
    congrats..

btw, not to undermine ur efforts, you could have touched up the same at a professional place for the same price.;)
    Anoop M Scaria likes this.
  3. Anoop M Scaria

Anoop M Scaria Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @harryaviator . thank you! yes harry. But I never felt like giving it out till the time I came to know same matching paint is available and was easy to do the job.It actually was a different feel all together.
    Also I have few more scratches to be covered for which I can use the same pack.So is economical as well.
    harryaviator likes this.
  4. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I am waiting to do the same DIY on my BNW Linea. I have got the compaint with me, have to work on it.
    Your thread will be useful. Thank you for sharing.
  5. Yagnik

Yagnik Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    hey @Anoop M Scaria , thats an awesome effort! the results are outstanding! even my car has some paint sratched on front bumper, was wondering about the shade and color matching, I dont know if there is visible difference between BNW and Vocal White. Do we get Vocal White in COM paint shade?
  6. Anoop M Scaria

Anoop M Scaria Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @limraj. Hi. All the best for you DIY. Do not be in hurry take time and do it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 17, 2015 ---
    @Yagnik. Hey Yagnik thank you. hope you doing good. I think vocal white is not launched yet by com paint.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Anoop M Scaria : Nice job man! I also have a ferrari red Evo, will keep this in mind :)
  8. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @Anoop M Scaria, great stuff. A very nice result. It's back to its glory.
  9. Anoop M Scaria

Anoop M Scaria Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
  10. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Anoop M Scaria : Buddy does com-paint comes with a user manual ? i just want to understand when exactly to use different bottles provided by them.