1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Replace Transmission Oil

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by vIjAy_kHaSa, Aug 24, 2015.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Material Required
    1. 75W-85 GL-4 Oil
    2. Drain Pan ( I made it by cutting 5 ltr engine oil can)
    3. Hex 12 Socket/ 12mm allen key ( To remove drain plug and fill plug)
    4. 13mm Socket ( To remove engine protection plate)
    5. Funnel
    6. Pipe of a dia which can fit your funnel and fit inside filling hole of transmission

Time Required : 1 to 1.5 hour

Difficulty : Medium

Warning : Don't over-tighten plugs else thread of transmission casing may get damaged as its made of aluminum. Hand tighten till it feels hard and than 40-60 degree turn with H12 socket or Allen key.

Location of Plugs marked in picture below

1. Remove engine protection plate.(Total 8 nuts of 13mm get an idea from image for their location would upload a image once I install it back. Noticed small leak from sump would install it back after getting the sump leak fixed)
    2. Loosen filling hole with H12 socket or 12mm allen key(Do it first you would not want to be in a situation where you drained old oil but can't pour new oil)
    3. Loosen drain plug but don't remove.

4. Place drain pan under drain hole.
    5. Remove drain plug, you would notice oil is not draining smoothly either let it drain that way or remove filling plug to ensure smooth flow. Let the oil drain for a minimum of 15 mins.
    6. Clean the drain plug it is magnetic would have metal particles stuck to it and tighten it.
    7. Attach the pipe to funnel and put pipe into filler hole
    8. Pour new oil slowly. After you have filled approx 1.8 ltr pour very slow and keep a eye on filler hole. Once the oil starts to come out from filler hole stop pouring and immedetiately put filler plug in place.
    9. Clean the transmission with a cloth where oil is spilled.
    10. Start engine and let it idle for 2 mins afterwards notice for any leak if no leak found go for a 5 km drive and recheck.
    11. Re-install engine protection plate.

--- Double Post Merged, Aug 24, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 24, 2015 ---
    Forgot to add either use old oil for lubrication purpose or give it to nearby garage don't pour it into sewerage or soil.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    sdp1975, PradeepM, varunrtr and 6 others like this.
  2. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Great work & quite informative @vIjAy_kHaSa

Did you use two jacks/ jack stands to get under the car or just used the OE jack.
    what would be the ideal interval for transmission oil change & any symptoms indicating the need for change.
    Did you notice smoothness after this change.
    Was the oil Petronas or Castrol
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Everything is accessible without jacking up car so did not use jack or jack stand.
    Interval is 60k or 2 years and I used Tutela Technyx 75W--85 sourced from 99rpm.com
    No difference once oil gets hot but there is noticeable difference in shifting when oil is cold as I had used Mobil 80W-90 oil last year.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  4. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Linea 1.4
    What is the quantity of oil required?
  5. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    Beautiful DIY! Thanks for the wonderful guide. The manual states 1.8 kilos/2.2liter of oil. Did you observe spill after 1.8 liters were filled? Or it took more? The oil comes in 1 liter packs and I would hate to waste 200mL of it. :) In other words: is a complete drain possible or some of the old stuff remains?

I learnt something new as well : Aluminum gear box! That should make it really light. But with a cast iron plug, probability of stripping threads is very high.

Finally, did you find iron particles clinging to the plug? Why did you have a sump leak?
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Manual states 2.2 ltr but it took a little less than 2 ltr, around 50 ml is left in bottle. Complete drain is not possible might be able to remove more oil by jacking car from driver side.
    Small metal particles were present on drain plug.
    Oil sump leak must have happened when I got the timing chain changed
  7. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Linea 1.4
    @vIjAy_kHaSa Just out of curosity! How are you relating oil sump leak with your timing chain replacement?
    Is the oil sump removed during this process??

Mine is petrol and getting my timing belt replaced next month and was a bit concerned here :(
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Sump is removed while changing timing chain, not ASS fault as they had asked me to change it.