1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY , Paint treatment of your car and Rotary Vs Orbital polisher

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Italia-Linea, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

I know many people have fair idea of what a rotary polisher is and what a random orbital polisher is. I incidently own both of them and have used the rotary extensively.

I recently purchased a Griots Random Orbital polisher from USA which runs on 120 volts and is rated at 850 watts. So the biggest challenge for me was to get a good quality transformer. I found one rated at 1000 watts , a good quality isolation transformer with toroidal coil.

Now what is a Random orbital polishers or a dual action polisher :

The motors and drive units on these two types of polisher's oscillate in an eccentric circular motion. This type of motion is much safer to the paint because it's virtually impossible to apply too much concentrated pressure in one place at one time. Chances are good that when too much pressure is applied, the oscillating action will come to a stop thereby protecting the finish.

Because these types of machines oscillate instead of rotate, they will not instill the dreaded buffer swirls or holograms into your finish as long as you use the appropriate chemicals, buffing pads and bonnets. This safety feature makes these machines highly popular with enthusiasts who would like to use a machine but at the same time, are afraid of burning or inflicting swirls into their car's finish.

Uncomplicated – Remove from box, attach buffing pad or bonnet, plug in, turn on, start buffing.

* Versatile – Can be used for cleaning, polishing, and applying waxes.

* Takes most of the labor out of the process, the machine does the work, all you do is hold it.

* Faster, more thorough - you can cover more area and do a better job with a machine.

* Creates a more uniform, higher gloss finish than your hands.

* Pushes polishing oils and protective waxes into the pores and microscopic surface imperfections far better than your hands can ever accomplish

IMG_20130211_230347.jpg IMG_20130211_230315.jpg IMG_20130211_230309.jpg

Now whats a rotory polisher :

Rotary buffers are drastically different in the way they work compared to Dual-action polishers and Orbital buffers.

The drive unit used in a rotary buffer is referred to as a direct drive. What this means is the auger, (the threaded part to which the backing plate attaches), is driven directly off the electric motor. This results in a powerful rotating motion. This rotating motion is typically clockwise as you look at the rotary buffer from behind, as though you were using it on a panel.

Because the rotary buffer is a direct drive machine, it can do a lot of work very quickly. By work, we mean, the rotary buffer will remove paint.

Rotary machines are not for the faint hearted. You need real skill to control the hi-speed rotary polisher. If the polish between the pad and paint is too low the rotary polisher starts jumping all over the surface which is hazardous.
    If you try avoiding jumping and hold it tight there are enough chances that you may end up burning the paint.

But if you are a very skilled person and can handle a rotary polisher well , you can do the work more quickly than Orbital. Also Rotary machines are better when it comes to working on very defected paint surfaces.

IMG_20130211_230301.jpg IMG_20130211_230252.jpg
    This weekend i had a good chance to try out my new Griots Orbital Machine, and believe me i was amazed at the results. You can see for yourself at the end of the post.

1. Washing the car perfectly with a good car shampoo. I shampooed the car 2 times and made sure there is no dirt remaining anywhere.

2. After car wash ideal step should be to clay the car, but i did not have clay to clean the paint imperferctions.

3. I used the Meguiars Ultimate Compound with Orange Pad which is a bit of high density. With multiple passes i was able to remove atleast 80% of the swirls. This took around 3 hours of back paining efforts. Had to do this on high speed and felt as if i am firing a AK47 rifle. My arms were paining after this. The pain was mainly because i was doing this activity after a long period. After this process i had to again wash the car with shampoo as the ultimate compound was not coming off from the car easily. After wash car was damn clean for next process.

4. The real Champion - Poor Boys - Black Hole Glaze. This is unbelivable product best suited for dark cars. It hides the swirls and induces a very warm deep gloss to the paint. This is a hit product. I applied this using a red soft polishing pad. This hardly took 20 minutes for the full car. Applied double coat on bonnet and boot.

5. Paint Sealant - A glaze is of no use if you dont use a good paint sealant to seal the glaze. The glaze will be washed out if you dont wax it or seal it. I used the Griots paint sealant, a very good and easy to apply product. Used the same red pad for this. Allowed to haze and rubbed off using a good clean microfibre cloth.

Some pics : Dont have before pics. The paint was screwed up. Tuscan wine is one of the best looking colors when clean and swirl free.

IMG_20130209_140522.jpg IMG_20130209_140515 (1).jpg polish.jpg
    19 people like this.
  2. Great Job Italia, please tell us more about where we can source them and why you took this path instead of 3M
  3. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Great job there, the shine looks wonderful. However, some tyre shine would have been the icing on the cake.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

But i have a query here..
    I also fancied buying a rotor but hearing the horror stories behind it being given to an amature i refrained from buying it.
    Does it take practice to actually use this thing?
    How can one learn how to use the rotor (i know that if its used wrongly it can do much damage to paint than our hands can).
    Please advice.
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I use a battery operated (Makita )drilling machine with speed control instead with a diy buffer Pad. DIY means I can change it to orbital and rotary depending upon the way I glue the pad to drill base.
  6. varun pandit

varun pandit Amatore

good job done italia.plz tell us more about the polishing compounds u r using,and the steps of polishing.:cool:
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12

Italia can you please share the costs of this machine and the detailing products.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

I have tried 3M earlier. Infact the linea on their very first FB pages was mine. The coat dint even last 1 month. Mainly doing it through 3M would be costly everytime. The machine and polish costs are recovered in just 2-3 times od DIY polishing. Plus i have multiple cars.

After the paint polishing i had no energy left to even look at the tyres :) , but other times i always shine my tyres. they look good when dark black

If you practice it well - nothing like it. Mostly 3M and other guys use rotary itself as its cheap and quick. But you have to keep your hands moving, have good judgement of how much paint is being removed etc.

No thats a wrong perception which i too had. I used to offset the polishing pad with rotary buffer. But thats not called a orbital motion. Look at the pic which shows the motions. The shaft of the orbital machine oscillates as well as rotates creating very tiny circular orbits. Rotary cannot do that whatsoever randomorbital620.jpg

I mentioned that i used Meguiars Ultimate Compound, The black bottle in the pic. Its one of the best and safe compound.
    2 people like this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    nice DIY,
    how much they charge for Clay bar polishing and above that wax polishing,if we do it from outside ?
    In sangli i have been asked for 1500 INR for the job ,is that worth ?
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  10. Linear

Linear Amatore

SOme questions -

How good / bad is your paint condition? Do you have a lot of swirls / scratches?
    What exactly are you looking for - is it full swirl removal or just masking of the swirls & a shining surface?

Also, please check what all they will be doing & which products they are going to use. 1500 for full paint correction is quite low imo. Maybe they will just wash the car, polish the paint with some glaze / polish which will mask the swirls to some extent & then wax it.

If it is this, then after two weeks / one month, the swirls will start showing up again.