1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY: Paint touch-up using COM Paint/Any paint Spray can

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by DRIV3R, May 12, 2013.

1. Swaminathan Gopalan

Swaminathan Gopalan Timido

@Driv3R - DIY on removing your scratch is nicely done. I just saw the com-paint while browsing through & thought how far will it work. On seeing your post it seems to work fine. One question, where can we get 3M masking tape & rubbing compound? I am at Coimbatore & can you suggest any shop available here to get 3M products or can we get online?

Team, please provide your thoughts.

DEEPAK BAPAT Novizio

DIY- BNW

Hi guys I have done the search removal work for BNW with the Comp Paint-Aeroiaids value pack. It is good one & saves your money.The searches are not visible,:p only very close look detects them.May be to me as I know where they are.Do go for it.
    Anirudha Mukerjee likes this.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    2 years back a bike had hit my red Punto when I was waiting in a signal. Apart from breaking a head light (costed me 5000 Rs. for the foolishness of the bike driver who ran away after the accident) that accident scratched parts of front bumper and also made one gaping hole in the front bumper. I covered up the hole using white M-Seal. Used COM Paint to paint the scratches and the filled hole. Initially it looked good in hiding the damage. Now after 2 years COM painted areas are changing color. It all looks patchy now. COM Paint is only a short term solution to the problem. Professional painting is the only long term solution.
  4. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    Clear Coat or Lacquer :
    Applying Clear Coat ( Hardened PU - Polyurethane )is not that easy as it may not come in a can (Premixed) , as far as I know. Due to it need mixing just few minutes back of its application, it can only be applied with Spray-gun.

The acrylic lacquers works only on the black colors, as it turn Yellowish after a week.

Clear Coat should be applied only after the Color Coat got dried fully ( around 24hrs to 48hrs ), else it will soften the color coat & tries to get mix with it, & a new messy shades of varying thickness, will come out, Dont remember the exact terminology for this messy thing now.

For small touchups, spray paints can be ordered to various aerosol dealers, they also match the shade of your car as aging affects the shade.
  5. Devender Verma

Devender Verma Timido

New Delhi
    I tried my self on on my tuscon wine punto however i messed up. Its certainly not a easy task guys. I even found an issue with a colour matching as well. It may be good for white colour only. I will get it done from a local shop around.
  6. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    Devender Verma :

. Practice spray painting with cans - buying a can from market costs INR120 on wall or something.
    . Clean the surface perfectly.
    . Use masking tape (doctor tape) for covering the other area, where there is no paint required. Mask the painted area about a mm overlap to good area is ok. Use masking tape to biggest areas where you think the spray can be spread.
  7. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    White is no different. I can spot color difference. However being white the only advantage you get is difference is usually visible only when you look at it closely :)
  8. D-Punto

D-Punto Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    Good Job Done...
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Guys, this COM Paint is not durable. The repainted area has started to fade and has become very dark now. Big thumbs down to COM Paint, it is best used as a stop gap arrangement.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    I agree with @DRIV3R's opinion, there have been many instances where people have botched up the paint job with spray cans, even if the technique is right it is no match for the putty application, sanding, base prepping, base coat and 2k coatings used in pro-paint jobs.

Recently observed the paint process on the Linea rear bumper, FTA (fox trot azure) colour looked pretty much silvery and mismatch till the clear coat was applied and the actual FTA colour started to appear and match with the whole car. There is a lot in modern paints than meets the eye. Even repair jobs need a special paint preparation (chemistry), as observed more stringently in the west.