1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY: Paint touch-up using COM Paint/Any paint Spray can

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by DRIV3R, May 12, 2013.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Hello TFIans! Am posting this thread after a successful DIY. I have never made contact with another vehicle or object in driving both loved Puntos over 25k kms. But for the past 2 weeks after few nincompoops vandalised my car, I was not in a steady state of mind, which showed while I was reversing my car out of the driveway on Saturday early morning on my way to my hometown. I scraped a parked Xylo, which belonged to the dad of two of the imbeciles who were part of vandalising my car. Though my Punto was hurt, I felt good. :D

Here are pics of the damage to both the vehicles. FIATs are very strongly built and this is a testimony to that. The Xylo's pic is taken in the dark and hence may not highlight the dent.

Punto Damage.jpg
    Punto Damage Close.jpg
    Xylo damage.jpg

1) Things needed (White waste, Com Paint spray-can, Com Merge which is nothing but a thinner, Liquid spray wax, 3M masking tape, 3M rubbing compound, Emery paper for wet sanding)

Things needed.jpg
    Things needed 1.jpg

2) Take the emery paper(1000 grit) in a bowl of water.
    Emery in water.jpg

3) Start wet sanding the surface to make the surface rough and also remove residues.
    Sanding surface.jpg

This is how the surface looks after sanding.
    After sanding.jpg

4) Now mask the surrounding areas using newspaper and some masking tape.
    After Masking.jpg

5) Now take the spray can and shake it vigorously and spray a couple of puffs in the air. Hold the can 10~15 cms away from the surface and start spraying from L-R direction, covering the entire area.

This is how it looked after painting.

After paint.jpg
    After paint 1.jpg

6) Allow the paint to dry, (choose a hot day to do this) and remove the masking. After the paint is dry, use some thinner to remove paint from unwanted surfaces, in my case it was the black inner wheel arch flap.

7) Use a rubbing compound gently on the painted surface and buff it up using the white waste or any lint free cloth.

8) Use any wax, liquid spray wax preferable, and buff up the surface.

Final results:

final.jpg
    Final 1.jpg

Hope this was helpful, do query me on any questions.
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Where did you get BNWhite paint? The out come of the DIY is very nice.
    1 person likes this.
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

4. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Good one!!.... The finish is great.... I tried this for my previous car.... I messed it up... personally it needs a practice for me.... but its worth the try!! it is evident in your case... for small dents we can get the tinkering done at local shops and do the paint job with com-paint.... should help save thousands.... and also save us the pain of going to FIAT workshop at this point of time....
    1 person likes this.
  5. You need to apply a a coat of clearcoat on the panted surface.
    sathishgv likes this.
  6. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    wow great DIY. I have some scratches here and there, and need this kind of job done, some how not brave enough to try :sad:
    1 person likes this.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Great job done. :up It looks so professional.
    1 person likes this.
  8. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Is COM-MERGE the clear coat?.... if not, is the clear coat available separately?
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

My trusted painter who is in the painting business for decades examined the paint and said that clear coat is not required. Even Aeroaids corp does not recommend to do a clear lacquer layer after spray paint. I do not know the technicalities involved but this is what I gathered. Also the finish suggests so.

Yes, clear coat is available separately. IIRC, costs 145 INR per can. Com-Merge is thinner spray kind-of.
  10. alokdhawal

alokdhawal Novizio

Mumbai
    Pretty nicely done. Only problem is com paints mostly remain unavailable when needed!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2