1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diy- on/off amp with head unit & my ice upgrade story

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by mvb4u, Oct 14, 2012.

1. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    BACKGROUND:- My punto shipped with a delphi head unit. And I am not satisfied with the sound output quality of the stock system so, decided to upgrade speakers and add amp to the setup and to retain the stock head unit as I fear loosing steering controls and blue and me functionality.

UPGRADE PLAN:- Parts used for upgrade

Head unit: Stock

Amplifier: JBL GT5-S644 4 Channel Amp.

Front Speakers: Infinity Reference 6030 CS components

Rear Speakers: JBL GT5-500C Components (Don't have 5 inchers in Infinity series and then I don't know rear doors can accept 6 Inchers with spacer rings other wise rear doors also filled with same infinity reference components as front doors have)

Hi-Lo Convertor: Audison Connection SLI4

Wiring kit: Rockford Fosgate amplifier wiring kit and an additional RCA cable from Rockford Fosgate

All the above parts had been picked from Indian Decars, Hyderabad and installation had been done by them.

OUTCOME OF UPGRADE:- Got very good output from the above setup (I am not an audiophile) and I am very happy except that I cannot play the music when I turn off ignition. When the ignition is turned off If I turn on the head unit it turns on and I am not getting audio output as the amp was wired so that it turns off with the ignition.

NOW COMES THE DIY PART:- After going through the ICE threads, I came to a conclusion that amplifier can be turned on/off along with head unit, so started tinkering around head unit. First, removed the head unit from the slot using self made headunit removal keys, amp remote turn on lead was connected to a 15 ampere fuse in the fuse box located under steering column, same had been removed and connected it to pin no. 6 of connector C in the attached image. Pin No.6 of delphi head unit is not used by anything and its out put was marked as a switch on label of head unit. Just inserted wire into the connector and folded the exposed copper into an empty slot in the connector gap, be careful not to touch the bear copper leads to other pins of the head unit. There is an empty slot between C1 block and C2 block of Connector C.

Result:- Now, the amp turns off with head unit. Now, even with ignition turned off when I press volume(on/Off) knob I am able to listen to music. I double checked whether amp turns off by checking the green power led when the head unit turned off.

CONNECTOR DIAGRAM
    ISO CONNECTOR.jpg

LABEL ON HEAD UNIT
    07022012053.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    4 people like this.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    awesome share, will help many Fiatian's.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for sharing it here. I will share it in the official ICE thread as well for the benefit of other members.

Also, I would like info on one more thing.

Suppose we are talking to someone over the phone using Blue&Me. We are listening to the guy on other side of the phone via car speakers and suddenly we turn off the ignition. In such cases, Blue&Me does not shut off and one can continue to talk to the person using the car speakers and mike. When we disconnect the call, then even Blue&Me shuts off.

Is this possible in your set up as well? I mean if you are talking to someone over phone using Blue&Me, and you turn off the ignition, are you still able to hear the other person tlk from your car speakers or does the speaker set up shut down?
  4. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Has not checked this? I will post the answer after I try this.

Thanks for sharing on the ICE thread.
  5. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Paddleshifter, If I turn off ignition during handsfree conversation(phone paired to blue and me and conversation going on), I am still getting the output from speakers.

Normally, if I turn on ignition with head unit on and radio off of hu is set to 00 mins, hu switches off immediately, amp also turns off.

If I turn on ignition with head unit on and radio off of hu is set to 20 mins, hu plays music, and amp remains turns on and I can enjoy music.

with phone paired to blue and me and no conversation over phone and hu radio off option set to 00 mins, Ignition turned off - hu turns off, amp turns off, B&M disconnects from phone immediately.

With phone paired to B&M and conversation is in progress over phone and hu radio off option set to 00 mins, Ignition turned off- B&M does not disconnect immediately, it remains active as long as the call is in progress and disconnects only after some time after disconnecting the call.

Hope this provides the information needed.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. sushilbiddu

sushilbiddu

Karnal
    Not working in Active as it doesn't have AUX in menu. Is there any method to enable AUX in Active HU.
  7. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What is not working in active head unit? Can you please, eloberate on what was not working in active headunit?
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Strange. Sushilbiddu has posted in my GPS thread about BT Stereo headset connected to AUX :confused: :confused:

Rajan
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  9. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Then how it appeard here? Is there any bug or by mistake he posted here also? sushi has to confirm actually what had happened.