1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY -noodle mat (similar to 3M Nomad)-Style Floor Mats

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by vista7155, Sep 7, 2014.

1. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    ^^You are welcome and enjoy the mats.
    As of now after 1.6 years it is holding very good and only foot rest area is worn off to some extend at driver side but considering the price it is a complete VFM product.
  2. Anirudha Mukerjee

Anirudha Mukerjee Novizio

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.4
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks to the direction provided by @vista7155 and my college Arnab, I have completed the floor mat DIY for my Punto Evo. For the benefit of future enthusiasts of this DIY, I felt I should put together the current rates and my calculations prevailing in Bangalore.
    I bought the noodle mat from Charm Agency (JC Road) as advised, asked for the various options available and zeroed in on (a pre-decided) brand. The one I got is called 'Softurf Lite', costing Rs 60/sqft. I bargained and got it for Rs 58/sqft.
    matCompany.jpg
    Mat quality (and thickness); looks flimsy.
    thickness.jpg
    I asked for 20 sqft of the mat after discussing with the shop owner (even though it is listed here, I had that redundant discussion). The shopkeeper tried to sell me 10 feet of 2 ft wide mat, but I refused and insisted for the 4 feet wide mat. I felt it could provide more flexibility in the cut, if I need dimensions more than 2 feet. The deal was struck at Rs 1160/- and I bought the grey color mat sheet.
    I also bought a permanent marker and a cutter on the way and I was all set.
    I took out the stock mats and measured them, just in case (instincts from engineering drawing). I also measured the specs inside the car as there was some more scope of covering the carpet than what the default mats did. The black ink are the mat dimensions with blue ink measuring the car dimensions.
    oldMats.jpg dimentions.jpg
    Then I traced out the floor mats on the (new) noodle mat including the increased dimensions and buffer for in car alterations.
    marking-1.jpg marking-2.jpg
    I also, wanted the rear mat to be a single unit, as it is easier to use and maintain without the worry of keeping it in place.
    marking-3.jpg
    The fruit of the work, took about 90 mins without a helping hand.
    newMats.jpg
    The remaining piece; my wife suggests, a door (foot) mat could be cut out and used in the utility area. :facepalm:

remainingSheet.jpg

The mat cut largely worked out, other than couple of additional cuts for the driver side mat to snugly fit the dead pedal and a curve near the driver seat. I took a small chunk below the accelerator and checked, the A pedal movement is not restricted :)
    installedInCar-1.jpg

The single mat unit at the rear floor.
    installedInCar-2.jpg

A closer look installedInCar-3.jpg installedInCar-4.jpg installedInCar-5.jpg

The mats are not slipping or moving from their place and so far no rubbery smell. Will post again if the rubber smell creeps in.
    Enjoy the DIY.
  3. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    ^^ superb work anirudha.
    Enjoy the miles with new mat,which is more vfm compared to 3M.
    The rear mat may slip due to the passenger feat movement and if it does please tag with Velcro tape.
    In my case it was moving little bit.
    Anirudha Mukerjee likes this.
  4. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @vista7155: buddy how about floor lamination ? I have seen many opt this as its very convenient to clean.
  5. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    ^^ Floor lamination will be difficult to clean as it will be fixed I believe.
  6. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    no buddy. in fact its very easy to clean. As vinyl surface is smooth, you can collect all the dust with a wet cloth very easily. Otherwise you need a vacuum cleaner to clean the stock one.