1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY -noodle mat (similar to 3M Nomad)-Style Floor Mats

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by vista7155, Sep 7, 2014.

1. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

Was looking for a change of floor mats for my 1 year old Punto. Did not want to spend too much, As the 3M was costing around 6K so ruled out. I had seen rolls of the noodle mat (similar to 3M Nomad), so thought I would do a DIY with this. Really happy that it came out well.
    The material brand is INSTA and width is 4 feet. I bought a black color 4 feet width and 5 feet length. That is 20 sq ft. After a bit of bargaining, got it at Rs. 1240 that is 62/- per sq ft.

Store Details:
    Charm Agencies JC road near by to Ravindra Kalakshetra,Bangalore.

Manpower and time consumed:
    Me and my Father and time consumed is around 2 hrs.

How to do it.
    Make a newspaper prototypes of the exact dimensions and then cutting the material as per this prototypes. You will always need to do some final tweaking in the car - especially to accommodate the cutting for dead pedal, fuel lid,Boot Lid opener etc.

Totally we made 5 Mats two front and three behind as OEM Mats.

Out come
    Now Cleaning of mats is not major headache as it may be cleaned in every two months.
    In rainy Season there is no need to worry for wet mats and damp smell.

My next DIY will be damping the doors with yoga mats.
    In the same store got 2 yoga mats for 600/- 5mm thickness and Fevicol SR 998 1 litre for 330/-

Let the pictures follow. WP_20140907_14_34_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140907_14_34_22_Pro.jpg WP_20140907_14_48_59_Pro.jpg

After Cutting as per requirement we can see installed mats in below pics.
    1. Driver side

now passenger side front
    WP_20140907_15_28_44_Pro.jpg WP_20140907_15_30_15_Pro.jpg WP_20140907_15_31_12_Pro.jpg

now rear side LH pics follows

now behind driver seat pics follows

center hump covered

as the mat is thick i found that accelerator pedal travel was restricted hence modified the mat in the place and Close up shot near accelerator pedal. WP_20140907_15_34_26_Pro.jpg

Thanks and Regards
  2. mayank

mayank Amatore

I was also impressed of those nomad mats by 3m initially but looking at the cost i had to drop the idea. Now i am also looking for a diy after seeing you. Your diy has definitely come out very neat. These noodles mats are really better than other mats available in market and also they don't get dragged here and there.
  3. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Great work mate. Looks pretty neat and what a bargain.:cool:
    vista7155 likes this.
  4. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    Good DIY work! Its quite cheap, about 1/4th the cost of a Nomad mat which is quite a big difference even if you take into account the quality. I don't know if you are aware but 3M also has a cheaper alternative to Nomad which is about half the cost. I was shown both during my visit to 3M.

Even I am on the lookout for a mat for my Linea and I have been thinking of Kagu 3D or 3M nomad both cost around 6200.
  5. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Nice Work @vista7155 !! I was looking for something like this. Next week I will also try getting from the shop you have mentioned and DIY. Lets see how good does it come :)

I tried calling them and they said they do the cutting and fitting for an extra cost of 50-100 Rs. Any specific reason why you didn't go for it ?
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  6. rahulvfx

rahulvfx Amatore

Dude... that's supercool ... last week my friend did the 3M one spending 6.5k for his Elantra... I liked the mat verymuch ... but those are producing very bad odor inside the car (rubberish )... so I steped back for such investment... now does this material gives those kind of odor ? Please share, then next week I will reach J C Rd to get the material ...
  7. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

they offered same service but the time i purchased was around 1.30 pm and they told it may take 1hr to fix it, as i was feeling very hungry and it was Sunday so there were no hotels nearby for the lunch and also i was not comfortable leaving the car to unknown people. So i took the material and did it myself started the work at 3 pm and finished within 5 pm.

as i finished my 2nd free service ASS have cleaned my interior and polished the dashboard the smell was from the dashboard polish before installing.
    now i can feel the smell but unable to distinguish between the two :banghead: i have to wait few more days to recognize it.;)

But in other forum i have heard the issue but they got the solution.
    I think the thread may be from team bhp.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

Great DIY,
    Similar DIY was previously also share on TFI.
    Its economical as well as good learning :)

Having said that, I am not much fan of noodle mats.
    If you have kids or if you eat inside car, then this noodle mats are big trap for absorbing the food particles and other things that fall on it, they get stuck giving rise to bacterias and other unwanted fungus. And in monsoon seasons the dirt and dampness remains stuck into it.
    Italia-Linea likes this.
  9. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

yes the dirt will be trapped inside the mat in noodle type mats but i had very bad experience with Punto OEM mats where it was very easily becoming soiled in the rainy season and pain to clean if visitors are more in the car :banghead:.
    Every time we have to wash the mat because of the mud it was holding and the same mud was transferring to surrounding plastic areas and it was looking very dirty.
    With these new mats i am not facing the issue after using for 2 days in rain and also there is no need to wash for every cleaning .
    And one more advantage i am getting is there is little bit increase in the height for resting the foot and it solved my ankle pain where is was getting in city drive :happy:.
  10. Anirudha Mukerjee

Anirudha Mukerjee Timido

Punto Evo 1.4
    Thanks @vista7155 , I was also looking for a DIY mat option for my punto. Will try follow your steps. Also, thanks for sharing the shop name in JC Road.