1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY- Mesh Grill

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by thomman85, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Got if from google search & PS.ed it
  2. singh

singh Amatore

Nice DIY , looks do improve . How lower grill was removed ?
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    Grande Punto 1.3
    killer thomman bro, this is of great help.
    keep it up and the cars looking KILLLLLLEEERRRRRRRR
    1 person likes this.
  4. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

The upper and lower grill has 10 clip on locks, 5 on top and 5 on bottom. Just put in the electrical wire on each corner & give a hard pull, the corners come out first. the procedure to remove both are almost the same..

except,the fiat emblem on the upper grill is screwed to a clamp on the bumper... hence the 4screws under the bonnet have to be unscrewed.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Thank you very much...
  5. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

HI Thoman/Others,

I'm just having a weird idea in my mind.

Instead of cutting the original grill, is it possible to open up the entire front bumper, remove the grill and fix the mesh entirely on the inner side of the bumper with a adhesive like M-Seal or something.

Is this feasible? It would save our exisitng grill and also will involve less work. How difficult is it to remove the entire front bumper?
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  6. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

yes u can do it.. but if u do so.. then the clip holes on the bumper to lock the grills will be visible...
    all those modification shops remove the whole bumper..and not just the grill.., they remove the bumper and cut the grill and them fix the mesh entirely on the inner side of the grill with a adhesive like M-Seal or something..
    i have not removed the whole bumper.. so i'm not sure.. but it has some 5 screws on each side of the wheel arches...5 screws on the bumper under the bonnet.. and another 5 or 6 underneath.... and some clips on each side to close the gap between the frame and bumper on the sides..

but to have a much neater finish.. its best to remove the bumper.. if ur removing them.. make sure that u dont leave it on the ground.. keep it on top of some paper cardboard,towels or carpet...so that the paint is not damaged..
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Thomman, thanks for the reply. DIY is indeed a lot of work for mesh grill.
    Life would be easier if they sell model specific mesh grills in shops :)
  8. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

DIY is not easy... That's why others pay to get it done...
  9. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

WHAT AN IDEA..... MESH.jpg

the OEM grill is wrapped in a mesh.. looks kinda neat...and cost effective.

sorry for the poor quality picture...
    1 person likes this.
  10. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

While this is a good DIY to customize the face of the car, please bear in mind the grill serves a functional purpose in stopping road debris from hitting the radiator and damaging it. If the gap between the grill elements is too large, you risk damaging your radiator. In fact while looking at my grill I was wondering why a finer mesh is not provided as OEM behind the lower grill.