1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY- Mesh Grill

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by thomman85, Apr 2, 2012.

1. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

A DIY PROJECT ---- Honey comb style mesh grill

Tools required.

• 2 x 3ft long and 7 inch wide mesh
    • 2 x normal electric wire
    • 1 x 4mm ellan key
    • Size 8 spanner
    • Axe saw blade
    • Pliers
    • Heavy wire cutter (Borrowed)
    • Long needle
    • Candle or lighter
    • Long Copper Wire
    • Sand paper

Gather all the tools and materials before proceeding, this way will help make this a lot easier.

These are the steps I followed.

1[SUP]s[/SUP][SUP]t[/SUP] step would be to remove the grill from the bumper. To do this, open the bonnet, inside u will notice 4 screws in a straight line just above the grill. Using the ellan key, remove the screws. IMG-20120402-00147.jpg

Now pull the bumper towards you and look inside, you will see the badge bolted to a clap, use the spanner and remove the badge.

The grill is a clip on locks, 5 on top and 5 on bottom. Just put in the electrical wire on each corner & give a hard pull, the corners come out first.

Note: What I learned from my mistake, don’t immediately start sawing the grill. Why!! Because once the inside part of the grill is cut off, the frame looses its rigidity, there by causing the grill to loose its actual shape. More over this will cause the mesh to be of different dimension and finally won’t fit in the bumper properly.

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] step: Place the grill on a flat surface, the front side facing the ground. Place the mesh on the grill and start molding the mesh in shape of the grill.
    mesh.jpg
    3[SUP]rd[/SUP] step: Now using the axe saw blade cut the inside of the grill. Using the sand paper, smooth-en out the rough edges. It took me 2days for sawing and half a day for sanding the grills, better not the mention the blister on my hands. (I would recommend skipping this and next step, follow the 5step and then take it to a workshop they can cut the mesh and the grill using the grinder and would not charge u a lot.)

4[SUP]th[/SUP] step: use a wire cutter to cut the mesh in shape. This is a very difficult process as the mesh is very strong and the one I used is made of aluminum. Note: mesh of different strength is available, lighter one’s are easier to work with.

5[SUP]th[/SUP] step: Attaching the mesh to the grill. This is tricky, I tried some glue that was bought form the hardware store, but it dint stick properly. So I took it to a work shop and consulted a mechanic. What he advised me was to make holes on the grill. I wasn’t sure how it was work. So he showed me, he heated a needle and poked it through the grill. And the process was effortless as the grill is made of a plastic kind of material. Use a metal wire to tie the mesh to the grill with the plier.
    Heat the needle and poke through the grill to create the holes.
    IMG-20120331-00136.jpg IMG-20120331-00137.jpg IMG-20120331-00135.jpg

6th step: cut off any excess wire and any protruding mesh using the cutter. Any excess mesh that is folded or protruding should be cut away, as this will not allow the clips to fall into their locks properly
    2012-03-13 17.55.49.jpg 2012-03-13 17.56.16.jpg I r=wraped it with red vinyl 1st, then decided to paint. IMG-20120324-00126.jpg
    7[SUP]th[/SUP] step: Paint the grill and mesh in the desired colour (I dint paint the mesh).

8[SUP]th[/SUP] Step: Attach the grill to the bumper. It’s a simple task, but will turn out to be a nightmare if the meshes are not cut properly..
    IMG-20120331-00142.jpg IMG-20120331-00144.jpg

With or without badge..!!!

IMG-20120331-00145.jpg IMG-20120331-00146.jpg

The whole process took me 2 weekends. Out of the 4days, – taking the grill out cutting the mesh, sawing the grill took 3days. (On my visit to the workshop did I find out, it would have only cost me only Rs 100 or less to cut the grill using a machine. Approx time- 10-15mins)

Flaw in the project, but considering the cost, It is something i can live with.

IMG-20120331-00143.jpg
    Cost
    Mesh, axe saw blade, sand paper and glue cost me Rs 300
    Gave Rs30 to mechanic
    Painting: 500
    Total cost 300+30+500= Rs 830

If you not a fan of DIY, but want a mesh grill at an affordable price then follow the below step:
    Step1 : buy the mesh
    Step2 :take it to a local body-shop cum workshop, the mechanic would remove the grill, cut grind and smooth the grill and attach the mesh to the grill. Still I don’t think he would charge you more than Rs500 as the most of the work is using a electrical tool.
    Let say he charged you Rs1200 including paint and mesh will cost rs300
    Total: 1200+300= Rs1500.
    The same work if u gives it to a modification shop, they will charge you at least Rs.3000.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

Karnataka
    amazing very nice and looks good as well on your car...i m thinking if I can do it for my Bronzo scuro T-Jet - a black mesh grill ;-)
  3. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Nice & clean work thomman85.

Even my punto is waiting for change in grill design. waiting for the free time. Have already selected a design, just a simple modification to OEM grill.

Here is the PS job pic.

A mini FERRARI/MASERATI look

Grill.JPG
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    5 people like this.
  4. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Thanks... and go ahead.. its a nice week end project...

Thanks you.. but i would't call it clean.. ;)

i"ve seen this in fiat forum and Intially i did have sumthing like this in mind..with a few changes.. but later went with the mesh..
    in fiat forum u can find one guy has done the same design as above and also gave a chrome finish.. look really good...
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Thomman where did you get the mesh?
  6. ameysane

ameysane

Mumbai
    different types of mesh designs will be available at any local Aluminium & Hardware Stores.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    ok let me check in a shop which is closer to my home :)
  8. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

this particular design may be difficult to get as it more used for modification and not all stores will have them..

the mesh i used is very strong and hard to work with.. there are other designs and of different strength. Its more easy to cut and work with light ones, but they won't have the same appeal..

check with the big stores....... normally small stores would only stock fast moving items.....
  9. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    By any chance do you know the link to Fiat forum or any word to search with?
  10. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

I tried searching , but I'm sorry...
    where did u get this picture... i have seen the same picture in one of the forum.. either fiatforum or grandepuntoclub..not sure..