1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Linea / Punto Head Up Display (HUD)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Viny, Feb 26, 2011.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sir Ji, price of this Pad please??? :nicethread
    PM me if its a military secret. ::V It looks good. Please share the link/place from where you got it as well.

Thanks.
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Paddleshifter: The pad that I used costs around $150 - $180, if you can buy from shenzen, China. I got both the stuffs directly from China.
    On ebay its available from $250 - $350. There are lower versions also available without 3G and GPS at around 50$, looks like replica of ipad.

In this internet world even US could not keep military secrets, wikkileaks is there :D
  3. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks, I was searching on eBay and found some similar gadgets.
    http://cgi.ebay.in/7-APad-MID-Android-2 ... 4157202437

http://cgi.ebay.in/Android-2-1-Tablet-1 ... 27b8d79bed

Does it matter if it's Android 2.1 or 2.2?
    And there are so many chinese brands offering tabs. How to know whether it is relatively good or not? What's the name of the brand that you got?
    Sorry to bombard so many questions. I think it might help those who may look for this DIY.

:lol: ::T
  4. Viny

Viny Esperto

Both the links that you posted are $50-$60 products, in simple words useless.
    Dont buy any of these chinese products online, better buy it from a store once you have gone though the entire device, its configs and its capabilities.
    Brand doesnt matter in chinese products, all come out from same graveyards :p

Frankly I would not recommend buying this chinese pads online.
    Andorid 2.2 is better option, even 2.1 one would work to. I have both versions and torque works fine on both.

Which phone do you use? you can most probably use the same has HUD :)
  5. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I use hTC P3400i that I bought in mid 2008. It is powered by Windows mobile 6.0. So, the technology is quite old for torque and similar apps.

That chinese Pad looked good and I thought it might come in handy for GPS nav and videos. ::V

But your following comment is so true:
    :evilsmile :lol:
  6. Viny

Viny Esperto

Nah, you phone is still a jawan phone :p
    There are OBDII scanner softwares available for Windows Mobile 5/6 too. Google is your best friend, if not then make me :D

Even I got this pad for same reason, Video, GPS, Games, phone, video calls in car, etc... its entire carpc under 10k and can be mounted anywhere :)
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    gr8 one Viny. what a co-incidence, i had almost purchased the android tablet online. but then backed off thinking why to buy the chinese ones.
    i dint go for bluetooth OBD. long back i had purchased the USB ones and i read somewhere that bluetooth ones drop the connection packets.

i am using FIAT factory software for monitoring performance and various parameters on my linea.
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

@Italia: I didnt found any packet loss kind of issue, being wireless it give freedom of devices to get connected with. My only concern is that given that it remains connected to ECU, its keeps on consuming some power to power up bluetooth. Might not be good for battery if car stands for long period.
  9. Perfect implementation :). The projection technique is novel. I was thinking on lines of your project using a pico projector projecting the light in a out of phase fashion.
  10. guru

guru

Hyderabad
    i was thinking the same specially the pico projector part.

carputer /tablet splitting with dual screen video - one for HU and other for pico projector.