1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Linea / Punto Head Up Display (HUD)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Viny, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

Watch this thread for details on DIY Head up Display, that shows interesting details about car like

1. Speed
    2. Throtle
    3. RPM
    4. Coolant Temperature
    5. AIR Intake
    6. Acceleration

And 100s of other data by directly collecting information's from ECU :)

Sorry for poor quality of images, better ones to come soon along with DIY steps.

So lets get started with it :)
    Basically every car that we get today are very much computer controlled and hence its been technically smart as well it gives more power to people like us to get finer details about the car. To accomplish this project, we need three major things

1. A method to connect to car computer (ECU) and read the needful information from it.
    2. A software to interpret this information and give us meaningful representation data.
    3. A method to get this data displayed to our windscreens so that we dont have to look anywhere else to get the information that we want.

Now that you have seen the pics above that means this 3 things can be easily achieved hence we can have a "DIY" method for it (since i was able to do it, so anyone should be able to do it)

Lets get started with things that we would need to pull this up

1. A device to collect information form ECU, we know our service center guys use examiners to scan this data. But we dont have it, so alternative is "ELM 327 OBD II Bluetooth Scanner", its a very easily available and a very low cost device which helps in collecting the data form ECU and transmitting via bluetooth so that it can be used by any device for interpretations. This is the device

This is easily available at EBAY

2. Software: There are various software's available for ECU scanning and mapping, the one that I have used is known as "Torque", its most famous OBD scanning software for Android OS. I have selected this as I would be using Android based device for head up projection.

This software is available in free as well as paid version at Android Market Place. Similar software's exists for Windows Mobile and Iphone too. There are Windows and Linux software's also available for PC/Desktops

3. Projection : This has been biggest challenge, given that windshields are transparent in nature, so in general any projection done on it would mean lights getting though it. Though there has been various technological advancements made in this area, but most of the things would be out of budget for most of us to carry out HUD, so what I used was a very common method of projection, its like using your phone and placing it on dashboard for, so that something get reflected on windshield glass. Well this sounds funny, but it works to some extend during night times.
    I used a 7" Android tablet for and placed it on dashboard and voila, the reflection worked as projection on windshield.

Now that we have everything ready lets get into action, its very simple, all we need to do is connect the obd II scanner to car ECU, connect our device (in my case, 7"pad) to OBD scanner and start our software to get the data.

OBDII connector port is available just below the steering on right hand side, its slightly under the fuse panel. See the given below images.

OT: The 10amp fuse that you see here the fuse for ACC and Headunit, if you dont see power in headunit and acc, check this out :D

Once you have successfully connected the OBDII connector. Go back to your projection device, enable bluetooth and scan for devices, you should see a new device name "CHK" connect to it and when prompted give passcode as 6789, this is generic password, otherwise look into the manuals of your device for pass code.

Once the bluetooth connection is established, hurray :) Start the Torque application and it would pair itself with connected stream and would start reading data from ECU and soon you would see the various details on your screen. You can configure the torque screen widgets as per your choices.

Thats all you are done, now you have all the data seen on your device and you know you can project it on windshield by placing the device close to windshield and the windshield will show you the reflection , there you go enjoy your HUD Display, similarly you can display the GPS Maps too :drinks

Before you come back to me confused with projection views, one last thing, in Torque go to setting and select enable HUD display. Otherwise you would see mirror image reflection on screen where by everything looking otherway round :p

Go ahead and enjoy and let me know if you need any further details.

P.S. And this works good in night only, before anyone hits me back :helmet
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  2. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Re: DIY - Linea Head Up Display (HUD)

:wow :wow :wow
    :clap :clapping ::T ::T

Glued to this thread !!!!! :drinks

3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Where this gadegt is available. ?
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    I saw the name of thread starter "Viny" and I knew he must have done something interesting. How do you know so much about the car electronics man? ::T
    You must be an engineer by the way, no doubt!!
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

hey viny. kudos to you man, waiting for more details.

i see the same details and many more, but only on my laptop. i have seen people projecting it from android phones on the windshield. but you seem to be using something big :)
  6. Viny

Viny Esperto

I will try not to disappoint you :)

You dont need any special gadget :) You will find further details in DIY steps

Thanks to TFI and internet. Every man born in this country is engineer ("jugadu") by brain and doctor ("free ki salah denewala") by heart :D

Yes interesting to see details and i got some good softwares on laptop for same. But watching it on HUD while driving makes it look uber cool. :D

Guys will try to post the DIY write up by the EOD, feel free to post all you queries so that I can include in DIY.

PS: I am new to writing DIY's :(
  7. guru

whoa! looks futuristic. few question.
    is it safe to have this on and drive at night?
    is it legible during daytime?
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

Guys, DIY steps have been updated on first post, enjoy , i can try to answer your queries to best of my understandings

@guru: well its not much of problem in night, its generally transparent and you can adjust the display by placing it locations which is comfortable to you :) and its not legible during daytime atleast with current setup, but there are technologies coming up to make it legible during daytime too.
  9. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Viny Paaji, what's the price of 7inch Pad that you have shown above?? Can it do anything else if we don't want to use it for HUD?? (suppose we get bored of HUD thing after a month or so). Can it play videos, music or anything else like the tabs? ::V ::OO And the price of OBD scanner as well???
  10. Viny

Viny Esperto

@Paddleshifter, if you have iphone or android phone (not sure about nokias) then you can use them to for overhead projections as there are OBD scanner software available for both the phones.

The 7" pad that you saw is nothing but an android phone similar to Samsung galaxy tab, only thing is that its cheap Chinese replica, and yes it can be used completely as carputer too, it has GPS, Music player, video player, Internet, 3G, WIFI, touchscreen and every thing else :D

OBD Scanner is available on EBAY from 25-30$ onwards, locally its available around 3000-3500rs.