1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY: Installing a Tuning box.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jishnu, Jul 29, 2011.

1. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Basically all tuning box have the same connectors for the rail of the car. There are only 3 connectors. Any tuning box will have the following items in it.
    1)Tuning box
    2)Connectors( Wires)

The things that a person needs to fit the tuning box-
    1)Wrench- Size 10mm.
    2)Screwdriver (Star)
    3)Any blade or knife will do.

1)Release the hood. Place it on the stand.
    2)Now connector on the hose pipe and the other air hose pipe has to be removed.
    3)Now with the connector, open the two screws present on the hose to the air filter.
    Note: Be careful while opening the screws, they might fall off inside the engine compartment.
    4)Then just pull out the Hose pipe. Please do not pull it very hard. Just plug it out from the air filter box or the engine cover.
    5)Now pull the the engine cover towards yourself.
    Note: It'll be very hard to pull it out first time. It has no screws or whatsoever. It is placed on plastic mountings.
    6)Now when you open the engine cover, you'll notice the rail pipe, which is made up of stainless steel. On the left hand side on the rail, you'll see a connector with a yellow lock. Just open the lock which is faced downwards. Then press the black plastic clip to disconnect the terminal.
    7)Then take the wire provided with the tuning box. Plug it inside the terminal on the rail. It fits in with a click. Then fit the left out connector of the car to the left out connector of the tuning box.
    7)Then place the wire accordingly. Tie the wires with the other wires of the car with the tie raps.
    8)Then place the tuning box in a polythene cover and connect the left out terminal to the tuning box.
    Note: The terminal to the tuning box will be the biggest in size and can be made out easily.
    9)Now place the tuning box using the tie rap.
    10) Start the engine and see whether you get the check engine light. If you get, see the troubleshooter.
    11)cut the excess the tie raps with a blade.
    12)Revert the process to fix the hoses, connectors, engine cover.

Important notes:
    Please fix the tuning box, when the engine is cold. If the engine is hot, the rail will be like a TAWA!! :D

Hope this helps. Attaching some pics which description.

2. Nice thread Jishnu, can you also post few more pictures of Race chip connectors and how the connections should be made. Also after the installation, will there be any change/care to be taken in starting the engine for the first time with tuning box?
  3. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Hope this video will help! :)

When starting for the first time, just look out for a continuous TIK-TIK sound from the box. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2011
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

hey Jishnu, what a nice explanation. this is more professional than a user manual :)
  5. Italia-Linea

Hey for trial i just hooked on the racechip on my linea. I borrowed it from my friend for couple of days. He was using it on his optra. The connectors are exactly the same on linea and the box is common across all cars. its just that racechip guys set the dials differently based on diff cars.

I dint find much difference for time being. I tried using B-1 and D-1 setting. infact on D-1 i found there is more lag than B-1. What are the best settings you found on your racechip?

Mainly to fit the Racechip i dint remove the top airbox cover at all. You can easily install it by pulling the CR rail connector from left.
  6. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Ya as said the CR connector will be the same for many cars but for cars like Renault Logan, Nissan Micra etc have different connector. I use 4 and 6 setting in my car. Actually the lag you are speaking of is due to the setting that was set in your friends optra. I sets according to the driving manner or pattern. Whenever i drive, i remove it and change the setting.

And the way you have fitted it, is just a temporary solution. It is very easy to remove it from the sides, but be careful that you don break the connector clip. :)
  7. Italia-Linea

I tried with different settings. B-1 is for linea. In this mode there is just a marginal increase in power. In D-1 there is good difference and car just sprints open. But turbo lag is heavily noticed with Race Chip.
    After studying properly all the settings and parameters on the ECU scanner its quite evident that it just dumps more fuel. The turbo lag is more as there is no air to burn the excess fuel in low rpms.

Its a good device to be used on highways though. Will remove it tomorrow. was fun using it.