1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY-How to fix boot dent on a Punto without using a dent removal tool

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by s.rahus, Feb 24, 2014.

1. s.rahus

s.rahus Novizio

Hi All,

I am no hero with DIYs and this is my first post regarding a DIY stuff. Please excuse the drawbacks and flaws.

DIY- Fixing the boot dent in a Punto

Disclaimer: This is a DIY method to fix the boot dent on Punto without using any dent removal tools. This method may not work on all occasions and has its limitations depending on the area of impact and the depth or sharpness of the dent. It worked for me doesn't mean that it will work for you. Reader's discretion is expected.

On the way to Palani, from Chennai, an unfortunate incident happened; our car got hit at the rear by a biker. The accident took place soon after Dindigul, on Saturday (22 February 2014 around 5:00PM). We were at a speed of 40-50 km/h and slowed down at a speed breaker to 20-30 km/h. Even though it was not a sudden deceleration, I believe that the biker was not able to slow down or did not notice us slowing down at all. Luckily the guy on the bike (a 20 or 21 years old max) was fine and had only a couple of bruises on his foot. We stayed with him for some time and then continued our journey, after making sure that he has settled down. A very good young lad, well behaved.
    Now, this is what happened to our car. There was a dent around the "Punto" badge, the bumper was mis-aligned and one of the number plate lights was not functioning. Boot_01.jpg Boot_top.jpg Check number plate light_01.jpg Check number plate light_02.jpg

We were back our in Chennai on Sunday and decided to take the car to RDC Ambattur body shop on Monday. Monday by 11:00 AM, we reached Ambattur RDC body shop. They had a look at my car and informed me that, the dent has to be pulled out and the entire boot has to be re-painted and the estimate was Rs 4000 approx. I was shocked, and asked them if they can just try to pull out the dent and paint only if I am not satisfied with the result. They said "No, that will not work Sir. We know, right, we are doing it everyday". So, I asked them to just fix the bumper alignment and number plate light (as I don't have the tools to do it myself and anyway we were standing in a body shop). Rs 735 was charged- Rs 550 for labor, Rs 30 for the number plate light and the remaining amount tax.

We took the car straight away to the "Carnation" Ambattur and listened to almost same "theory" from the supervisor there. The estimate was Rs 2500 + tax. I told them that I will come on a weekend and left the place.

My brother and I always had the thought that we should try to push the dent from inside after removing the boot panel from inside and it might just work. After hearing the "full boot repaint theory" from the professionals, we decided to try our method before giving the car to them.
    Came back to our apartment at Tambaram, had our lunch and with a tool kit (a star screw driver of the right size, even a normal screw driver or the common "tester" would do") went to the car, with our DIY thingy in mind.

Things required

(1) A star screw driver of the right size (even a normal screw driver or the common "tester" would do")
    (2) A lot of luck (This method may not work on all occasions and has its limitations depending on the area of impact and the depth or sharpness of the dent).

(1) Unscrew the 5 screws and remove the inside plastic panel of the boot as shown in the picture below:
    Boot panel_screws.jpg

(2) Once all the screws are out, pull out the panel carefully (yes you have to use some force here to pull the panel out). Once the panel is removed, it will be like the picture below:
    Boot panel removed.jpg
    (3) Insert your hand, feel the dent from inside and push the dent from inside using your thumb and fingers as shown below. Do it slowly repeat the process if necessary until you are satisfied. Please refer the picture below:
    Push out.jpg
    (4) Put back the panel in and tighten the screws, That's it. You are done!

Rear fixed_01.jpg Boot fixed_02.jpg Boot fixed top.jpg

Important Note

Its only 90-95% perfect, I would say. If you look too closely (more so at 180 degree angle) or feel the region with your fingers you might find some imperfections. Having that said I saved minimum Rs 2500 and the satisfaction is priceless.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    23 people like this.
  2. Iyu

Iyu Timido

A good DIY... Fix
    1 person likes this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Congrats s.rahus, you have done a favour to your Punto saving it from further trauma. :p

Thus the money saved is money earned..! :D
    1 person likes this.
  4. Anup

Anup Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank for sharing.... ::T
    1 person likes this.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

I always thought FIAT's metal all over is much stronger.. hmmm... :confused:

Nevertheless, nice DYI mate. Thanks
    1 person likes this.
  6. Linear

Linear Amatore

Great job there. Also, good thinking not to fall prey to the gimmicks of service guys.

Of course, it worked because the dent was fairly big in size and not so much in depth. Small, sharp dents will not be possible to mend this way.
    1 person likes this.
  7. s.rahus

s.rahus Novizio

Glad to hear that, thanks!

Ha ha yeah, this is how they create DIYers?
    You are welcome, mate!

Hmmm, yes it is. But this method worked somehow.

Yes, agreed!

U S
    1 person likes this.
  8. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    That stopped with the Palios buddy. The flex you observe in Punto's sheet metal is a lot more than that seen in Palio's. A similar dent removal we tried out on a Palio left the boot looking really messy. The metal was impossible to push- be it by fingers, or by palm, then tapping using a small wood piece. In the end full blown hammering moved the metal outward, but the result left the boot looking a lot worse than what it was when we started out!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Simple but pretty useful DIY. Good job and thanks for sharing with us.
    1 person likes this.
  10. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Linea T-Jet
    Good Diy!! It seems perfect.
    1 person likes this.