1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY: Engine Oil Change for Punto 1.2/ 1.4

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by harishgayatri, Dec 16, 2012.

1. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    Hi guys, This is my First DIY.(This involves lot of work). The Oil change was done by mechanic & not me. Hence I don't have the complete list of tools required for doing this work. The oil change was successful & my Punto has already traveled 900kms since then(in 4 days)

Disclaimer: I & TFI are not responsible for whatsoever happens. Do it at your own risk(DIYR) :)

NOTE: Don't throw the Engine oil in the drain & don't re use the same

Total time taken/required 30-40 mins

Few things required
    1. Allen Key (L shaped for Oil sump bolt removal)
    2. Jack (for lifting the car)
    3. Engine Oil (of course) Grade 5W-40 Fully Synthetic
    4. Tools required for opening under body guard(for engine bay. I don't know the exact spanner size)
    5. Measuring Jar & Funnel, Pair of Gloves & rags to clean the drain bolt & the oil cap
    6. 4 Liter vessel for draining the oil & storing it.
    7. New Oil Filter(You will also need Filter removal tool)

1. Take a short drive to warm the oil & then halt the car under a cool dry place.

2. Set the Jack under the Driver's side(There is an arrow pointer near the mud flaps for placing the Jack. Refer to manual page no 116) & lift it. My Vehicle had an under belly guard & hence had to remove the same for accessing the Oil drain bolt. The guard has around 6-8 screws
    CIMG0095.jpg CIMG0096.jpg

3. Open the Engine oil cap & keep it safe. Clean the area around the drain bolt with waste a cloth & Use the Allen key to open the drain bolt in anti clock wise direction(It may also require sight hammer if it has caught rust). Place the Oil collector vessel Under the drain bolt & Don't drop the bolt in the vessel.
    CIMG0097.jpg CIMG0099.jpg

4. Wait for the Oil to drain completely & Clean the drain bolt & refit. (Don't over tighten the drain bolt). Remove the oil filter using the Filter opening tool & fit the new filter after applying some oil in around the gasket. (Note that the Oil Filter should not be over tightened)
    CIMG0098.jpg CIMG0100.jpg CIMG0101.jpg

5. Pour the new Oil in the measuring Jar & then fill it with the help of the funnel. In this way you don't tend to overfill. The 1.2 requires 3.15 liters & the 1.4 requires 3.3 litres.
    CIMG0104.jpg CIMG0105.jpg

Finally after filling fit & tighten the cap & Wait for few mins, Remove the Jack & then start your engine & let it Idle. DO NOT REV YOUR ENGINE.

You will note that the Oil symbol stays lit in the MID for few moments & goes away. That is perfectly normal.

Enjoy & drive safe :ugeek:
    6 people like this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Great, thanks for the writeup. :)

But whenever you need to get under the car, don't trust the jack. Use a car mount (ghodi). Just for safety reasons!

Also, if the oil filter fits in a vertical position, fill it up completely with oil and then install.

2 people like this.
  3. sungoa2010

Great work. Is there any torque specification for tightening the drain bolts? Just to avoid over tightening Fiat might have specified it.
  4. drkars

i just noticed that you are using shell helix xtra. warranty issues????
  5. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

Shell Helix Ultra is fully synthetic. I ve had an excellent experience with it in my earlier car.
    His car has to be feeling a lot smoother now!

Ideally, warranty has to do only with the engine oil grade. Until the manufacturer's grade recommendation is met it has to be ok. Oil brand shouldn't be a problem.
    I'm not sure of Fiat though
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  6. Linear

Linear Amatore

Harish, thanks for the detailed write-up.

Only one question - what do you do with the used oil?
  7. gurjinder

Put it in a container and just give it to any garage / mechanic. They sell it to those used oil buyers who further sell the used oil to some industries etc.

1 person likes this.
  8. How do we know if they sell it back to us in new can?
  9. gurjinder

Easy to visually distinguish between a used oil and brand new oil (even if fake). :) They mix everything up in one big drum, petrol/diesel/gearbox any oil.
    1 person likes this.