1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - DUAL Connection IPOD + OEM Headunit, Directly to Amplifier - amazing SQ

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Italia-Linea, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

After a long brainstorming, aftermaths, trying out various permutations combinations to get good quality sound from the OEM head unit finally i designed a circuit to use good quality sound from my IPOD/MP3 player/ android handset etc + keeping OEM head unit as source too.

Result : Amazing sound quality of IPOD, perfect bass + satisfaction.

Demerits :
    1. No Fader control.
    2. Steering controls do not work with IPOD obviously.

Bill of Materials:

1. 3.5mm to RCA cable (MX) - 5 metres - Rs.150
    2. Female to Female RCA splitter - 2nos - Rs. 40
    3. High quality 99.1% oxygen free RCA cable (MX) - Rs. 150
    4. Y cables - 2nos - already had it with me
    5. High to low converter - 1/2nos depending on no of channels you want - already had it with me
    6. Patience : a lot :)

Long back in my old car i had tried to connect the mp3 player directly to the amplifier on similar design. it worked but caused a lot of hissing. so i had dropped that idea.

But after couple of years this idea again started playing in my head, and for this i would thank our electronics guru Jayadev. he recommended to try it again with good quality cables to avoid hissing.
    His knowledge about electronics is simply great - the best DIY from him was the RCA hack from OEM head unit. i am going to try that too.

I had a good quality sony mp3 player that i had got from US last year. it came handy today to provide very very very good quality of sound.

i pulled a 3.5 mm to RCA cable from near the handbrake to the boot.
    The RCA cables i used are very high quality shielded ones. Due to this there is no hissing or popping sound whatsoever.

instead of putting it in words i would like to present the wiring diagram- which looks complex but yes it works like a charm.

Now whenever i have a mood to listen to good quality sound (which i always have) i play through the mp3 player and whenever i use phone thru blue and me or whenever i feel i want to use steering controls more i play thru OEM head unit (which sounds bakwas as compared to MP3 player source)

the MP3 circuit provides very high quality PRE AMP signal to the amplifiers. i get option of good 5/7 band equalizers to play with + preset sounds.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. Italia-Linea

If someone has a good tablet with nice sound staging softwares and good players this set up shall sound way better. tried connecting this with my laptop which has auto tuning feature through the mic.

there is a perfect soundstage and very good accurate bass. but its cumbersome to carry laptop everytime :(
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

A nice DIY - can we have some snaps?
  4. Italia-Linea

okay. going down to take some snaps. however one has to be ready for complex wirings all over :)
    i will try my level best to segregate the wires and take the snaps.
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

Sure - I am a BIG fan of DIY and love to see the snaps.
  6. Italia-Linea

ok here are the pictures.

1. The source 3.5 mm to RCA - snap with android handset.

2. The cables go all the way to the boot from beneath the rear seat

3. The high low converter, the female to female rca splitter and the 99.9% oxygen free high quality shielded RCAs ( MX and Scosche)

4. The Y cables for using the same signal for front and rear channel of the amplifiers.

5. The mighty JBL 75.4, 284 watts rms to sub + 100 watts each for the front component speakers
  7. anoop

anoop Superiore

Nice - thank for sharing. :Thumbs up for the work.

I think it may be better to upgrade the female to female RCA splitters - they looks like the same stuff I brought from local computer shop. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and right now, i think this splitters are the weakest link in your system.
  8. Italia-Linea

yes i tried to search hard for the MX ones. dint get it. these are local ones, but thankfully there is no hissing at all. in the 3rd picture just below the orange bundle do you notice a black silver connector? that was one i got earlier. it is high quality MX gold plated connector. however now the shop doesnt have any of them. he said he will order it for me in a week or so :)

what i have for comparison is - i have put same songs in pendrive, cd and my ipod. when i play from oem head unit the bass is muffled, mids are poor and the highs are harsh.

when played from ipod everything is so perfect. its a hell lot of difference.

now my next project is similar to what Jayadev has done i.e hacking RCA directly from the head unit DSP.
  9. anoop

anoop Superiore

Yes, I did notice that - ask him to order it for you.
    jayD is a electronic DIY guru :)

Will wait for the next (RCA) hack. Do not forget to take WIP pictures.
  10. Italia-Linea

the best part of using the mobile handset in this set up was, the music quality was good and while testing i received a phone, so music went in auto mute mode and i could speak to the person through my speakers and he could hear very clearly too :) similar to blue and me ;) and i shouted EUREKA..lol

now i am hunting for an android software through which i can control the left right channel as well as has time alignment kind of thing.

if anyone knows this kind of software please let me know.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011