1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Changing engine oil ( Multijet)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by mvb4u, Mar 23, 2012.

1. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Here is the pictorial details of my engine oil change.

The things needed to change engine oil(Grande Punto 1.3 Multi Jet Diesel).

1. 5W-40 Grade Synthetic Oil.

2. T40 size torx socket bit - To remove/fit Oil drain plug.

3. Funnel

4. A tray to hold drained oil.

Procedure:- Open the oil filler cap. Put a tray to hold the drain below the drain plug and Remove the engine oil drain plug using T40 Torx socket Bit.

oilfillercap.jpg

socketbitt40.jpg

drainplug.jpg

This is the oil drained from the engine.

drainedoil.jpg

Refit the oil drain plug using T40 Torx socket bit.

Put the funnel in the oil filler cap.

funnelinoilfiller.jpg

Take the new oil can and pour 3 liters from the can.

theoil.jpg

Check the level using dip stick. Remove the funnel and fit the oil filler cap.

Then you are done.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
    11 people like this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Great effort. Thanks for all the details.

I've created a new thread for your post, so that it becomes more visible and can help others who may want to do the same.

You should've changed the oil filter too, while you were at it.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you Gurujinder for creating a new thread. And I can not upload the photos directly. So, I posted image shack links. Thank you for taking much effort to sort the things.

Actually I planned to take video of the entire process but I tried in myself and friends are at work, so, I took photos and posted.

And regarding filter change, Actually, it is only 2000 Kms. from last oil change. I suspect the grade of oil used in tass ( oil was brought in loose can) and moreover 3.5 ltrs. was put in. So, I drained the oil and put new oil.
  4. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    Very Simple yet worth reading . Its better if we change oil ourself after 8000 km at home , engine will be happy and no need to go to mechanic.
    One query whats the tool used to unscrew , if we have to buy than what to ask at shop , do we need to lift the car eith JACK.
    1 person likes this.
  5. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Tool Name to ask in the tools shop is T40 SIZE SOCKET BIT. You will also need bit rod to drive the socket bit but I already have it my socket set. Used the same to drive the T40 socket bit. Socket bit costed me Rs.130.

Alternatively you can buy T40 allen key (also referred to as Torx allen key/ Flower allen key). To release oil drain plug with this allen key you need 7-8 ring spanner to drive the allen key. In this case there is risk of spanner slipping and damaging your fingers.

I lifted the car using the Jack provided in the tool kit.
    4 people like this.
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    pronoy_banerjee likes this.
  7. mo1

mo1 Timido

Pune
    Great Info! Thanks a lot.
    One question: Where did you apply the Jack? I mean under the left front wheel or right front wheel etc.
  8. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    Thanks MVB4U
    Its better to change oil after 8k at home , so do we need to change oil filter also .
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
  9. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Under front right wheel just as you lift the car when you need to change the front left wheel.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

sorry for the typo. Just as you need to change the front right wheel i.e. below the downward triangle under the front driver side door.

@singh as per the suggestions of fellow members it is better to change the oil filter also.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    I would like to add one suggestion from my side to DIY'ers and also when the car goes to the service centre.

The new oil filter should be soaked in oil before it is put inside. Putting in a dry filter is not good.

Here is why - The engine oil can get to other parts of the engine only after it has passed through the oil filter. A new dry oil filter will firstly soak some oil before it'll let oil pass. Those precious few seconds can deny much needed lubrication to the engine.

I know it sounds like an overkill or OCD but it's a very, very good practice.

On the older cup type oil filters in other cars, they should be filled up before installing , especially if they are not mounted sideways.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    4 people like this.