1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Change the headlight bulb

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by gp_yash, Dec 2, 2011.

1. gp_yash

gp_yash

Bangalore
    Hello Punto Gurus,

The right side Headlight bulb [Low] has gone Phut ! I tried to replace the light bulb but in vain. After removing the dust cover, I was not able to pull out the holder with the bulb. Any inputs? Manual is of no use.

A walk-through is highly appreciated :), With pictures would be most preferable :D. Thanks in advance.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    aah there you go. its a bit tricky. i changed the bulbs on my linea before my tirupati trip and you wont believe it took almost 1.5 hours to do it. i started at 11 thinking that its a piece of cake as i have been changing bulbs on my other cars regularly.

1. open the dust cover very carefully. before opening it clean it from outside so that dust doesnt enter in the duct when u remove the cap.

2. you cannot see the pins that are supposed to be removed in linea, dont know about punto.

3. unlike the traditional cars the backing pin is not slide type. its press type and delicate. it took me long time to figure out whats the mechanism.

4. feel the u shape on the pin with ur fingers which is hinged over plastic edges. press the pin with full power of fingers and slide it from one side. do the same on other side of the pin.

5. carefully pull the bulb outside by holding the holder pins. place the new bulb with same tilt and orientation. make sure no dust goes inside.

6. putting back the pin is the most tricky stuff as blindly feeling it and trying to lock it again in the plastic edges sweats you out. first lock one side of the pin in the plastic edge. then feel the second edge and try to press the pin till it gets locked.

i know by reading this its hard to understand, but i wont dare to remove my bulbs again and take a video :)

if on punto its easy go for it otherwise ask TASS guys to do it.
    Murphy_Fiat and prihir like this.
  3. gp_yash

gp_yash

Bangalore
    Thanks Italia_Linea

Thank you !

Though I got it changed with Fiat TASS when I happened to pass by their service center, I will try the above steps and see If i can change the bulbs myself. It will be always useful. And i will try to take a video and post it [If successful ::O]
    2 people like this.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Manual has some details -

To change the bulb, proceed as follows:
    • remove the snap-fitted rubber capA,as shown by the arrow;
    • press tabs B and remove the bulb holder;
    • remove the bulb C and replace it;
    • refit the bulb holder and refit the capA, check for proper locking.

Bulb DIY.jpg

Where to find "snap-fitted rubber cap"?
  5. scottzinne

scottzinne Timido

Gwalior
    Can any one plz guide me how to adjust focus manually for Linea. once i got it done by TASS. but they scrwed up. At present i can only see fruits haning on trees. or the face of truck driver.
    I want to look back to roads while driving on highway.

anyways plz suggest me how to do it.
  6. puntojith

puntojith

Hyderabad
    Hi Guys, changed my punto's headlight bulbs last week to NB+. I am new to car DIY jobs and thought would share my experience with other novices. The post here (by Ravi) actually refers to the sidelamp, I guess thats the indicator lamp (took a while for me to realize that!).

1. Removed the snap fitted rubber cap.
    2. Detached the electric connector from the bulb.
    3. Now came the toughest part- releasing the bulb holder catch.
    It took me a while to figure out how the catch holds and releases. Spent atleast 10 minutes trying to release the pin. As I was home I used a torch and a hand mirror to see how the catch holds itself (As the whole setup is pointed downwards back, its impossible to get a visual without the mirror!). I am glad I tried tinkering with it at least once within the safety of my home.
    4. Remove the bulb and replace. The bulb will stay in place only if slotted in correctly (you would have noticed that the 3 metal 'blades' on the bulb are not equidistant from each other).
    5. Put the bulb holder catch back into position.
    This could take some time depending on how well finished the hook is.
    6. Reconnect the electric connector.
    7. Snap in the rubber cap.
    8. You are ready to go. Took me a good 45 minutes and an aching lower back to finish:-x. Hope to do it faster the second time!:-D

Thanks
    Puntojith
  7. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ref. to Fig. 9.

Open the bonnet and have look at the back of headlight reflector assembly, there you find a round black rubber cap, it is the snap fitted rubber cap.

- - - Merged Post - - -

You didn't tell us how to release the bulb holder catch that is to press it or twist it or pull it.

How is the lighting with the new bulbs?
    1 person likes this.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Opened the right side one and replaced the bulb now putting the cap back is killing me .no wonder Mechanic hate fiats .this is foolish .my back is killing me
    Dr Nitin Dutta likes this.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    finally after spending a good 1.5 hrs i managed to fix both bulbs and that's when i realized that FIAT has made sure that every small thing has to be addressed by them only.
    That's not good at all.
    Unfortunately while installing the new lamp i think i pulled a wire or something like that. I now get a "check right sidelight warning" on the MID but hopefully its not something major as i've removed all the aftermarket wiring i had for the relay . Next visit to my mechanic or FASC i will get it resolved.

NOTES :: Be extremely patient especially with the left light as there is hardly any access and you will have to only go by touch and feel.
    keep a good torch as it will come in mighty handy if you want to a DIY
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Surprising that you faced a problem putting back the Rubber cap which is actually the easiest part. The Steel clip holding the bulb in it's place is the most difficult to put back in place personally for me. I just keep pressing the clip randomly at different angles for a few times until it falls in it's place.

Also since you had after market wiring, im thinking the installer would have made a small cut on the rubber cap to allow the wires thru in which case installing the caps is even more easier. Mine feel like they'll fall off, so i have some tape stuck on the caps to hold them in their place.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    Dr Nitin Dutta likes this.