1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Car Care & Detailing thread

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by VahanPujari, May 30, 2010.

1. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    Just discard those pads, once you get a rotary, you need to invest in a good baking plate and foam pads, preferably 5 inch bp and 5.5 inch pads respectively.

Sent from my Karbonn A10 using Tapatalk
  2. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore

Sent from my Karbonn A10 using Tapatalk
  3. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai

Till last month all I know about maintaining the car WAS just washing the car with a shampoo and daily dry cloth cleaning (By the watchman of our flats)
    After reading this thread, it evoked the interest to change the car to have a Glossy/shiny look. But all the time, I was wondering whether its possible to do it myself. So the initial thought was to buy local brands and try it first before buying quality brands.

I bought

• Motomax 2K Rubbing Compound
    • Waxpol Metal Polish (Cake)
    • ABRO Premium wash shampoo
    • Couple of ABRO microfiber cloths
    • XStatic microfiber
    • Paint Thinner
    • Meguiars Foam applicator pad

and started!!!

• Washed the car with ABRO shampoo
    • Dried/Wiped with microfiber cloth and a spare wiper
    From now on Panel by Panel

• Cleared remaining dirts with Paint thinner with a cotton waste (baniyan waste)
    • Rubbed spots with scratches with Motomax Rubbing Compound
    • Apply waxpol cake using Meguiars Foam Applicator Pad

Overall it took the whole day and I guess it paid off very well. I know that the finish is far from perfect
    but its way better that what it used to be.

I know I did a lot of mistakes

• Using Thinner might have damaged the clear coat
    • Motomax Running Compound have created minor scratches.

Going further I am planning to use polish/sealant during the next detailing session. I am planning to use Finish kare Hi-Temp Paste Wax 1000p. Need the experts help on:

• Will it work like a Polish and Sealant?
    • Can it hide/correct minor scratches?
    • How is the gloss in it compared with other polishes (Meg’s Ultimate Polish, Poorboys White Diamond..etc)
    • Do you need a special applicator pad? I am currently having Meguiars Foam applicator pads.
    • I am also looking for Microfibre cloth like 3M blue ones. Any pointers to get it in Chennai?

A video and pictures of the water beading / sheeting (2 weeks after rubbing/waxing).

WP_20140105_002.jpg
    WP_20140105_003.jpg
    WP_20140105_007.jpg
    WP_20140105_009.jpg

WP_20140105_004.jpg

WP_20140105_005 (1).jpg

WP_20140105_008.jpg
  4. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    avnsiva - Welcome to the dark side.:D

Well, as you already mentioned, thinner is not a wise choice at all. Please get hold of a good APC (All purpose cleaner). Meguiar's have a gallon size for about 1500. Plus point is that it can be diluted up to 1:10. You can also use it for many other purposes.

If you want to remove tar spots, APC will not work. You'll either need a dedicated tar remover like TarX. Alternatively you can use WD-40.

The Waxpol you mentioned is a metal polish? If that's the case, please reserve it for exhaust tip etc. For paint polishing you need a polish like Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or Autoglym SRP.

fk1000p as a sealant is THE perfect choice especially in our climate. It will give you a long protection.

As regards hiding scratches, nothing will hide them. If however you are talking about swirls, Meg's UP, Poorboys WD, SRp etc. will do a reasonable job of filling into them and hiding. However, for the effect to stay there, you need to top up with approx. 2 coats of fk1000p.

Meguiar's applicator pads can be used for applying wax / sealant. They are practically useless for polishes. You'll need a tri-foam applicator or MF applicators for polishing. Also, please note that polishing by hand is extremely hard work.

You can get good microfibers from Balaji who are the authorised dealers for Meguiars stuff in Chennai.
    1 person likes this.
  5. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    I read somewhere that Megs UP and FK1000p improves the gloss and shine of the surface. So can I apply fk1000p after claying and get a good gloss? is Megs UP necessary then? How is the new sonax paintwork gloss?

Can you please recommend some pads here?

I am planning to goto Balaji's place behind Olympia tech park this saturday. Can some one pls help me with what products are available there so that I can decide in advance on what to buy? Any pointers on which MF is good in Balaji?
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    your video is interesting. I never thought of waxpol as a good brand and infact stopped using their products altogether.
    Depending on various factors i believe a 1 month to 1.5 months is an ideal time between waxing so you seem to be on a good road.
    Let me try this test on my car after i wax with Eagleone and see
  7. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    avnsiva - If you want to hide swirls AND increase gloss, UP followed by fk1000p is the way to go. fk itself will give you some gloss, but applying UP beforehand will increase it by leaps and bounds.

bringingbest.in has a tri-foam applicator and so does greenzcarcare.com.

I can't help you with Balaji's since I'm not in Chennai. I saw that you are on gearheads too. There are a bunch of people there who are regular to Balaji's. They will be able to help.
  8. Linea2013

Linea2013 Timido

Trivandrum
  9. Linea2013

Linea2013 Timido

Trivandrum
    Any idea about coatings? how they differ from Sealants?
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys, beware buying from Best Auto Parts For Your Vehicle | IndianAutoStore.com guys, they seem to be lousy. Almost 2 weeks back i ordered Armor All shampoo worth 650INR. Till date, i haven't event received tracking details about the shipment. Only payment confirmation is received. I tried even emailing them. No response yet. Toll free number is useless again. Looks like these are just fake. 650 just in drain :(

Any ways, where else i can buy Armor all shampoo and tar remover online? Bringinginbest is not listing this item.

Thanks