1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Car Care & Detailing thread

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by VahanPujari, May 30, 2010.

1. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Washing the car with diesel in water could cause the removal of any wax that had been previously applied - I suspect this could be the case with kerosene too, but I do not know for sure.

AFAIK diesel & kerosene are usually used to get get rid of tar spots.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. anoop

anoop Superiore

@Ram: stay away from Thinner, Kerosine, diesel etc - they will harm your clearcoat in the long run. Moreover, since Kerosine is less dense than water, they will not mix.

PS: Among the lot, Kerosine is bette rthan the other two. But, not really worth doing it when you weigh the pros and cons.
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    That is just daft. Why would you want to do that? If you want to strip the previous LSP, use Carpro Eraser or some APC or even IPA.
  4. ramvignesh

ramvignesh Amatore

Chennai
    Vijay, Nice to see you are near Kamakshi hosp. I am also living near by that place. I also checked those priced but I didnt buy from there.
    I got the same F1 carnauba wax (big one) from GP road for 300Rs.
    I am yet to buy a leather cleaner. Are you satisfied with the F1 leather wax?

- - - Merged Post - - -

@Arkin - Yes, but diesel would leave the car oily more than kerosene. And this idea was given for removing the tar spots. These spots are are coming frequently and tough to go.
    @Anoop - Thank you :) I would stay away as it harms the clear coat/paint. But these black spots are getting deposited frequently and are tougher to go with a car wash. Even if it does, it wipes of with greasy lines on my BNW. Is there any means we could remove these without harming the paint?
    @Relativity - Ty :) but I coudnt get what is LSP, APC, IPA..
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

@RAM: If you get tar spots very frequent, i would suggest you invest in a good tar spot cleaner - I am not sure if it is avilable locally. If you need to clean the tar spots once in a while (once in 3 to 6 months), use a clay bar.
    As a much safer alternative to Kerosine, try using some good shampoo. Wet the spot liberelly and leave it for some time, and then try cleaning it. I am not sure it will work, but worth giving a try.
  6. ramvignesh

ramvignesh Amatore

Chennai
    Thank you Anoop, I will look for tar spot cleaner / learn to use clay bar. Few spots gets away using car wash while many doesnt.
  7. Prash1407

Prash1407 Amatore

Bangalore
    An auto brushed on the left bumper and some marks have developed on the bumper. I immediately cleaned them but only some disappeared. How do I clean the other marks? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  8. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Buffing some polish or wax on the affected area after the next wash could help.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Recently I bought a chamois cloth when I was in reliance auto zone.
    But today when I was washing the car I had no clue how to use it..
    Anyone here has used i
  10. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

My S10 after some TLC

8ObwuET.jpg
    14 people like this.