1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Car Care & Detailing thread

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by VahanPujari, May 30, 2010.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

They are clearcoated. Got them sanded and removed before I painted the alloys.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

that's awesome, please share some pictures and details. I was planning to change my stock alloys as I want them to have that steel/chrome look just like the door handles. Your post makes me think I can accomplish that without changing the alloys.
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  4. Prash1407

Prash1407 Amatore

Anoop and team,
    This has been an excellent thread and loved reading it. Just purchased some accessories as mentioned. I would suggest guys planning to buy a Jopasu duster to Reliance Autozone wherein this retails at Rs 350 but thru' ebay I had to shell out Rs 500 :sad1:sad1
  5. ramvignesh

ramvignesh Amatore

I have bought BNW linea mjd emotion 20 days back. I am curious to buy car care stuffs.
    I have bought Formula 1 Glass cleaner - Formula 1 High-Performance Auto Care Products
    and Formula 1 carnauba paste wax - Formula 1 High-Performance Auto Care Products
    300Rs each in GP Road, Chennai...
    I already have amway polish (silcone glaze)
    I am planning to buy Amway car wash and Jopasu duster.
    Are these things good ones? Also please suggest which one to buy for interiors - leather seats, plastics, dashboard. The plastics are getting dirt very easily.
    And I am planning to buy a high pressure washer though it sounds costly. Please suggest which is the best one. I find many products in bosch ranging from 5.5k to 10k. (or) a local motor pump with proper hose will do the work more efficiently?
    Today it took me almost 4 hours for car washing (amway 1car wash small pack) and waxing (formula1). After all the hard work, I feel the shine and smoothness is not upto the mark. Feeling bit demoralized in seeing minor scratches and sticky lines. I did use 3 different soft cotton clothes, 2 different bucket.
    And I feel formula1 glass cleaner is useless. After applying, the glass is not clear. It just removes the dirt. The dried up water marks are still present and the glass appears oily. The wipers also seems to swing tough even though plenty of water is applied. Please advice.
    Here is the pic after all the work DSC01577.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Ramvignesh, for the interior leather bits, use Meguiars Gold Class. Am not sure of the product's name but it is good. It is a black bottle and is available at all 3M outlets.

Sent from my Cynus T2 using Tapatalk 2
  7. ramvignesh

ramvignesh Amatore

Thank you dude :)
  8. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Using a chamois, after rinsing, would help - it would absorb any excess water from the windows, and water marks on your white care. And using car shampoo would be enough - I haven't found the need for a glass cleaner - on rare occasions I do use Colins though.
    And do check the insides of the windows, in case you still feel the windows are hazy/oily.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  9. anoop

anoop Superiore

@ramvignesh: Do not loose heart - the way to the perfect looking car is not easy :)

having seaid that, having the right products and using the right technique sur esaves time and effort. Do take some time to read last few pages - there are lot of product recomendatations and techniques in those pages.
  10. ramvignesh

ramvignesh Amatore

Thank you Anoop and Arkin :)
    Actually I read your detailed way of detailing :) It was really helpful. I was about to use the Amway polish, After reading I understood the difference of polishing and waxing.
    My friend suggested me to use kerosene with water (some 40ml in 1Lt water) to wash the car before soap wash. Will that be safe?