1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Car Care & Detailing thread

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by VahanPujari, May 30, 2010.

1. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

2. singh

singh Amatore

Just gave a reading to thread , undoubtedly tons of info here .
    As per my experience with santro xing Silver colour it was 5 yrs old before we sold , I never ever waxed, polished the paint , just polished dashboard with 90rs Pidilite Wax , Shine was perfect , not like showroom but many times better than any 5 yrs old car.
    I regularly washed it , my car usually stay 5 hrs in SUN.
    so my concern is
    1. Is paint life different for all Manufacturers , or all are same and need same care.
    2. After we WAX , and than we wash with shampoo like after a week than Do wax coating remain ?
    3. Any easy application or procedure to keep car paint shining , apart from 4-5 hrs job of waxing , preparing etc
    4. Teflon Coating is for what ? any role in paint protection
    5. Is there any Reported Case of DASHBOARD COLOUR FADE with Punto

Both santro and swift never had issue with dashboard fading , our neighbour's Lancer dashboard turned grey from Black .
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

My reluctance not to use rubbing compound was right. I used it on a few white paint drops on my Linea which came free from Fortune during last service:(. As expected rubbing compound reduced the paint gloss on those small 1 cm radius spots I used it on. Today I applied turtle wax. It reduced the effects but still there is a slight difference in shine. I think it will go away in a few days. There are still many tiny such dots where I did not use it. They are barely visible only from a distance of 1 foot. So, leaving it at that for now.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Guys, my second free service is scheduled somewhere in the latter part of April. Now, that the dealership car wash is a major source of swirls, is it advisable to go for a detailing beforehand. To be specific, would a layer of Collinite 845 prevent some of the minor swirls that might be induced during the service?

5. sungoa2010

Wax won't cover any swirl marks. You need to polish it.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Do we have any shampoo or cleaning material to clean the fabric (OEM) seats. My cars seats are getting dirty. Please let me know.
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

@Amit the rubbing compound which comes along with com paint is very harsh on the paint. Yes it does remove the clear coat & paint. You better be purchasing any branded scratch remover or some other mild rubbing compound. I am using Formula 1 liquid rubbing compound & it is very very mild. It has given me excellent results & no damage to the paint or shine. I was able to remove tar & some other stain with this.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Amatore

I have ordered Collinite 915 wax and Mothers Clay yesterday, from www.carpolish.in

Guess Auto Mall has reduced the prices for the above i.e Rs 1368 and Rs 798 respectively!::T

Do check their link Auto Mall

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  10. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

I purchased ONR from them and plan to buy Mother's Glass Cleaner and Collinite 845.