1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Car Care & Detailing thread

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by VahanPujari, May 30, 2010.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I usually put in a few drops of Colin spray (usual household glass cleaner liquid) in windshield fluid reservoir alongwith normal water. You can also put in a few drops of mild hair shampoo !
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    I just hope that continuous movement of wiper doesnt start producing foam :p
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    ;):D
    (That's why the word "mild" was used):p

On a serious note, it's quite effective, if you do not have Colin or any other specific fluid at you disposal readily available. Just a few drops.
  4. anoop

anoop Superiore

@relativity - you can use collin or any mild shampoo, or you can buy the maruthi windscreen wash concentrate - have heard it is easily available in local shops and costs next to nothing.
  5. ganesh.g1982

ganesh.g1982 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I bought today Jopasu car duster Rs.550, Sonax Shampoo Rs.285, Sonax 40x40 MF 1Qty for 179, Another 2 MF costing 149 each. Also bought Formula 1 Carnauba Wax (small 316 rs). my plan was to purcahse Mother Fx wax from online..is there issue in usign Formula 1 Carnauba Wax, i mean for the paint. I also see sponge type pad inside the box, can i use to appyl the wax or an MF to be used?

Please also suggest a polish I can use, as i mentioned ealrier my car is just 8 months old. Also i notice in the description in the Formula 1 Carnauba wax Box, it is written as "Exclusive micropolishing agents remove scratches...." . Does that mean, it cuts paint?

I will take some snaps on friday morning and will share it.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    If it remove scratch means it will remove some paints(micro layers). My advice will be to use normal wax without polishing agents.
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Ganesh any scratch remover will surely remove micro layer of paint/clear coat. What you can do is use the formula 1 wax once in a year or once in 6 month to remove small contaminants in the paint & apply a coat of normal wax over it. Mothers FX Synthetic wax is a very good product & I guess it would last more than the formula 1 carnuaba wax. There is nothing wrong in applying two different brands / type of wax apart from the extra pain you need to take in buffing both. No need to purchase an extra polish as this Formula 1 itself would do the job.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  8. gopscreative

gopscreative Amatore

Chicago
    Guys does anyone use these sprayers which pump out car shampoo like foam on the body. I have seen one in 3M, but thats operated by a electric motor. Any details ohn these kind of equipments?
  9. ganesh.g1982

ganesh.g1982 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I will use Formula 1 wax as i have not done any detailing since I bought the car. I hope the swirl marks will be hidden after that. I dont have have Mothers FX now with me to apply after the Formula 1 wax. Do i need to hold the job till i get Mothers Fx? I will buy Mothers FX or Collinite 845 for further Wax jobs. Defintely looking for ONR. I beleive ONR, Mothers fX and Collinite 845 are available only through online stores. Any suggestion for online store when i can buy in?

For polishing, what are the receommnded products? Also having a doubt, while doing wax or polish, do we need to apply pressure lightly or heavility?
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Ganesh I cant guarantee that this will hide the swirl marks. But yes very macro swirls & scratches will be hidden. Even regular polishes may not be able to remove the swirls completely . There are dedicated products for swirl removal. As of now no need to shed your hard earned money in all these products. You can buy as & when it is really required. Regarding online stores I shall PM you the details. Please stay away from polishing as it is normally done on car's paint which are really dull or has lost its charm. Yours is still a new baby & waxing is more than enough. Again for the pressure part it purely depends on product by product. The pure carnuaba waxes requires much pressure for buffing where as synthetic wax requires very less pressure & effort. I shall PM some websites as well which you can refer for gaining a good knowledge on car detailing.

Note:- Car detailing is a real addiction & you will find amazing products in the market which may really tempt you. Think twice before purchasing a product & see if it is really necessary for you. Addiction in any sort is a damage to your pocket.:drinks
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012