1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY - Boot Organizer

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Aug 1, 2016.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

I was tired of carrying stuff around in a card board carton in the boot. I usually carry engine oil, coolant, distilled water, air pump, puncture repair kit, wrenches and other assorted tools. Not to mention couple of MF towels and cleaning sprays. Problem with the carton was everything will be mixed up and I will have to rummage through the whole lot to get anything.

The other day, when I tried to lift the carton out, the bottom gave way and the contents lay scattered on the ground. That was it. I was getting a boot organizer. So the search began. There were a few options available locally, but looked very flimsy. I expanded the search to China / US and UK. Some nice options were available, but were expensive. One common issue I saw was - all of them had fixed compartments. That meant if I had to carry something larger, it wouldn't fit. If I needed to carry something smaller, but want it to stay upright - a bottle of water with a loose lid, for example - I would have to provide packaging to take up the empty space.

How I wish they had flexible compartments. As a kid I had learnt to operate a sewing machine from my mother. So I decided to build a boot organizer myself.

Requirements -

1. Must be sturdy
    2. Must be spill resistant - Should an oil can leak, the bag must not be soaked in oil
    3. Flexible compartments, of course
    4. Collapsible, in case I want to stow it away to accommodate large pieces of luggage
    5. Reasonably good looking

I chose to use rubberized canvas for the outer and rip stop nylon (the material umbrellas are made with) for inner lining. Polyester webbing for the edges and handles, lot of Velcro, metal rivets and snap fasteners completed the shopping list.

The end result was a multi-purpose bag, which could be used for a family picnic, grocery shopping or just carrying car goodies around.

Will let the pictures do the talking now
    P1000740.JPG P1000741.JPG P1000742.JPG P1000743.JPG P1000744.JPG P1000725.jpg P1000726.jpg P1000727.jpg P1000728.jpg P1000729.jpg P1000730.jpg

Once I made the first bag, I was very pleased and decided to make a few more. Nothing will get hurt if I carry another empty bag around. Then my wife suggested that I should start making these bags commercially. So made a few more and gave to close friends for use and feedback. Hopefully will launch commercially in the near future.

If the moderators permit, I will share details when I am ready to sell.

Thanks for reading
    ramjn, gautham, pdash and 21 others like this.
  2. Jagadeesh Gowda

Jagadeesh Gowda Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    Rajan Sir , you are such an inspiration for DIY tasks. I have seen post in FB , Bag looks neatly designed and fantastic.
  3. limraj

limraj Superiore

Linea 1.3
    Please launch it. I badly need one like this for the very big boot.
  4. KPR

KPR Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @PatchyBoy that's a nice inspiring DIY. It is useful not just for a car but also for various household acquisitions!
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Great DIY.

TFI is not an online platform for eCommerce and any such eCommerce activity on the forum is not permitted. In case anyone come across others doing it, kindly bring it to the mod's notice.
    kedarbendre and PatchyBoy like this.
  6. Pervindra

Pervindra Timido

Linea 1.3
    Anything beneficial to team members which is being developed by a team member should be allowed in my opinion. There should be few exceptions to this rule I hope. This is just my opinion, not blaming/praising anyone.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Sure Ravi. Will not post any link to buy this product or promote it here. Will find suitable alternate avenues. Thanks
    PradeepM and kedarbendre like this.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @PatchyBoy this is amazing. The boot organizer is amazing.

The One I had (bought it from UK for Punto.) is no close to this one.
  9. Sachin patel

Sachin patel Amatore

Punto Evo 1.3
    You made simple but great thing. Best of luck for future.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
  10. ravikn

ravikn Timido

Patchyboy, congratulations for coming out with a nice product. Do let us know once it's commercially ready

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
    mchanna likes this.