1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY: Blower treatment for your car

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Folks,

My friend Shasi's Santro had a sluggish performance, car's engine noise was little high, when I test drove the car, I felt like some thing is choking the exhaust.
    Since he was ready with new airfiler,we tried some thing interesting.

Like in our MJD turbo, we force fed air into air intake hose using a 1500Watt blower (vacuum)cleaner, when the RPM was at idling, I could sense air just filling the air intake hose and rushing out, once we raised the RPM to 3-4K, it sucked in most of the air a blower could through at it and was very little air coming out of air intake hose.

So the blower was supplying more air than required,my friend noticed water droplets in exhaust, initially there was some black smoke from petrol car!!
    May be the gradual carbon build up of six years.

What was the use of doing this?

Wow!Car's engine noise became much less noticeably, a day long run by friend confirmed car was more happy to pickup revs easily compared to condition before the exercise.
    Low end torque came down a bit but car didn't seems like it need of lot of torque to move, we could drive the car more in 3-4th gears as compared 2-3 earlier.
    we checked the air filer for any damage,but there was none, so my friend decided to continue with his old air-filter itself.

Now I planning to try it out on my MJD to see if this clears the soot build up due to city driving.
  2. Tron

Tron Superiore

@Sat-Chit-ananda, don't you feel its bit dangerous as lot many sensers are their in our MJD?? & what if little amount of dust went in while practicing that? Although that soot theory of yours is pretty much appealing.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

this may prove very dangerous to any car, be it petrol or diesel. this technique is widely used for tata indica/ tavera etc. but they remove the air intake manifold and then wash it with pressurised water and then dry it. similarly exhaust is disconnected near the engine end and then high pressure air is pumped through it. this removes the soot.

if you force air through the throttle body it may dislodge carbon and pump it over the sensors. in petrol cars the intake manifold also has sticky carbon resulted out of blowback gases from crankcase which if blown with pressure enter the cylinder head and fill carbon over valves and other areas which is not desirable.

i would say that if you want to DIY the blower method, do it separately in exhaust and the intake manifold removed( bit tough on mjd).
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Firstly, no pun intended, but i'm really confused as to how this experiment would contribute to anything.

The black smoke is probably a too rich fuel mixture condition. The ECU overcompensated for the incoming air and resulted in that black smoke. Petrol cars when running filthy rich do emit black smoke, although not like a diesel.

The only way you're gonna clear some soot build up from the turbo's turbines,catalytic converter, exhaust valves etc is by thrashing the hell out of the engine for an extended period. E.g. Running the car with the revs staying above 2300-2400+. You gotta burn that soot this way, can't dislodge it. No other way!

5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Italian tune up :)
  6. Tron,
    A turbo spinning at 120000 RPM pulls similar amount of air it doesn't damage the sensor.but in NA petrol this experiment made the car to clear up the soot build up and it was evident in it's run, and since I was holding the blower Nozzle at the intake it did not had any thrust to damage the air filter.

We did this for about max 2-3 minutes only

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

I have a doubt Turbo Diesel car running at a speed of 120 Kmph may be in 4th gear(where the gear ration with engine is closer 1:1) will have turbo running at over lakh RPM, it will pull lot more air than a vacuum cleaner/blower running at some 18-20000 RPM .
    We will need to really know the CFM to know whether it can damage or not,but in my friends case car was really sluggish and he had tried everything and we were suspecting catcon instead of removing catcon we tried this and it worked.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Myfriend drove the car to my place for about 5-6kms, engine was already hot, and were were trying this on car in nutral so all the cooling stuff are off, as they are designed to work only when the car is running like intercoler for example.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011