1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY -- Automated Cabin FootLight

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Viny, May 7, 2011.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    In that case Neon's would be a better option than LEDs. The looks will be amazing..Good luck buddy ..
  2. Stallion

Stallion

Pune
    hey Viny...... you come up with cool ideas man...would love to see that....
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Neons would not dim out, its not about making things fancy, its about making it look sober and presentable :) How audi with daylight strip makes it presentable and not bling bling stuff :D

its still in thought processing, will have to gather stuffs before i could go for this, planning to use accelorometer switch for this.
  4. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Ohkkk.. got your point.. Is it gonna be the birth of a new Dilip Chhabria (DC).. ;)?? We all are supporting you Viny..Keep going..::T
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Mee tooo

It was my turn today to get automated cabin foot light. :p

Earlier this week I went to the local electronic bazaar at Thakaraparambu and shopped around for LED strips. Settled for "Warm White" non water proof LED strip. Would have preferred waterproof ones, but they weren't available in any of the preferred colours - amber, yellow or white. The strip was costing Rs.200/m. Got myself 1m of it.
    DIY-AFL_0001.jpg

Based on my experience with Cinju's car, I got a few connectors as well. Cost Rs.4/set
    DIY-AFL_0002.jpg

Cut 40cm out of the LED strip and pasted in onto my daughter's computer table and hooked it up to computer SMPS - so when computer is on, there is ample light over the keyboard and the tabletop.
    Cut the remaining piece into two strips of 30cm each, soldered the connectors to one end of it and tested for connectivity.
    DIY-AFL_0003.jpg
    DIY-AFL_0004.jpg

After ensuring that the connections are fine, I went about routing the cable through the car. That took a little more time as I was working alone, but still managed without much difficulty. I used an old two wheeler brake cable to help me with routing.
    DIY-AFL_0005.jpg

After that it was just a matter of joining the wires in the connector to the routed cable, pasting the strip at the desired position and pressing the connectors on to the strip. Now went back to re-connecting the battery negative terminal, close the doors and open.. and success!
    DIY-AFL_0006.jpg
    DIY-AFL_0007.jpg

Many many thanks to Viny and Cinju, with out them I wouldn't even have thought about this DIY
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Roy..That looks bright ...Would surely come to see the fixing this week itself. By the by I liked your idea of fixing it on the computer table :) So when do we do that ???
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Yes it is bright and almost indistinguishable from the light thrown by overhead lamp. My wife didn't even realize there was a light underneath :p until I told her.
    You can put it on the computer table if it has board over the monitor or if the monitor is under a cabinet or shelf that is low enough over it so that the LED is not too high.
  8. Rizzou

Rizzou

Hyderabad
    royj^^ i always liked the idea of internal lightings, and you have some awesome DIY job done there. Do the lights dim as the cabin light does..?? should be great if does will give a nice grand look, I have changed the Cabin lights to White LED's looks awesome, possibly will get the lower light work done also. Just ma Car accessories guy said requires wire to be cut that will void Warranty. Will figure it out.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Rizzou, The LED's dim out and on just like cabin lights. As you can see above, I did not cut any wires and can remove the entire setup within 10 mins and get it back on in 30-40 mins if required.
  10. Rizzou

Rizzou

Hyderabad
    Nice, from where did you connect those wires, can you show a zoomed out image. I cannot figure where the cables are connected.