1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY -- Automated Cabin FootLight

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Viny, May 7, 2011.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I think in chennai you should be able to get it as there are soooo many shops around. Else ebay is always an option and you can get it from the same link which Viny has posted. (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkpar...&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1)
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Better Late Than Never.. (Blue LED Installation)
    Last Saturday with a full fledged moral & physical support by our fellow TFIAN RoyJ, I was able to finish the Automated Cabin foot light in my GP MJD. I really must thank Royj for his support especially on the physical side as with my 6 feet height and lazy bum;) I found it very difficult to bend over and find the most appropriate place for fixing up the strip which Roy did with ease..::T . We took more time than expected as we got slightly dragged in areas where we thought it might be easy. We had to find a string to pull the wire from cabin light towards the A pillar. The wire wasn't coming out as such. Next thing was we just striped a portion of the wire(didn't want to cut the wire) and joined one LED strip and the same wire continued till the driver side . Next thing was to find a proper place for fixing the strip on the driver's side. Here our constraints was I may pull the fuse cover now & then for putting the OBD scanner. So I can't fix the strip attaching it to the back of fuse cover. So our next option was to put it on to the side just above the clutch pedal (the pic might give u a good idea). So after fixing the strips, it was time for the 1st trial run...The battery negative terminal was reconnected, cabin light switch wass put to ON position and voila ...it didn't work..:sadblue ..We have to close the door once and reopen it to work. The driver side light was working fine, but the passenger side wasn't working. Now again we had a tough time as we had taped out the joints with insulation tape. Learned a lot from mistakes and finally with a reconnecting of the passenger side LED strip, we were able to make it working. Roy will be able to do it easily in 45 mins.

Even though blue light seems to be looking cool ,I personally have some suggestions which came to my mind after fixing this. It is always better to go for the amber one as it maintains uniformity. The 2nd is if you wanted to go for blue, check the number of LED's per strip.The more the better light you will be getting. Mine is 12 LED per strip. But in daylight you hardly notice that LED is glowing and at night the light coming from the cabin light is so bright that the beauty of blue light is missing. If the LED strip had more LEDs it would have been much better.

My sincere thanks to Viny who has brought this wonderful idea and RoyJ who gave me both moral & physical support.:car

LED STRIP (Water proof model)
    21052011367.jpg

Passenger Side
    21052011369.jpg

Driver Side
    21052011368.jpg

21052011365.jpg
  3. @ Viny - One question
    Step 9 - I can see the screw on you photo. Couldn't see or understand where that is...
    Can you help?
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Thanks Cinju for allowing me to learn on your car ;)
    Jokes apart, it was a good experience, felt the satisfaction of having done something after a long time.

The blue lights do look cool and would have been great if it were a little more brighter.
    How about connecting the other pair you have along with this?
    I read somewhere that these consume approximately 4.8W per 100cm. If so at 12V then 1m of it would load the circuit by 0.4A.
    Since each strip you have is approximately 20cm (?) there should be no worry of overloading the circuit.
    Viny, I would appreciate your opinion on this.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Cinju you finally did it, eh.

Gud to see fellow TFI'ans helping each other out.

Gurjinder,
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Sure..will do a study on this and check out if it is possible. Mine is 30 cm as per the specs I ordered.

Yes Guru..that's the best thing I love about TFI. It has got so many open minded people who are ready to help you at any point of time . This is the 1st forum /blog I have joined so far (Tried with BHP initially, but rejected..) and has been active and now I have become sort of you know addicted to this.. I am learning new things each day.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    @Cinju: Congrats, Installation is easy, reaching a pillar was not that hard. Anyway you found the way to do it, so next time you can give one more suggestion to fellow TFIan :)

Look at foot level, you would find that screw on left hand side, just below the dashboard trim. Say 1ft above the floor on left hand side body panel. This is junction, many electric wires pass through this region.
  8. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    So Viny...shall we start our next adventure .. dancing light & fog ?? :) Viny can you please comment on Royj's query as well..
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    So Viny...shall we start our next adventure .. dancing light & fog ?? ;) Viny can you please comment on Royj's query as well..
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  10. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Cinju: Next version is putting underbody light :D, Light glows as soon as your stop the car, and as you race ahead it slowly dims off. Could add some bright flash etc....Working on some ideas lets see

Hey Royj: I would look into the details and get back to you.