1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY -- Automated Cabin FootLight

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Viny, May 7, 2011.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

@ pronoy_banerjee Good going, clean install, enjoy :)
    Keep sharing experince and helping others :)
    1 person likes this.
  2. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Thanks, I have made a few changes to the wiring and also used couplers, I will post the pictures by tomorrow.
  3. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

So after the phase 1 of installation, it was time for phase 2 as it was my week-off.
    Channa, Tinesh, Rakesh, mahesh and Kedar were supposed to join me. Rakesh and Kedar could not join us in the morning due to office commitments, and Mahesh's was was with FASS for fixing some coolant issue.

I got up at around 11:30 am owning to the late night party the day before. Called up Channa; he was about 15 mins away from my place. Freshened up by the time Channa and Tinesh arrived. They had skipped the first half of work and we were expecting the work to be over by 3:30
    by the time, we got done with tea it was 12:30 already.
    we quickly went to the nearby electrical shop and got the things required. as he did not have the waterproof LED's in stock he asked us to wait until 3 PM, which we not ready to do, so we settled for non-waterproof ones. as none of us were very good with soldering, we got it done from the same shop.

We returned at 1:30. Time was running out, so we got to work straight away.

Things to do:
    1. Install LED's for front and rear footwell for Channa's T-Jet and Tinesh's Punto 1.3
    2. Install LED's for rear footwell for my Punto 1.3

Circuit diagram, kindly excuse the poorly drawn diagram in ms paint.

we started with the T-Jet.

disconnected the battery

The connection was taken from the center cabin light in such a way that, only when the passenger side light is turned on, all the LED's would glow, and also when the doors are open, simply put, piggybacking the passenger side light in the cabin light.

The routing was done through A pillar. Linea has a lot of cushioning as compared to the Punto, so the routing took a little bit of time.

We used these couplers for easy installation, so if you want to change the LED strip / add more LED's, it can be done without any issue.

We routed the wire from behind the center console. Punto has a lot of space, however Linea is a bit crammed in there.

Our life line for the day

Rakesh's TW Punto parked inside.

once the cables were routed and the LED were connected, we moved on to the Punto at around 3:30pm, as Channa and Tinesh had already seen and worked on how the wires were routed in the Linea, the wiring in the Punto was over before we knew. It was clear that we need more time, so Tinesh and Channa missed their office.

At around 5 Tinesh and Channa were working on connecting the LED's and sticking it, when Kedar came in.
    After around 15 mins, Rakesh came in from office. Me and Kedar headed to collect some snacks as we all were very hungry.
    By the time we got back, Rakesh's wife had already set up tea, popcorn, roasted moong dal, and besan ke laddu. so we all were like -> :dance:dancing

After the much required break and pet pooja, we started our work of fixing the LED's.

The passenger seat in the 2011 cars and 2012 car was different, and so we had to figure out the correct approach.
    Thanks to Channa for going in head-first under the seats and figuring out the correct placement.
    Kedar had to go for a night trek at Rajmachi so he left.
    The rest of us finished up the work on the cars by 8:30.
    The outcome was great.

Now it was photo-time. we parked our cars in the back road of my society with very little light.

If beauty could kill, we'd be dead by now. ;)
    Sit back and enjoy the show.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  4. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Clap clap clap
    Amazing DIY very very happy and we lived a day.
    We forgot hunger, hectic schedule, meetings everything
    By the time we left pronoys place it was 10:30pm
    Thanks pronoy da!!!
    3 people like this.
  5. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Excellent !!!. This is one major problem of Punto/Linea having of no lights at the rear you have solved :up. Any more cars you are taking up :).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Wow, fantabulous. Amazing DIY. The cabin is so lively now. Damn neat work and executions. Hats off to you Pronoy.

Tip - Never remove negative terminal. Always remove positive terminal on the battery.
    3 people like this.
  7. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Next week, shashank, rakesh, gautam, and Mahesh will be doing the same.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

I have always read and believed, that one needs to remove the negative terminal. I always remove both - negative first and positive next. Fitting back in the reverse order.

Correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

2 people like this.
  9. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Thank Amit. :)
    It was not just my work, Channa and Tinesh worked equally hard.

and yes I got your point of disconnecting the +ve terminal. will keep that in mind :up
    2 people like this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Please do not do that. Read this article first.

Disconnect negative terminal first, positive next. Reconnect positive first and negative next. For minor work, disconnecting negative is sufficient.

4 people like this.