1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY -- Automated Cabin FootLight

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Viny, May 7, 2011.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

Thanks for all your appreciations.
    I am glad to be part of community.

Before I go ahead and give the steps for DIY.
    Let me give the disclaimer first.

I am not responsible for any thing you do to your car, and can not be held liable for any damage you may do by reading this forum and applying it to your car.

User is presumed to have a fair level of mechanical or auto electrical skill in doing any DIY. I shall not in any way be held responsible for any damage resulting from user’s fault or failure to follow the suggested steps proposed by the author. It’s the user’s responsibility to research thoroughly on the project and validate the DIY.

All information posted in this section is provided "as is" without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to fitness for a particular use. Any user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this information.

Having made my ground safe, now lets move ahead :d

This DIY need extreme care and watch fullness, one silly mistake could lead blow out.

Given that we have a great cabin light working already, there where two methods to move ahead

1. Technical way - Connect to CAN, and respond accordingly
    2. Piggy Bagging the existing system with jugad.

I am not smart to go by way 1. Being native jugaad bhudhi, I knew if cabin lights could glow off and go dim, so would any light. Provided I reach the positive and negatives of the cabin light bulb. Well logic was smart as well as jugadu. But process was not so simple. So here we go about it

Disconnect your battery negative connector. Ensure no power is running.

1. First step starts rights from the source for our lighting system. That is cabin light

2. Unplug the cabin light by slowly pushing a small screw driver on sides, its a simple clip based lock and can be easily pulled out. Be carefull, bulbs could be hot and touch the lower plastic body only.

3. Once pulled out you will see something like this, missing the white wire (Thats my DIY connector). Dont touch the metal body, they are like live wires.

4. Carefully pull up the white cover. Dont touch the metal circuit.

5. Connect your wire to bulb connectors as seen in here in terms of red wire and black wire coming out of white wire. (Here white wire is the wire that I am using to connect LED strip on other end.) That all is required to do be done correctly.

6. Push the other end of your wire into the hood panel. (See white wire going inside). You can pull wire ahead by pulling down the edge on near windscreen and pass the wire through it till the corner of a pillar.

7. Pull out the rubber beading of door and you would see a gap between the body and the plastic panel. Your wire has to travel through this to reach the ground.

8. See how the white wire is going down the body. Pull you cable similary

9. On reaching bottom, you could push it behind the bottom plastic panel. unlock the screw and push the wire behind. note the white wire in picture

10. Once you have reached at the bottom you can connect your LED strip and stick it under the dashboard.

11. Once you are done with wiring. Recheck your connection to ensure its properly connected to cabin light panel and no short circuit is been done anywhere. Lock back the while cover and push back the panel inside.

12. Pray to god and connect back your battery negative terminal to resume powersupply. hoping that you have not messed any wire connections.

13. Switch on the cabin light switch, if you have done things right way you should see the led glowing up

If it glows hurray !!! if it doesnt, again check disconnect the battery connection. And reopen the panel and verify the connections. Nothing else to go wrong other than that.

And if you blow up something, you know you have done the mistake and not me, as for me its working fine :)

And for others who are interested in lights in rear, wire has already came down, now its your wish where you want to take it further :D

I hope you liked this, Enjoy
    Ravi, nitinkumardba, funkykar and 3 others like this.
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Nice work and details are upto the mark, your disclaimer is good as well ;) although i want to try it myself, im not quite ready yet for the changes.
  3. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    As expected , this is a very detailed and excellent write-up ..
    Now , bombarding you with some questions --

1. How did u connect the wire to the bulb-connectors ?
    2. Length of wire required ? Any specific grade etc ?
    3. LED length , ratings etc ..

Also , the total cost of project .. Will the MID show up any warning lights ?
  4. Viny

Viny Esperto

There could be several ways to connect the wire to bulb connector, based on individuals expertise and methods. Me being jugad guy, i pulled out the bulbs, there was a hole in the bulb connector. So passed copper through it making a tight loop and then placed back the bulb. This ensured the gripped connection. Alternately One can use soldering, or clip pins etc etc.

Already specified in opening post, I took a normal cable with two wires (red, black) of length 3M, its more than sufficient to reach upto central console in dashboard.

Again already mentioned in first post, i used a 24 Led Strip, available in abundance at local store or ebay. It operates at 12V

Total Cost of DIY

2pc of 24Led strip - 1.5$*2 = $3 = 3x45= 135Rs
    3mtr cable -> 5rs pm -> 3x5 = 15 Rs.

Total cost = Rs 150 :)

And no warning lights on MID, I am not sure why you asked?
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  5. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    viny great job. though linea gives ample lights (unlike the city), this addition is great. and you need good knowledge for jugad also which you have.
  6. Tron

Tron Superiore

@viny ,really great work & excellent write-up! im really impressed!! I'll think to do same thing in ma linea. Things you did gives me some more ideas lets see if those works out or not & then i'll let you know.
  7. prihir

prihir Amatore

Done in Punto EP. Details follow by next post. :dance

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Viny, I must say you have become a very professional installer now :)
  9. Gmittal

Gmittal Amatore

Gr8 Job Viny. very well explained.
  10. Wow! Great Job & an excellent write-Up. Let me see how & when to try this!!