1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY -- Automated Cabin FootLight

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Viny, May 7, 2011.

1. Here comes my story
    I did get a chance to sit in ramjin's car on one of the PUG meets.I noticed that he had done the automated foot lights.I quite liked it.I asked him the details and he said it was done jointly by him and rs3sekar.i was like wat?,sekar sir?I came back home and called rs3sekar at once and enquired.He readily agreed that we can do it in my car on one of the weekends.Sunday came,i went to his house.BTW his place is some 4 streets away from my place in Porur.Off i went and after a small chat we started the work.First up I had to install 100/90 Bulbs with relay in his car.It was an easy task except the bulb on the passenger side was very hard to remove.Then around 11.30AM we started with the foot light work in my car.We had taken the line from the roof.By then it was 1 o clock.So i came home for lunch and rushed back for the soldering work as we have a power shutdown here from 3 to 4PM.We were doing the last joint and tada,the power went.But we patiently did the whole thing and i was back home by 5PM.Then there was a small problem with the passenger side footwell.So i touched the joint,there was smoke coming and the joints went short.I removed everything and kept it.Then on Monday went and got all the wires soldered properly.I dint want to tell this to sekar sir.I felt bad to tell him that i screwed things.Then today in the daylight,I did all the connections properly and finally!it is working.

I had white LED for my cabin lamp,but after seeing ramjin and sekar's car i decided to go back to the yellow bulb.sekar sir was kind enough to lend me some amber LED for both the sides.What a generous person I shud say.He had sourced these LEDs from Delhi and he is planning to do it in the rear too.Inspite of all these factors he gave me those LEDs for free.Its working perfect now.Thanks to the guru Viny for starting this thread.
    Thanks alot sekar sir.:)

pics coming soon.probably by next morning.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. FiatJay

I too saw this during last meet and wants to fix this in my Punto. Any shop nearby Tambaram Area.. Please guide me..
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Jay - contact Ramesh agencies. He will do it free of cost in lieu of T-Jet engine currently.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Cabin foot light consulting in lieu of T-Jet engine? Sweet deal. :)

teky, are you referring me?
  5. I used to live in East Tambaram but don'y know any garage there. It is really a DIY - Do give it a try :)
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    You should be able to get the LED's from Mercy Electronics in Tambaram. Get the lights and I can help you with the wiring this weekend :).
  7. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Myself, r3shekar, Vigneshram and srida teamed up last weekend and installed it to mycar and srida's. Thanks for your support guys.

8. Subsequent to my previous installtion of the LED strips and clarification regarding how the 2 switches operate, I wanted the footlights to behave exactly as the cabin lamps. Many Thanks to Gopi (pemmasg), who came with a multimeter (hadn't used one before) and confirmed how the circuit was organized

The image below shows the cabin lamp as it is inside the car.

The bottom right (driver side) is a +ve terminal and the top is a -ve one. It is flipped on the passenger side (Top is +ve & bottom is -ve). Initially, when we (self & Ramjn) took a pair of wires on bottom, we were connecting to one +ve & one -ve without knowing the polarity! Ramjn - Correct me if I'm wrong... Gopi suggested that we can have 2 wires (one on either door) and that way we can have the footlight as an extension of the cabin lamp. After some testing, we were satisfied and so pulled 2 pairs of wires and the final output was an extension to Viny's excellent idea...

I guess everyone will agree that there is vey little / no lighting in the rear. To bring light to the rear, we just needed to identify where the LED strips can be stuck so we can have indirect lighting (get light but the bulbs / wires are not to be seen) - some thing like this

Armed with a hand-mirror, I was scrutinizing where the strips can be stuck below the seats. Initially, I thought the rails (on which the seats slide) will be a good place but after sticking it also, it was not that effective. (Thanks to Vignesh Ram again, who helped me by pointing out that the LED light is also being absorbed by my grey floor mats). I finally located a metal rod as part of the passenger seat where I could stick the LED. This is the outcome. Now, with the passenger reading light on, the foot light LED (both front & rear) on the passenger side only will be illuminated, like this.

But no metal rod on the driver side ! I took a chance & stuck it below the seat - SO far it's ok. With the driver reading light on, the foot light LED (both front & rear) on the driver side only will be illuminated, like this.

Thanks again to Viny, for starting this - Without your idea, this couldn't have happened.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Image didn't get uploaded

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  10. Viny

Viny Esperto

@rs3sekar: awesome implementation and beautiful pics, i like the way you placed the led's for rear seat passengers :)