1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY -- Automated Cabin FootLight

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Viny, May 7, 2011.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Ramjn, push back your cars passenger seat, get into the foot well of passenger seat, and try to see below the dashboard, look around various spaces and location. While doing so please note that your car is switched off. Now if required try to put your hands in the gaps with utmost care, and check arround what kind of space is available. This will help you to understand the car internal part and will logically show you up the route to pull the wire underneath the dashboard to driver side.

Dont be scared, just be resonable and logical when you look arround in your car, rest is very easy :)
    And for your confidence building requirements and answer to your query, there is plenty of space under the dashboard to pull the wire from left to right side :)
    2 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Viny for your excellent write up and the confidence you enthused in me :).

Myself and rs3sekar decided to do this exercise together and fixed for today. At around 11 AM I reached rs3sekar's home. We immediately framed the plan and got the wiring from a nearby electrical shop. We started the work with my Linea. The wiring was completed without any hassle. With the experience of first car, we completed the wiring for Punto pretty easily. Now came the most difficult part of our exercise. Soldering the wires into the LED strips. We couldn't succeed on this and we got this done from the electrical shop. Then, I had to leave around 2.30 for another commitment and we decided to complete the exercise separately.

After I came back to my home, I completed the LED strips part. Now, the outcome is Awesome. Since the color of the light is Amber, it easily gels with the car. Special Thanks to rs3sekar for sourcing this Amber LED's.

Let the pictures speak the rest.

DSC01270.jpg

DSC01268.jpg
    3 people like this.
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Looks awesome, great captures and very well done :)
    Can you tell me the which floor mat you are using, they look nice :)
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thats 3D mat. Got it for Rs. 4600. They are very good.
  5. Ramjn - A very humble post from you; considering the fact that you did the wiring for both the cars... :) But I have to admit - As always, Team(FIAT) Work Rocks! :boxer
    Of course, special Thanks to Viny, who thought about this & more importantly; documented & shared the process.
    Thanks to your help & guidance, I accomplished it (after a lot of soldering experiments).
    IMG_0539.jpg
    Like we discussed, the right side switch controls only one of the lights (right or left) and in our current wiring scheme, no floor light :( when the switch is depressed on the right side (when switches are like this)
    IMG_0541.jpg
    Needless to say, the right side switch, when depressed on the left side, controls the left bulb & (so) both the LED strips
    IMG_0538.jpg
    - It's the same result when the left switch is depressed on the right side - Both bulbs & LED strips glow.
    IMG_0540.jpg
    The left switch depressed on the left has no function - Guess that's a feature and not a bug!! Though I remember reading this logic is another post & in the manual, I am writing whatever happens now in my car. Do correct me if I've mentioned anything wrong.

6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    sekar, missed this update for the last 2 days. Busy with the work.
    Pictures are great from your side. I see a small piece of blue wire visible at the driver side. You can insert it further to make it invisible.
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Ramjn -
    Like we discussed, the right side switch controls only one of the lights (right or left) and in our current wiring scheme, no floor light :( when the switch is depressed on the right side (when switches are like this)
    Needless to say, the right side switch, when depressed on the left side, controls the left bulb & (so) both the LED strips

- It's the same result when the left switch is depressed on the right side - Both bulbs & LED strips glow.

The internal circuit is divided into 2 portions (right & left). You might have extended the wiring from the left side of the circuit .So the right switch when depressed right does not have any effect. When it is pressed left, the left portion circuit is now active & this is from where you have extend the wiring. Similarly as in the case of switch on the left side, whatever you do on the switch has got direct effect on the led strips as your wiring is taken from that side.

The left switch depressed on the left has no function - Guess that's a feature and not a bug!! Though I remember reading this logic is another post & in the manual, I am writing whatever happens now in my car. Do correct me if I've mentioned anything wrong

The left switch has got 3 functions . 1) Extreme left :- The lights are in Off mode. 2) Middle position :- The light glows when you open any door 3) Extreme right - The light can be seitched ON even if the door is closed for a few minutes. Hope it is clear now .
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  8. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There are two sources that are coming into cabin light and are isolated with two diodes, take care not to mix them up. Please share the source of Amber LED's. Thanks.
  9. Thanks for that - I have already done that :)

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

I guess it becomes too technical - Diodes etc...! What makes me wonder is we have connected two wires to both bulb bottom inside the cabin light - What does that mean to the circuit & the way it is split?

Please clarify in layman's terms :)

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

I got them through one one of my colleagues from Old Delhi (Lala Lajpat Rai Electrical Market). I am planning to have some light in the rear also; else I would have offered you whatever I have...
  10. Samy Alamuri

Samy Alamuri Amatore

Bhimavaram, India
    Some of the Pics of my Car
    DSC05903.jpg DSC05909.jpg DSC05910.jpg