1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY attempt at wrapping the roof black

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by halfclutch, Oct 8, 2012.

1. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Did you do it naveen ? waiting to see how it looks in punto!! :)
  2. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Not yet Varun, it was raining heavily the last week here in chennai. Will post the pic here once it is done :)
  3. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    Hey naveen please let me know the cost once u do it, even i have a bnw.
    And sorry i am being lazy to post pics of my DIY results, actually i haven't washed my punto in a long time, planning to give to 3M tomorrow.
    Also i am doing some experiments about Italian flag stripes with vinyl.
    1 person likes this.
  4. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Guys, Will I be able to paint my mirror caps by myself as a DIY? Can I order com paint and do it? Will com paint stick to the plastic surface of the mirror caps like in active models?
  5. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I Dont think u can achieve a good finish with spray can. Better do it outside, it wont cost you much, you dont have to match any colour code, just paint it n clear coat it.. wont be much above 500 !!
  6. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    Or may be you can try vinyl wrapping:confused:
  7. sidd

sidd Amatore

delhi
    halfclutch have you done it?
  8. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    @naveen2cool

I am planing to get the roof wrap as DIY and have some queries for the glossy roof wrap.
    1. Have you faced any scratches due to regular washing.
    2. Should we take any Special care while washing.
    3. how the glossy finish now is it look dull.
    4. Any wear and tear due to hot summer and is it going to increase temperature inside the car as we will be using the Black color.

If Gloss wrap is not correct please guide other material which i can go for.If possible please reply ASAP.
  9. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Sorry for replying late. Didn't notice this thread.
    I used matte black vinyl. No special care needs to be taken just do regular washing. I use 3M interior detailer which is used for plastics on my roof vinyl once in a while to make it look new. Other than that I have gone almost 3 years with the roof vinyl and its intact and looks great. No increase in temperature due to black color roof. C'mon, there are even black cars. A roof vinyl is not gonna do any harm practically.
    kedarbendre likes this.
  10. Pavan Puvvada

Pavan Puvvada Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Linea 1.3
    @vista7155 People suggest to go for Matt black fro wrapping and go for glossy black with painting only. I have received the same feedback from many people and even the accessory shops guys as well.