1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY attempt at wrapping the roof black

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by halfclutch, Oct 8, 2012.

1. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Do not remove the rubber beading.. i dont know why.. but my guts say dont do it...

correct...

use the heat gun or hair dryer to tuck the vinyls into the beading's(missed to mention this in above post)

the toughest bit is the front..it is important to get the vinyls tucked inn..other wise i think it will come off , esp in the front due to air drag.
    1 person likes this.
  2. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    i have got the same brand of vinyl buddy. i don't know where can you source it in chennai may be u can try sulekha.com or just dial for that matter.
    when i went to buy the vinyl i was show 3 qualities of it (6 rs/sqft , 10 rs/sqft and 12 rs/sqft).
    the difference between each other is the thickness of the vinyl and the strength of adhesive. i bought the 12 rs/sqft one.:)
    1 person likes this.
  3. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Thomman , God Tussi Great Ho :)

Thanks a lot for pictorial representation. Guess I should practice tucking in the vinyl first and then go for the actual DIY.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

cool. So 6x4=24 sqft then the cost should be 24*12=288 Rs. Thats funtastic I should say. Can't wait for staurday..
  4. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    buddy i did remove the beading while cleaning the roof and fixed it back.
    only thing i noticed is you should keep in mind what side the beading belongs to ( as in it wont fix properly if you place right sides to left.)
    otherwise no issues there :up
    1 person likes this.
  5. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Ohhkk.... but does it fit back in properly.. with out any trouble afterwards.. like coming off easily..

if no then the job has become more easy...
  6. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Guys,

Sourced the Matt finish black vinyl 7x4 ft for Rs 15/sqft. The Vinyl shop guy advised against glossy finish saying it is prone to scratches. I was also convinced as our B-Pillar already has a matt finish :)

the vinyl is MCCAL branded. Any idea about this brand?

this DIY is definitely up on saturday.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    Guys,

The DIY attempt is successful with some compromises ;)

i will post pictures of the completed results soon.

compromises i had to make are :

1. the stupid vinyl guy gave glossy one instead of matte :( , he wrapped the roll in a newspaper and gave it to me also i didn't bother to check if it was correct one.
    2. even though i gave him perfect measurement he cut the vinyl short by almost 15cm :uh so now the roof is having two patches of vinyl.

i ll keep it like that for sometime as it is not very noticeable. May be at the time of TFI's national meet i ll do the entire roof again :cool:
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Guys it was a successful DIY for me :)
    thanks to half clutch for the idea and letting me know the price of the vinyl. The cost of the entire process was just 400 rs and some body pain ;)
    thanks to Thomman for the detailed steps, especially for removing the antenna.
    I removed the side beadings so fixing the vinyl on the sides and back were easy. Fixing the vinyl on the front was the difficult part and Thomman's credit card idea came handy.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg any Fan of Stewie? :D

5.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    vijaysundha, Iyu, Ashpalio and 5 others like this.
  9. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    Thats a pretty neat work in first attempt and we must thank thomman's great tips.
    Btw naveen did you use heat gun or hair dryer sort of tools?

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Btw naveen your seat covers look awesome.. how much did u pay for it?
  10. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Hey halfclutch,

I used a hair dryer and a rubber tool to remove the air bubbles while applying the vinyl, the one the sticker shop guys use. I guess you bought that one as well while buying the vinyl.

Seat covers are of a make called Hi Tech. It is of art leather. ..:: HI-TECH AUTOMOTIVE SEAT COVERS ::..
    Bought this as the color was exactly matching the Punto interiors :) Costed me 5k .